Watchability

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
I was in my movie rental store recently, and I saw the movieScooby-Doo sitting on the shelf. I had heard it was just awful, and with a blonde Freddie Prinze Jr. staring back at me from the box I thought "Don't do it, Don't rent it!"
Needless to say, I rented it. I mean only the store clerk would know right? Well, except for you guys now.

The movie turned out to be a predictable, by-the-numbers, cross-over movie with plenty of CGI and creaky dialogue.

But, it wasn't awful. It had a certain charm. There were a few funny moments and The CGI Scooby-Doo was almost seamless. There was some nifty camera work and the sets were stunning.
I'm glad I saw it. I won't buy it, or rent it again but it wasn't downright awful.

My question is this;

Are there any movies you have seen, that you heard were bad, but watched them anyway, and they turned out to be OK, in fact you were glad you watched them?

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

Glitter was ALMOST ok for me and BARELY watchable. I thought it was pretty bad, but not anywhere near as bad as everyone says. 2.2 on the IMDB?? That's pretty underrated.

I didn't hate Pearl Harbor as much as I thought I would. Like yours however, once was enough.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The Fat of the Mailbox
I watched Time Machine last night. The plot was flakey, but It had some nice eye candy. And I wathced it till the end, which can mean a lot sometimes.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. I knew, KNEW!!!! this was going to be a bad movie, but I went to see it anyway (This is a story that will only make sense to me, but I went to see it as an anti-artistic statement. The poet that wrote "Iron John" was speaking at my college and after talking to him for the student paper, I was struck by how pretentious and snobby he was. So I went to see Ace Ventura as a sort of protest. Hey. I was 17, okay? and I still don't like poetry....)and I laughed like hell for the entire movie. It's still not great, but I liked it.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The Fat of the Mailbox
I think Ace Ventura: Pet Detective one and two are near classics!

I dont want to admit it, but the (2000) version of Battle Field Earth wasn't that bad to me, people said it was the absolutely awful, but I rather enjoyed it, thats just me. I give it credit. It had pretty good special effects, and unique characters, I deffinetly admit it wasn't John Tratolta at his best at all, infact I think he did a terrible job as his character, but I think the others were fine. I doubt anyone here will agree with me...but since this thread was up I had to let it loose.

I've found that DVD has allowed me to resonsider some films that didn't exactly do it for me in the theater. More often than not, films look a lot better to me on my home video system. For one thing, if you have a good system, you're actually seeing the properly "projected" and illuminated, which is not true of most megaplexes. Forgetting my other problems with the film for a moment, "Attack of the Clones" appeared much "warmer" and more visual depth than it seemed to have in the theater (I didn't have the option of seeing it digitallty projected). "Vertical Limit" didn't do much for me in the theater, but I really enjoyed the DVD package. The 5.1 sound, in particular, was terrific, with a lot of fun directional effects (most of which kind of meshed together in the theater). For some of the same reasons, dumbass action flicks ( alot of the Bruckheimer stuff) works very well for me at home. Also, "The Mummy Returns" was another film I enjoyed a lot more at home....