22.73%
10 votes
Platoon
6.82%
3 votes
other
44 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Sudoku Blackbelt

The actual answer is Apocalypse Now, but I voted "other".

Seriously, how is Apocalypse Now not winning hands down?

^Answered

I voted Platoon. I own all those movies with the exception of G.M.V., because I can't handle a whole bunch of Robin Williams.

I like them all though, or else I wouldn't own them.

Most of the time, there are going to be the battle scenes, big and small. People expect that. It's a war picture.

But some movies throw curves. I don't know about anyone else, but I was surprised when I saw 'The Thin Red Line' (1998), I was surprised at how philosophical it was. I'm not saying it was a bad movie, I enjoyed it. But it came from an angle I wasn't expecting.

Some people look at that as a plus for a war movie, some people think that detracts.

I personally thought Apocalypse Now is a little too wordy and a bit overly surreal. But I like it enough to own it. It's just a matter of taste.

Redux version of Apocalypse Now for me

Apocalypse Now edges out the Kubrick for me. Hamburger Hill is probably the most consistently underrated and unfairly forgotten of the combat films, and while not in the same class as Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket I find that DePalma's stylized Casualties of War is one that I'm liking more and more as I see it over the years, after having pretty much blown it off when it was originally released. There is another subcategory of Vietnam War films that aren't considered on the poll and haven't been mentioned yet, and that's the films that deal with the returning veterans Stateside. Hal Ashby's magnificent Coming Home is still the best of these for my taste, but In Country, Jacknife, and Born on the Fourth of July are also very good examples. I'd also make special mention of the 2002 version of The Quiet American, which is a pre-Vietnam War story.

Oh, and the harrowing and gritty Operation Dumbo Drop, too.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Apocalypse Now

no doubt the deer hunter

Platoon was so cool after Charlie Sheen went crazy - watched this one just after he was fired from his job. Full Metal Jacket is a close second, but is actually better when Charlie Sheen isn't in trouble.

For me it was a tough choice between Apocalypse Now and Platoon. Apocalypse Now is more fantasy but the movie grabs your attention throughout, and it's very entertaining if you have a taste for surrealism (which I have)...Platoon on the other hand, in my opinion, portrays the Vietnam war pretty much the way it really was...of course, I don't think every regiment was into kiling their own, but it MIGHT have happened on occasion.

I liked Apocalypse Now, the documentary movie, Hearts and Minds, and Full Metal Jacket.

For me it was a tough choice between Apocalypse Now and Platoon. Apocalypse Now is more fantasy but the movie grabs your attention throughout, and it's very entertaining if you have a taste for surrealism (which I have)...Platoon on the other hand, in my opinion, portrays the Vietnam war pretty much the way it really was...of course, I don't think every regiment was into kiling their own, but it MIGHT have happened on occasion.
I forgot about Platoon. That, too was a good movie, plus it does an affective job of how our government turned our soldiers into killing machines for nothing.

Governments have always turned soldiers into killing machines. The difference is that since the Second World War, we've become much more effective at doing it.

Not voting Apocalypse Now #1 was a tough choice for me. It's such a powerful movie that leaves a lasting impression. But a bit too surreal and focused on characters' peculiar behavior to give me that authentic experience for jungle warfare. I would have to say Platoon.

If I was voting for what I considered the best movie about Vietnam War it would have to be Apacolypse Now but my personal favorite is The Deer Hunter. It gave an overall view of this war and the consequences before, during and after, in a limited amount of time. The characters were richly developed and superbly executed on the screen.
And I think there were a few others you could have included in this poll
such as Hamburger Hill, The Siege Of Firebase Gloria, 84 Charlie Mopic and Iron Triangle ( Beau Bridges ).

I know it's not set in Vietnam and it's about the pre-Vietnam training down in Louisiana, but I thought 2000's "Tigerland" was a pretty good flick. Anyone else?

(Voted for "Platoon," by the way)
Yup. I, too saw Tigerland, and thought it was good. I liked Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, as well.

I know it's not set in Vietnam and it's about the pre-Vietnam training down in Louisiana, but I thought 2000's "Tigerland" was a pretty good flick. Anyone else?

(Voted for "Platoon," by the way)
Sure, Tigerland was a well made flick and I enjoyed it.

I went with Full Metal Jacket. I recently re-watched Apocalypse Now (original version) and liked it better than I ever have before, but I still don't think it's a great movie. I remember thinking it was interesting that one of the scenes included in the Redux version focused on French plantation-owners, which is an aspect of the war that is rarely seen in movies, but I would have to see it again to say more than that.

For movies not listed I would rank Casualties of War as one of the best, and there are a number of interesting movies that are about subjects peripheral to the battles of the war but rather deal with different human or political aspects or dramatize the war differently than the usual War idiom.

Boat People, The Quiet American, The Killing Fields, Little Dieter Needs to Fly are a few of these.
Killing Fields was excellent, as was Hearts & Minds. The Quiet American I didn't like, and Little Dieter Needs to Fly & Casualties of War are films that I've never heard of, let alone seen. I also really liked Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket.

no doubt the deer hunter
To each their own, but I didn't like The Deer Hunter. I thought that it glorified war too much, and depicted the Vietnamese as overly cruel, when, in fact, it was the other way around; the United States was extremely cruel.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I have not seen this in a long time and even then I only saw it once but I remember liking it.

A Soldiers Sweetheart (1998)

From what I can tell it is pretty impossible to get, 27.00 for the VHS on Amazon, and it's not even on DVD, but if I ever do see it again I will come back with a more firm assessment of the movie.