Gyllenhaal family

Tools    

history *is* moralizing
i know i know, they do appear in other threads, but what dya all think of the daughter Maggie, of the son Jake, of the father and his movies and of the rest of 'em?
you MAY compare them with other celeb families, if you wish, but not the Osbourne, pleeeaaaaassee!

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Well Dad directed some cool TV shows. I was a big fan of Felicity.
Jake is just a wonderful, handsome, dreamy, talented actor. *swoon*
Maggie is an actress to envy. Her work in Secretary was so fab. I'm anxious to see what she'll be doing next. I didn't see Mona lisa smile (JULIA!! ACK!!) but I hope her next movies will be with co-stars I can live with. She's doing a movie called Mostor House with Steve Buscemi. 2005

history *is* moralizing
hei, 2wrongs, we share so many common tastes! "Julia!! Ack!!" was real nice! i agree with you, but i HAD TO see that movie just for Maggie (even if she doesn't appear so much in it)... Steve is lucky, he already played with Scarlett too! *sigh*!
Has anyone seen these movies (Stephen G. is the director):
Waterland (1992)
Homegrown (1998)???
Maggie was in them too.

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by ProfessionalCrazedFan
They're hot.
Thank you for sharing.

history *is* moralizing
so... no one saw any of them?
and yes they're hot! but... do you include the father in those comments?
hehe

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I've only ever liked one of Jakes roles.. (October Sky)... I don't find Maggie attractive either.

Randomly visiting for now
Maggie is a real cute girl from what I've seen, which is proffessional photo shoots off my friend's website, which may bias me a little because the poses/lighting/makeup aren't exactly natural. I do remember her vaguely in Donnie Darko and I guess she did an ok job or I would have remembered otherwise, also she did a great job in the Secretary.

The Gyllenhaals are certainly a talented family from where I'm sitting and Maggie is one beautiful young girl to boot.

p.s. this is kind of a weird thread

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by SpoOkY
Maggie is a real cute girl from what I've seen, which is proffessional photo shoots off my friend's website, which may bias me a little because the poses/lighting/makeup aren't exactly natural. I do remember her vaguely in Donnie Darko and I guess she did an ok job or I would have remembered otherwise, also she did a great job in the Secretary.

The Gyllenhaals are certainly a talented family from where I'm sitting and Maggie is one beautiful young girl to boot.

p.s. this is kind of a weird thread
1) yeah, attractiveness and stuff, but let's not forget the acting talent is probably more important, and i do think Maggie's a very good actress when she's given the occasion, like in Secretary. in movies like 40 Days and 40 Nights where she appears like 3 minutes, what else could she be than just cute? Donnie Darko doesn't give her so many occasions either, but still, she gives an impression of having potential. i'm still waiting for new movies where she'll be the main character, and we'll see.
2) even if i could forget i love Donnie Darko so much, i think i'd still consider Jake's performance in that movie very good.
3) weird thread ? but positively, isn't it? reason for such a thread? (apart from obviously subjective ones based on taste): those three Gyllenhaals mean quite a lot of movies already, enough material to have a lot to talk about!

history *is* moralizing
has anyone seen Strip Search, with Maggie?

Neutral Milk Hotel
I only like Donnie Darko and October Sky. All of Jakes other movies are terrible IMO. I havent seen much of Maggie except in Donnie Darko.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I just saw Jake G in an old episode of Homicide: Life on the Streets. I would guess he was around 13 and he did an amazing job. I liked him in whatever I've seen him in, but I think he needs a good role that isn't a mopey introvert, for a change.

I loved Maggie G's work in Secretary - the physicality and gestures she used for the character were really great and she had a lot of vulnerability that made the character likeable and relatable. She's a welcome break from the typical Brittany-esque Hollywood starlet type, as well.

I think anybody who gets a lot of work from their family has something to overcome. There's always that suspicion that it's nepotism. <cough>ToriSpelling<cough> In the case of the Gylenhaals, they're both very good at what they do.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I liked him in whatever I've seen him in, but I think he needs a good role that isn't a mopey introvert, for a change.
You'll be eating those words when he does a Nicolas Cage and starts doing Bruckheimer action/adventure movies.

I like Jake quite a bit. just about everything I've seen him in so far (minus the child roles) have shown that he has some real talent budding. I don't think he's come close to reaching his full potential yet, though. This is how I’d rate the starring performances that I’ve seen so far:
  • Moonlight Mile
  • The Good Girl
  • Donnie Darko
  • October Sky
  • Bubble Boy
  • The Day After Tomorrow

Yeah, I love Donnie Darko the most as far as the movies go, but I thought there was more depth to the characters he portrayed with the two films that beat it. I don’t particularly think it’s his fault, but that the script was written better as far as character development goes. And yes, I think he was better in Bubble Boy than he was with his completely uninspired character in The Day After Tomorrow. I didn’t hate the film or his performance, but they were both…eh. I’ve seen Homegrown, but I don’t remember his, or his sister’s, characters at all. I usually forget everything about a movie within a month or two if I wasn’t all that into it. Anyway…

With Maggie, I have far less exposure to her, so I can’t really comment. Many of the films she’s been in, I haven’t seen for a long time, and when I did, I didn’t have a clue she was someone worth remembering specifically. I have seen Secretary and like it, her role, and Spader’s role quite well…but I don’t think that it was particularly amazing in any way at all. Many of her more recent movies where she plays supporting roles, I never really wanted to see all that much anyway, so I have no clue how she did.

I haven’t seen Strip Search, Chico…but if you think that might be one where I can see her shine, I will certainly look for it.

I have never watched any of Stephen Gyllenhaal’s television direction before, it’s not really my taste, so again, I can’t comment. I have seen Homegrown, which I mentioned I thought was okay, but nothing special, and Losing Isaiah, which I thought had a ‘made for TV’ feel to it, which I hate for big screen films. So, all in all, I’m not that impressed other than he’s done better in film than I ever have.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I got for good luck my black tooth.
For me, Maggie has something very sexy about her, though I don't know what it is. She was the only thing I liked about Mona Lisa Smile

Neutral Milk Hotel
I didnt know she was in that. Illl have to see it.

history *is* moralizing
thanx and congrats for the great post, Slay.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
[list][*]Moonlight Mile[*]The Good Girl[*]Donnie Darko

Many of her more recent movies where she plays supporting roles, I never really wanted to see all that much anyway, so I have no clue how she did.

I haven’t seen Strip Search, Chico…but if you think that might be one where I can see her shine, I will certainly look for it.
1) so, i'll have to see Moonlight Mile and The Good Girl. i dunno, there's a coolness about him i appreciate, like in Maguire. plus, listening to the comments made me like him even more. he was not overproud or vane, but smart, cool and funny.

2) problem is, she never got a role other than in Secretary where she really had an opportunity to show her talent. same thing as for her brother, for the comments. and i liked her interviews too.

3) she's pretty good in Strip Search. it's a quite impossible-to-find movie. no dvd, no commercially available tape. but one can find it on e-bay. (or i'll make you a copy and bring it over to you!! )

i'm planning on rewatching some of the father's movies, and watch the ones i don't know of.
i read Waterland (1992) and A Dangerous Woman (1993) are good ones.

Jake
1. Donnie Darko

2. Brothers

3. Sourcecode-

4. The day After Tommorow-

5. Love and Other Drugs-

Maggie
1. Donniedarko

2. The Dark Knight-

3. Nanny McPhee Returns-

Until we lose ourselves we have no hope of finding ourselves
Maggie = way better Rachel Dawes than Holmes