Movie Tab II

Tools    

Damn it JD, now I feel like a douche with my tiny reviews...

Might as well, anyway. Here's what I've seen over the last couple of days:

Goon (Michael Dowse, 2011)
Your typical vulgar comedy with a violent edge and surprisingly big heart.

Reservoir Dogs (Quentin Tarantino, 1992)
Not his best work (that's a toss up between Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill: Vol. 1) but a very impressive debut that is superbly acted and wonderfully entertaining.

A Serious Man (Joel & Ethan Coen, 2009)
A thinker, and sort of depressing. There's something I like about it, though. Superbly made, as expected, and there's something about its pessimism that I find strangely refreshing.

Secretary (Steven Shainberg, 2002)
Intriguing, funny, sexy, original, and a phenomenal central performance.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Eddie Murphy Raw (1987)

Probably my favourite Eddie Murphy film to date, even though it isn't strictly a narrative film.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Bedazzled (1967) - This film comes with my highest recommendation possible. A brilliant British comedy starring Dudley Moore as a timid cook who sells his soul to the Devil, played by Peter Cook, for a chance at love with a waitress at his workplace. The movie is philosophical, clever, and hilariously funny. The jokes just build and build like a snowball rolling down a hill until the final sequence which had me nearly crying with laughter. Cook and Moore play off each other perfectly. I want to seek out any of the other films the duo had made together. I've seen the remake of this too, but it's not even in the same league. Not even slightly.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Ed Wood (1994)

Even though this is about a man who directed some of the worst films of all time, this entire film is about love for cinema, which Ed Wood was desperate to contribute to, albeit poorly. Solid performances all round. Probably the best Tim Burton film to date.

+

The deep blue sea (2011) - Davies - -

This film seems to be infused with nostalgia; a lot of the shots even have a very soft dreamy focus. The set design was exquisite. The acting of the two male characters was too well done: their characters are so completely rendered in their first scenes that the audience can easily anticipate what's to follow, and a lot of the drama seems anti-climatic.

Rabbit proof fence (2002) - Noyce - -

Liked this more than I thought I would, and the film is really restrained, given the materal. The Government men would simply kidnap mixed race aboriginal children, raise them down south as white--- with the stated ministral goal of trying to breed native population out of existence. However, the three newly arrived young girls decide to hike back home.

Men Don't Leave (1990) - Brickman - -

The drama remains first and foremost and the quirkiness and the sly humor is never allowed to overwhelm this story about grief. Although now, the side plot about twenty something radiologist (Joan Cusack) shacking up with a seventeen year old high school student might raise a few more eyebrows. The was the first role for the child actor, Charlie Korsmo, who despite a good movie run, went off to University and never came back.

Germinal (1993) - Berri - -

The thing of it is, poor people never realize society and the world at large have been systemically manipulated to keep them running on the hamster wheels of low wages and debt. But ever so often, the overseers make a mistake and provide them with the straw that breaks the camel's back. In addition to the strike at the mine, this is a nice glimpse at life and the working conditions back then. The moral? When mothers beg for bread to feed their starving children, it's probably in your own interest to pass them a couple of loaves. Yipes!

Battlestar Galattca (2004) - Season one - -

Yeah, I know it's a TV series and it doesn't quite belong here. But near the end of the season, a funny thought occurred to me ... this is basically Spartacus in outer space, but told from the Patrician's point of view, with the slaves so completely demonized, they're metallic monsters. And the thing that really scares them witless is that some of this tin can army, have so evolved, they can actually pass for real human beings, capable of thought and emotion and maybe even a soul. So yeah, I'm cheering for the Cyclons from here on in.

Along the ridge / Anche libero va bene (2006) - Stuart - -

Nothing really earth shattering happens here. We get a naturalistic and bittersweet slice of life from Tommi, an 11 year old boy and his dysfunctional family; he and his sister are only just slightly neglected. As the film progresses, little bits of information slowly spin the story away from what we originally assumed it was. There's something poignant and wonderful the way Tommi always ends up siding with the bullied; willing to sit beside them, quietly sharing their burden so they're not so alone.

