Downton Abbey 3

Tools    

Yes, it's official now!

Downton Abbey is getting a “final” chapter, according to Imelda Staunton.

The actress, who played Queen Mary’s lady-in-waiting Lady Maud Bagshaw in the first two films, has confirmed reports that a third movie is in the works.

Asked about Downton Abbey rumors by BBC Radio 2 breakfast show host Zoe Ball, Staunton said: “There will be the final film – there you go.”

Ball joked that she hoped Staunton was not going to get into trouble for the revelation, to which the actress replied: “I don’t care.”

Julian Fellowes’ wildly successful period drama started life as a television series on ITV in 2020. It went on to spawn six seasons and two movies, helping put British drama on the map internationally.

Staunton’s comments followed a report in The Sun on Wednesday, which claimed that the third movie will film at Highclere Castle over the summer and premiere next year.

The Sun also reported that The Holdovers star Paul Giamatti could reprise his role as Harold Levinson, the brother of the Countess of Grantham, after he appeared in the 2013 Christmas special.

Speaking ahead of the release of Downton Abbey: A New Era in 2022, Fellowes said cast and crew have struggled to let go of the franchise.

“They say goodbye, everyone cries, and two years later we’re back at it,” he told the Radio Times. “I think each time it’s goodbye, but whether it is or not, who knows?”

Carnival Films and NBCUniversal have been contacted for comment.

Downton Abbey: A New Era grossed nearly $93M worldwide, while the first movie made $195M in 2019, according to Box Office Mojo.

Milking this to death.