An animal film

Tools    

I saw it around the mid-60's. It had all animal actors in a village in a forest but there was a Devil character who declared war on them and destroyed their village.

That was live action. There is a cartoon also. I think it was about 20-25 minutes and maybe 20 years old (it could be a lot older with it's funky music). It's about evolution and war where starting from monkeys and going up the evolutionary ladder, the characters fight all the way. Finally there is modern Man, a nuclear war and all are killed. From a corpse, the top of it's head opens and out climbs the monkey, showing we haven't changed at all.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You are talking about the Bolero section of Bruno Bozzetto's Allegro non troppo (1977), a spoof/satire of Fantasia and Fellini. I love that film. Here's the entire 'Bolero" sequence (in two parts) :

&feature=related

The "Devil" section turns up near the end of the film, with Stravinsky's The Firebird. Here you go:

Thanks for trying but it was live action. The film from I think the early sixties was about 75 minutes in length.

I have dial up internet at about 2 kbs, so YouTube is out.

Your description of the head (actually of a statue) breaking open to reveal a monkey is exactly from the ending of the Bolero section. This film is about half live action (in B & W), but that part involves a cruel conductor, his old-lady orchestra and a "slave" animator who draws the cartoons. If this isn't the film, it's a weird coincidence. Maybe you can borrow another computer and check these videos out?

So you're talking about two completely different films? I'm not sure about any live action with "animal actors" and a devil character (is the Devil played by an animal too?) The evolution sequence from Allegro non troppo lasts about 13 minutes and is set to Ravel's "Bolero" which might be considered "funky" by some. Life on earth (or maybe even some other planet where humans landed in a spacecraft) evolves from Coca-Cola left in a bottle.

It evolves until it finally becomes dinosaurs and soon after an ape-like creature starts getting violent and eventually the dinosaurs all make it through the trappings of modern history (including war) until the "monkey" appears out of the head of a broken statue of a man. That scene is open to interpretation because the "man" appears to be alive and a giant, but he quickly turns into something resembling a statue which cracks open at the head.

There is another section involving how the "Snake" eats the forbidden fruit instead of Adam and Eve, so there are "devils" in that section.

That sounds like a pretty freaking cool movie mark, thanks. I am all over that one. It sounds a little familiar too, I bet my dad had me watch it when I was just a little nibbler, but I only vaguely remember it.

I dug out my copy of Allegro Non Troppo. It is similar to what I remember, but only similar. I think the one I remember was Canadian and not as well done as the Allegro animation. But thanks for trying. Allegro is very good is you fast forward the live bits.

The live action animals-Devil film I am sure is foreign and I suspect it was made about 1960.