Unreferenced age gaps in on-screen relationships

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I think if the film dwells on the age difference or draws attention to it. Then it's not going to work.
unless it's a plot point.

age difference doesn't really bother me. what's 10 or 15 years when you're middle-aged anyway? heh.

i think it tends to bother audiences more when the age difference is only a year or two while one of them is a legal adult and the other is underaged.

Bump

I used to think a lot about that. Leon The Proffessional seemed to lean towards that for me because Natalie Portman seemed so interested in him. Also there was another movie I saw that went that way also. I used to think it was strange but now not so much. A big part would be that I've been with a man seven years older than me for going on two years and it works. I would say it bothers me when the girl isn't of legal age to do things like kiss the boy, Such as in Another Cinderella Story. It teaches young girls it's OK.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Angelia Jolie played Colin Farrell's mother in Alexander, despite the fact that she was only a year older than him. And Eileen Herlie played Gertrude to Laurence Olivier's Hamlet- despite the fact that she was 11 years younger than him!

I think unreferenced age gaps like the above are used to suggest an Oedipus complex.
Was just thinking about Alexander before I read this comment. That was a really strange one.

Put me in your pocket...
Here's one...but it goes with your comedy theory with some action thrown in.

The Legend of Drunken Master (1994)
I looove Jackie Chan...but I when I first saw this I thought the age difference between he and his father seemed a bit odd. Jackie seemed to old (he was 40 at the time) to be the son at home that is easily lead in to trouble by his step mother. But the whole cheekiness of that relationship (Jackie and Anita Mui) was so fun to watch, as was all of the action, that I didn't pay attention to the age difference after awhile. And it is Jackie after all...and he was fabulous.

I did look up the actor who played Jackie's father and there is only an 8 year age difference between the two. Jackie's born in 1954 and Lung Ti is 1946. Lol.

I used to think a lot about that. Leon The Proffessional seemed to lean towards that for me because Natalie Portman seemed so interested in him. Also there was another movie I saw that went that way also. I used to think it was strange but now not so much. A big part would be that I've been with a man seven years older than me for going on two years and it works. I would say it bothers me when the girl isn't of legal age to do things like kiss the boy, Such as in Another Cinderella Story. It teaches young girls it's OK.
Another Cinderella Story creeped me out.

Seven years isn't too bad. It's when it spans generations that it gets a little bit gross.

Another Cinderella Story creeped me out.

Seven years isn't too bad. It's when it spans generations that it gets a little bit gross.

I think it freaks people out in Another Cinderella Story because Selena Gomez looks obviously young but In A Cinderella Story, Hilary Duff was 17 and Chad Michael Murray was 23.

And I personally don't think seven years is bad at all because I love him. But what about thinking it like, wow you were in first grade when I was just born type of thing. Or like when I was starting the first grade, you were starting high school. Drives him crazy when I tease him about the age difference.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it should be ok, or legal that movies are allowed to have these sexual stories or scenarios with actors and actresses that aren't old enough. It just gives bad ideas to kids, and they think it's all romantic like in a movie when in reality, it isn't.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it should be ok, or legal that movies are allowed to have these sexual stories or scenarios with actors and actresses that aren't old enough. It just gives bad ideas to kids, and they think it's all romantic like in a movie when in reality, it isn't.
I don't mind if it is somehow acknowledged in the plot and all the obvious problems with such a relationship are brought up but I agree that the romance in Another Cinderella Story looks predatory rather than romantic.