The Top Frame Shot of Alien 79

Tools    

What an excellent day for an exorcism
Which one do you consider the top frame shot of Alien 79, or most iconic, or most visually striking, or simply your favorite? Up to you to decide what criteria you use for picking one. Or you are welcome to post an alternate.

If you can't decide on just one frame shot, multiple selections are welcomed.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger view......

Frame shots picked by Mofo members so far.......

Frame Shot #15 - X2

Frame shots below have been selected by Mofo members X1.......

Alternates:

Alternate A - X1

Alternate B (Director's Cut) - X1

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
If I have to pick from those, I guess I would say 9 or 4. My favorite shot is actually in the director's cut where it shows the alien hanging from the ceiling quietly.

Maybe favourite perhaps...

Sets up the atmosphere perfectly, the suits themselves seems somehow clammy and organic whilst the environment its mysterious enough to drive Kane's reckless curiosity and alien enough to have Lambert pissing herself wanting to leave both seem like believable natural reactions.

From the OP 15-18 are all good shots along the same lines.

Cool thread idea!

Maybe 11, for me? But 2 references the first thing I think about when I think about Alien, which is the xenomorph hiding amidst the tubing, so hard to say.

Yes, I know what you mean. That gliding effect.
It's basically the opposite of what you'd expect, after a sudden surge of violence; taking its time.

What I think is interesting – and the design of the creature and the lighting would contribute to this – is that, even with these revealing shots the audience would still be trying to work out what the alien actually looks like. It rearing up at Lambert slowly and then this particular shot are cases in point. That's why the shot of it crawling along the ground like a spider was better left out, fantastic though it is, because you see the whole monster.

My favorite shot is actually in the director's cut where it shows the alien hanging from the ceiling quietly.
I added the frame shot I think you're referring to in the alternates of the original post. Hopefully that is correct.

Maybe favourite perhaps...

Sets up the atmosphere perfectly, the suits themselves seems somehow clammy and organic whilst the environment its mysterious enough to drive Kane's reckless curiosity and alien enough to have Lambert pissing herself wanting to leave both seem like believable natural reactions. .
I'm not sure, but I think that is a publicity still. I would like to steer away from publicity stills and keep focus on actual in-film frame shots. I could not find the exact frame shot you posted, so I posted the closest thing in the alternates of the original post. Hopefully that is close enough.

It's basically the opposite of what you'd expect, after a sudden surge of violence; taking its time.

What I think is interesting – and the design of the creature and the lighting would contribute to this – is that, even with these revealing shots the audience would still be trying to work out what the alien actually looks like. It rearing up at Lambert slowly and then this particular shot are cases in point. That's why the shot of it crawling along the ground like a spider was better left out, fantastic though it is, because you see the whole monster.
It's well known one of the favorite avenues for directors is 'the less a creature is shown, the more scary it seems'. This is very effective in Alien. However, when a director comes along and successfully pulls off this avenue, following directors beat that avenue to death, some not so successful.

I'm not sure, but I think that is a publicity still. I would like to steer away from publicity stills and keep focus on actual in-film frame shots. I could not find the exact frame shot you posted, so I posted the closest thing in the alternates of the original post. Hopefully that is close enough..
Yeah you might be right, its shot from a slightly higher angle although its not easy to get anything else in google as that tends to come up a lot. You added a decent one to the OP and this is another...

...... and this is another...

Actually, that is a painting, not a frame shot from the film. Been around for years, I forget the artist's name. And I don't remember if he painted it traditionally or through photoshop.

It's well known one of the favorite avenues for directors is 'the less a creature is shown, the more scary it seems'. This is very effective in Alien. However, when a director comes along and successfully pulls off this avenue, following directors beat that avenue to death, some not so successful.
Predator 's probably the most successful isn't it? Some people don't like the camouflage effect but I love it to this day. Interestingly most of that takes place in broad daylight, the opposite to the usual way of hiding a monster.

Alien 's very removed from the norm due to everything working on such a high level: the concept for the Alien and its life cycle (better in Alien too in my opinion); the originality of the creature design; the visual presentation; the music and sound.