Dying at Grace (2003) - King - -

This Documentary follows five terminally ill patients in a palliative care unit in Toronto. The ward psychologist (or hospital Pastor?) sifts the mental state of the patients and what comes out is the side effects of medication; wanting to hold onto one's dignity when your physical body is slipping away from you. And of course, beliefs about life and death and the afterlife. The vigilant nursing staff monitors their physical and mental state, note each dip or uptick in their health. They become at times, almost like tribal women, gathering around the dying patient in a circle of life. A wonderful mediation on death and dying.

quick jabs:

Copycat (1995, Amiel):
+
Tigerland (2000, Schumacher):

Atrocious directing and ditto cinematography make this an utterly forgettable experience.

The Artist (2011, Hazanavicius):
+
Bernie (2011, Linklater):
+
The White Shiek (1952, Fellini):
+
Real Steel (2011, Levy):

The Street With No Name (1948, Keighley):

It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963, Kramer):

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)

An entertaining, if unexceptional actioner with a solid Tom Cruise in the lead and some nice support from Pegg, Renner and Patton.

+

Is white trash beautiful
Lolita (1962) Stanley Kubrick

I know this probably not Kubrick's most popular film but I really enjoyed it and not alot of directors would be able to tackle A film like Lolita but Kubrick succeeded.Shelly Winters was amazing in this film. James Mason and Peter Sellers did a great job playing difficult characters.I love the twists and turns in this film and I found myself relating alot to Lolita and hey I was 18 when I met Plainview lol

The Descendants 2011 Alexander Payne

Melancholia 2011 Lars Von Trier

I do wanna say that I absolutely love love Kristen Dunst role in this film.I thought she glowed utter beauty!
Black Moon 1975 Louis Malle

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close Stephen Daldry

Equilibrium Kurt Wimmer

Dark City 1998 Alex Proyas

The Immortals 2011 Tarsem Singh

Last night's bill, first:

The Station Agent (Thomas McCarthy, 2003)
Poignant and funny; a unique and riveting slice-of-life tale.

Then a mini documentary rampage:

Man on Wire (James Marsh, 2008)
A very interesting look at Philippe Petit and his "antics". The man walks a fine line (pun VERY MUCH INTENDED) between endearingly insane and douchetastic, but I don't think the point of the film was to make us like him, as much as to give a thorough and skilfully structured account of the events. They succeed in that respect.

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters (Seth Gordon, 2007)
Such a marvellous surprise. Unexpectedly engrossing film that builds an almost stereotypical hero vs. villain story within the character-filled and often hilarious world of competitive arcade gaming.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated (Kirby Dick, 2006)
Well put together and very entertaining exposé of the MPAA.

All in all a very good night's watching.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Arthur (1981) - Dudley Moore stars as Arthur Bach, an alcoholic billionaire who's seemingly stuck in a prolonged adolescence. Arthur is being forced by his businessman father to marry a woman he doesn't love but would be perfect to run the company in Arthur's stead, but he's fallen madly in love with a woman he catches shoplifting at an expensive clothing store.

The acting in this is pretty brilliant stuff. We have Dudley Moore, who brings megawatt charm, and an air of sadness to his character's drunken obnoxiousness, John Gielgud as his long suffering butler/surrogate father, Hobson, and Liza Minelli, who's endearingly brash and unconventionally cute as the woman of Arthur's dreams. Gielgud and Moore's scenes together are funny as hell but also touching and they make the film for me. I know there was a remake but it's so over the top and cartoonish that it hurts me to watch it. The original's light and dark, happy and sad vibe has been lost and that's what endeared it to me so much.

Two great films I've watched recently...

The Long Goodbye (Robert Altman, 1973)-

My Altman exploration continues with another masterpiece. This ranks, for me, among Chinatown and Blade Runner as a great update to the film noir genre. Elliott Gould is fantastic.

Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)-

Epic on a scale few directors would attempt and even less would accomplish. Lady Kaede may rank as my all-time favorite female movie villain.

The Man Who Sleeps (Un homme qui dort) (1974) -

The first half of the film is an existential masterpiece, while towards the end it becomes a little repetitive. A movie that is highly underrated.

Let The Bullets Fly (2011) -

Somehow the comedy was bland and did not gel with the movie. Nothing special here- the lines between good & evil are drawn out clearly.

