8) Goodfellas
7) Empire Strikes Back
6) Shawshank Redemption
5) Star Wars Ep 1
4) Alien
3) Casablanca
2) Blade Runner
1) Star Wars

I agree it's not a great list; that was last years though; this years list, which came out today features:

10) Pulp Fiction
9) Breakfast at Tiffany's
8) Goodfellas
7) Gladiator
6) Fight Club
5) The Matrix
4) The Godfather
3) The Shawshank Redemption
2) The Empire Strikes Back
1) Star Wars

Blade Runner dropped to 16
Casablanca to 15
Alien to 23
Saving private Ryan to 20 and
Episode 1 wasn't in the top 50.

Well at least Ep 1 disapeared. But this list doesnt seem all that great either, haha! Star wars no.1, eeeek!

Now With Moveable Parts
Gladiator as one of the top 10 Movies of ALL time.Jeez...I could think of 100 movies better than that one...it was good sure,but it was just a movie...not a film.Same with fight club.

Gladiator is far closer to the ten worst films of all time than it is the ten best.

Now With Moveable Parts
Hear,Hear! Sultan Big Pants...I totally agree! Gladiator winning the oscar for best picture was an all time low for the academy...certianly Traffic was superior.Billy Elliot wasn't even nominated! Horrendous!

Here's a quick list off the top of my head in no particular order, and these are just some quick ones with no thought behind them at all. I still like em though and would argue the point for each.

10. Blue Velvet
9. Casablanca
8. Dr. Strangelove
7. 2001
6. The Wizard of Oz
5. Apocalypse Now
4. The Godfather
3. Raging Bull
2. Pulp Fiction
1. Chasing Amy

Now With Moveable Parts
wow...Blue Velvet and Chasing Amy...I don't know.I liked both of those movies...but top 10 of all time? Whew,that's such a huge honor ya know...a movie has to be so well done on all levels.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by OG-
10: Titanic
9: The Matrix
8: Braveheart
7: American Beauty
6: Ravenous
5: L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
4: American History X
3: Gladiator
2: Pulp Fiction
1: The Shawshank Redemtion
I go with this list except for number six I'd go with Forest Gump and number three I'd go with Goodfellas.The rest of this list is perfect.Not particularly in that order...and Alien should be on there somewhere.

The Matrix and Braveheart are not two of the greatest movies ever made. I mean sure the Matrix had some kick @ss fight scenes, but nobody got the movie the first time through (at least me and many other people that I know). This could have been remedied with better directing and maybe a story that wasn't so Jesus-like. While Braveheart is an excellent movie it just doesn't have the character depth and or charisma of a movie that deserves to be in the top 10.

I like Blue Velvet it is a journey into the seedy underbelly of "normal" suburbia. Dennis Hoppers character kept me entertained for days after I watched it and he made me wonder (even though it doesn't matter): Did he like the material Blue Velvet or the song Blue Velvet first?

Chasing Amy is one of the few movies that is able to clearly define the way a person feels sexually inadequate. I loved Ben Afflecs performance and especially Jason Mews. It just captured sex and relationships so well. On top of the drama of the movie it was funny as hell.

Like I said though this list came to me in like one minute but I will defend any and all of them even though im sure that I should have put any number of other movies.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Zweeedorf
The Matrix and Braveheart are not two of the greatest movies ever made. I mean sure the Matrix had some kick @ss fight scenes, but nobody got the movie the first time through (at least me and many other people that I know). This could have been remedied with better directing and maybe a story that wasn't so Jesus-like. While Braveheart is an excellent movie it just doesn't have the character depth and or charisma of a movie that deserves to be in the top 10.
No character depth? Are we even talking about the same movie? Did you see the part when Mel Gibson discovers that his friend with the nobels betrayed him? Both actors did a phenominal job portraying both sides...Mel Gibson with the betrayal and the other actor with his own self-disgust.Just Gibson in general dove head first into this role.All the characters were dynamic...The king,the princess,the nobles...Sorry,I could defend this movie for eons.The academy noticed also.

I can see where Marky's coming from with all of his choices, because none of them are bad movies...although I would vote to remove most of them from a top ten list.

As for Peter's list, well, we all make mistakes. There's still time to take off every single movie on it. I know you'll do the right thing.

Originally posted by Zweeedorf
Braveheart is friggin' packed with character depth.

And no one got The Matrix? Wah? I was like 14 when it came out and it was very easy to follow. As for the Biblical similiarities: maybe you don't realize this, but there are a TON of movies with religious undertones. It's pretty difficult to avoid, I'd imagine. ET's were almost blatant, but I'll bet you liked that movie.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Yes my list did kinda blow, but I'd leave Shawshank, Titanic, American Beauty, and a few others on there.

Is Zweeee gone again? I want him to explain the 2001 obelisk to me. Pigsnie said it is the Universal chocolate bar but I dont think so.

"My God! It's full of stars"

Or as Zwee would say "Where did that ******* oblisk come from? What stupid ****** ***** left that there when I'm trying to turn!? Get that ******* piece of **** out of the way! Are those ******* stars? *** **** it!"
[Edited by sunfrog on 09-24-2001]

BEWA HAHAHAHAAAAA !!!!!!

Whoever mentioned that Braveheart had no character depth is just flat-out wrong. End of story.

Also, the British population voted The Phantom Menace one of the best films of all time? Wow, they never did recover from the loss of Graham Chapman did they?

Tho oblisk is a piece of technology created by the aliens to spark evolution. That is my own personal opinion though and the only one that makes sense.

As for my list it is now: Chasing Amy, Do the Right Thing, Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Pulp Fiction, Apocalypse Now, The Godfather, Raging Bull, Casablanca, and Requiem for a Dream.

The whole religious thing is done in a lot of movies put not to the straight foward way that the Matrix does. I felt like I was in Bible class or somethin. I dont know all of the technical terms cause i dont go to church. F it.

Also just becasue Mel makes a face when he is betrayed doesn't mean that he has depth.

Here's an example of depth from Casablanca. Rick as we know owns his own cafe and the rest of his life is hinted at to intrigue us into loving his character. You can tell he has been around played both sides. He's a loner but at the same time he loves Ilsa and wants her, but he lets her go for the better of the war. That is fing depth. What a movie!!!!!!

The whole religious thing is done in a lot of movies put not to the straight foward way that the Matrix does. I felt like I was in Bible class or somethin. I dont know all of the technical terms cause i dont go to church. F it.
Technical terms? Huh?

Bible class? Dude, you so crazy. Did you like ET? ET had a lot more of that...it was much more straightforward. The Matrix had TONS of references...and not all of them relating to The Bible. I was browsing a Matrix fan site the other day, and was amazed at how many hidden references there were...the Biblical ones (well, some of them...some are a bit hidden, or at least they are to those not familiar with The Good Book) are just easier to spot, but the basic premise of The Bible is so very well-known.

Also just becasue Mel makes a face when he is betrayed doesn't mean that he has depth.
You said character depth, man...to me that's a bit seperate from the actual acting...it's more about what happens to the character, and how they react to it, and not as much about the actor who is playing them. The script is loaded with character development, obviously. I think Gibson is a good actor, BTW.