Cannes Film Festival Awards

Tools    

It was beauty killed the beast.
Today the awards were given out at the Cannes Film Festival, and Kong is here to bring you the results.

Palme d'Or: "Elephant," Gus Van Sant, United States.

Grand Prize: "Uzak" (Distant), Nuri Bilge Ceylan, Turkey.

Jury Prize: "At Five in the Afternoon," Samira Makhmalbaf, Iran.

Best Director: Gus Van Sant, United States, "Elephant."

Best Actors: Muzaffer Ozdemir and Mehmet Emin Toprak, Turkey, "Uzak."

Best Actress: Marie-Josee Croze, Canada, "The Barbarian Invasions."

Best Screenplay: "The Barbarian Invasions," Denys Arcand, Canada.

Golden Camera (first-time director): Christoffer Boe, Denmark, "Reconstruction."

Best short film: "Cracker Bag," Glendyn Ivin, Australia.

Jury Prize for short film: "The Man Without a Head," Juan Solanas, France.

Surprisingly Lars Von Trier's Dogville, which was considered a front-runner in many categories, won absolutely nothing! You folks may have also heard that critics present at the festival complained that it was the worst line-up of films in 20 years, and were, needless to say, very dissappointed. Vincent Gallo's film The Brown Bunny was booed, as was he during his Q&A session. Numerous critics said it was the worst film to ever play at Cannes, and it was lambasted so heavily that Gallo vowed to never direct again.

On a more positive note Van Sant's Elephant is sure to find a distributor after its surprising victory, and Dogville was picked up for distribution for $6M by Lions Gate.

Nice to see someone else who pays attention to the only awards show that really matters (aside from Sundance)

Pleased that Van sant may finally be returning to form after so many letdowns. (Drugstore Cowboy was the last great Van Sant effort IMO.)

The film that had me most excited in the festival was the new one by Micheal Haneke (Funny Games)- Ive heard its an apocalyptic thriller and I cant wait to see it.

Is strange that Von Trier's DOGVILLE didnt garner awards but hey Im sure it will be worth a screening. (Even though Im not a big Kidman fan)

Heartbreaking news about Gallo and his reactionary retirment. I Adored Buffallo 66 and think that he obviously has talent and skill

Although universally criticised as one of the worst Festivals in memory there are still several films that are now on my must see list if they ever reach Oz.