The One-armed Swordsman (1967) -

Decent acting with decent martial arts. Movie was predictable... i cant see why its considered a Shaw Brothers classic. The 36th Chamber of Shaolin was much, much better imo.

Kiss The Girls (1997)

A serious disappointment. I've seen this film years ago, and remember liking it then, but this viewing exposes it as a pretty standard psychological thriller. Considering I have a soft spot for the serial killer subgenre, and and as a fan of Morgan Freeman, I expected to still have the same enjoyment for it. Instead, it falls kind of flat.

A special mention, though, goes to Cary Elwes. Much like Honeykid and James Remar, for some strange reason, I like Cary Elwes onscreen in pretty much everything, which is weird, because I've never really thought much of him until now.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) -
Here is the full review

Passchendaele (2008) -
Here is the full review

11/11/11 (2011) -
- Seriously what the hell, I remember watching the trailer and really looking forward to seeing this movie. When I finally saw it, well it was just boring as hell.

Contact (1997) - [rating]4[/rating - A lot of people did not like this movie but I really loved this movie, yes it does have it's slow parts but I think it just really helped to put the story togother.

Red Planet (2000) -
- What can I say about this movie, hmmm, this is just an average movie. There is nothing horrible about it and there's nothing great about it, I am sure most here have seen this already but if your into Sci-Fi movies and have not then it's worth checking out.

First Men in the Moon (1964) -
- I really loved this movie, it's just a great classic cheap Sci-Fi film where the people travel to the moon in a ridiculous shuttle type thing, sleeping in hammocks all the way, and run into really funny looking aliens, definitely worth watching.

Cashback (2004) -
- A student/artist with a vivid imagination pretends to stop time while working the graveyard shift at a supermarket in order to draw the people, plenty of nudity but there was just something about this movie that I did not like, I just found it to be boring and tedious.

Bitch Slap (2009) -
- There is only one good to say about this movie, I gave it a
because it is basically 3 really hot girls in really skimpy clothing fighting with each other pretty much the entire lenght of the movie. I know some will appreciate me putting the larger image for the poster on here.

Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962) -
- For some reason in the past couple of weeks I have been watching quite a few cheesy old Sci-Fi movies. This is another one that is great, all of these old Sci-Fi movies are just more hillarious then anything, really worth watching.

Moneyball (2011) -
- I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one but this movie just did nothing for me, I found it boring and I really don't know what all the big deal was that was being made over this movie when it first came out in theaters.

The Legend is Born: Ip Man (2010) -
- Not that I really mind but what the hell is the deal with all the movies coming out about Ip Man, This is the third I have watched within the last few months and I know that there is another one on the way called the Grandmaster I believe, what got the sudden interest in the story of Ip Man because it has been around for a long time.

The Great Raid (2005) -
- This was a really good movie showing the hazards and the horrible treatment of POW's. I thought the acting in this movie was great and it is based on a really awesome true story which always helps. The ending... well you just have to watch the movie.

The Mothman Prophecies (2002) -
- I really have nothing to say about this movie, nothing to bad nothing to good, a pretty interesting story but that's about it. Most people have seen this movie but if you have not then I am not going to recommend it, in my opinion just not worth your time.

Them (Ils) (2006) -
- Directors by David Moreau and Xavier Palud did an amazing job in demonstrating that it is what you do not see that is scarier than what you do. Just a really great movie, I recommend anyone who has not seen this go and find a copy and enjoy.

Fight Night (2008) aka Rigged -
- Again another movie that just kind of hangs in the middle without being anything special, in the world of underground fighting a fight fixer finds a girl that can kick all the guys asses and is pretty cute. This movie might bother some people because the girl does get her face beaten in a few times also.

Beneath Hill 60 (2010) -
- Here is the full review

Soylent Green (1973) -
- Another movie that I should have watched a long time ago but put off until just recently, I was afraid it would just bore me and was pleasantly suprised that it didn't. I thought this was a great movie and I love how Charlton Heston always get's those great one liners in his movies, I don't think I can put it in here without it being a spoiler though. There method of dealing with the riots is something that I think is a great idea and should be put into effect worldwide immediately.

Warhorse (2011) -
- I am a huge fan of war movies and this one did not really dissapoint as far as that goes. What killed this movie for me was the music that played during all the emotional seens, I want to feel what I feel not what the director is shoving down my throat. Plus this movie was predictable as hell, you could already tell quite a few things that were going to happen later in the movie by 15 minutes in.

1911 (2011) -
- Another was movie that I was really looking forward to seeing and was really let down by, the story was good but im my opinion very poorly put togother, the subtitles on the screen telling you who people were or what was happening were to tiny to read. The biggest problem for me is all the military outfits looked the same, it was so hard to keep track of who was fighting who during the battle scenes, all that having been said Jackie Chan was really great in it as it was something different then his usual slapstick martial arts movies.

Zenith (2010) -
- This is a really interesting movie, I thought it was really original and very well executed. In a world where the general populus has become blinded by happiness there are some who actually by drugs to feel pain, I thought that was a pretty cool idea. Basically the son finds out his father was about to uncover the truth behind a goverment conspiracy to keep everyone in this happy state, after something happens the son must take up where the father left off and run with it, a really great thriller.

Young Adult (2011) -
- What the hell did I just watch, was that supposed to be a comedy or some kind of sad tragic love story. Seriously I thought this was supposed to be a comedy and I do not believe I laughed once, the story sucks and nothing happens, nothing!

Another Earth (2011) -
- After you watch this movie you find yourself wondering what you would do if you had the oppurtunity Brit (Rhoda Williams) had, would you tell him, how would you, if you could meet another version of yourself what would you say. I thought this was a great movie and not really anything like I was expecting it to be, this is not a Sci-Fi movie, I guess you would just put this under the Drama category.

Night of the Living Dead 3D (2006) -
- I hate to give a zombie movie such a low rating but what started out as a shot for shot remake quickly disintigrated into something else completely. You still have the female lead, the farmhouse out in the middle of the country so that part is the same, for some reason and really the best part of the movie is that they threw Sid Haig in the story as a mortician with a heart. Here's the part I had the biggest problem with, HOW THE HELL DO YOU HAVE A WHITE GUY PLAY THE PART OF BEN? Seriously don't waste your time with this one.

11/11/11 (2011) -
- Seriously what the hell, I remember watching the trailer and really looking forward to seeing this movie. When I finally saw it, well it was just boring as hell.
Yeah, I thought the trailer looked quite interesting. However, I've seen more than enough crap to worry that the trailer was all there was and, for that reason, I've not bothered with this.

Bitch Slap (2009)
This has always struck me as a film that's trying way too hard, so I've not seen it.

Warhorse (2011)... What killed this movie for me was the music that played during all the emotional seens, I want to feel what I feel not what the director is shoving down my throat.
While I understand the complaint (and, as it's a Speilberg film, you should've expected it) but that's what every director does with every film they make. It's their vision and all the choices they make are designed to make you feel/see things a certain way.

1911 (2011) -
- Another was movie that I was really looking forward to seeing and was really let down by, the story was good but im my opinion very poorly put togother, the subtitles on the screen telling you who people were or what was happening were to tiny to read. The biggest problem for me is all the military outfits looked the same, it was so hard to keep track of who was fighting who during the battle scenes, all that having been said Jackie Chan was really great in it as it was something different then his usual slapstick martial arts movies.
If you'd just mentioned Jackie Chan at the top, you'd have saved me having to read all that.

Young Adult (2011)... Seriously I thought this was supposed to be a comedy and I do not believe I laughed once
Virtually every comedy film I've ever seen.

the story sucks and nothing happens, nothing!
A lot of them are like this, too.

Night of the Living Dead 3D (2006)
Sorry, but you've only yourself to blame here. If you can't tell from that title to avoid this, you shouldn't be allowed to the cinema on your own.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
While I understand the complaint (and, as it's a Speilberg film, you should've expected it) but that's what every director does with every film they make. It's their vision and all the choices they make are designed to make you feel/see things a certain way.
I do understand that, I know that all movie directors have their vision and designs to make you feel a certain way, most of the time it is okay but with Warhorse it just felt way over the top, more than I can think of in any movie I have seen.