I agree Predator is another film that was successful with that avenue, and that premise even calls for it. I never really thought about whether Predator was more successful at it than Alien.

" the concept for the Alien and its life cycle (better in Alien too in my opinion); the visual presentation; the music and sound."

Thumbs up on all that. There are few films that pull you in, make you forget you are a spectator. My first viewing of Alien, it pulled me in. I was cowering shoulder to shoulder with Ripley wondering what dark corner the creature will spring from.

I agree Predator is another film that was successful with that avenue, and that premise even calls for it. I never really thought about whether Predator was more successful at it than Alien.
Hard to judge really but Predator might be more innovative precisely because it conceals the creature in daylight, which is highly unusual.

One of the reasons why I like Predator is that the Predator has become part of the folklore for the local people. The "devil who makes trophies of man" speech increases the dread very successfully — and strangely because we already know it's an alien using advanced technology. That, albeit faux, supernatural quality is something that Alien doesn't have but both films certainly play on the fear of the unknown.

I have a feeling any submissions for top frame shots will slowly trickle in or it will simply stall out, and I have some more Alien goodies to share. Instead of creating a new thread, I will just park them here. But any member who still wishes to submit their selections for the Top Frame Shot of Alien, they are certainly welcomed.

The data below is strictly classified, however I have authorized Mofo members a Class 4 Security Clearance - access to top secret data.....

TO: . . . . . . . Director, Special Ops, Weyland Yutani Weapons Division, 937/AG-9.

FROM: . . . . . . . . . . . . . Harbour-master, Weyland Yutani Drydock Bravo, Thedus.

RE: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . USCSS Nostromo, Flight plan, #233/04-A.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sched Depart: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Thedus — 12 June, 2121, 0600 HRS [local]

Sched Arrival: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Acheron — 1 April, 2122, 1530 HRS [IST]

Sched Arrival: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Earth — TDB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Nostromo flight plan cleared with Antarctica Traffic Control.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pre-flight checks now underway.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Included below is the original crew manifest.

DALLAS, A.J. - Captain, USCSS Nostromo
Sex: Male [Natural] | Nat: United Americas | Dob: 27 February, 2076 | PoB: Wolf Point, Montana-UA.
“Preliminary assessment of psych profile indicates subject’s hostility to authority had been sublimated in such a way as to cause a mild psychosis related to performing executive officer duties.

Since the subject’s GMA should have risen with escalation of rank, it was determined that a retesting and orientation treatment was due. However, continuity in employment was disrupted 2/17/34.”
  • 15 May 2099: Graduates Mercerton Flight Academy, [Flight Status C].

• 11 March 2100 - 9 January 2103: Serves as Navigator/Pilot on USCSS Snark salvage vessel, under Captain Van Shuyten, [Flight Status B]

• 23 January 2103 - 4 December 2105: Serves as Pilot on UTX Ganymede military cargo vessel, under Captain Britten.

• 1 June 2106: Commissioned into United Americas Outer Rim Defense Fleet. Stationed at Liberty Echo, [Rank: Lieutenant].

• 12 June 2106 - 17 February 2108: Serves as Pilot on UAS Leviathan fast attack vessel, under Major Baines during Torin Prime Civil War, [Flight Status A].

• 23 February 2108: Promoted to Captain following Liberation of Torin Prime. Receives the Sunburst Medal of Honour for meritorious service.

• 1 March 2108: Given command of UAS Archangel troop carrier, [Flight Status A]

• 25 December 2109: UAS Archangel destroyed in enemy attack during peace-keeping operation on Thedus, 15,293 lives lost. Ship unsalvageable, [Flight Status Suspended].

• 3 Jan 2110: Receives Dishonourable Discharge from UAORD. [Flight Status Revoked].

• 4 Jan 2110 - 28 April 2113: Whereabouts unknown. No further enhancement.

• 28 April 2113 - 9 September 2113: Smuggles weapons and medical supplies into the Solomons on civilian cargo vessel The Vider, under Captain Joshua.

• 14 December 2113 - 4 May 2114: Freelances special transport ops of hazardous materials for Weyland Yutani in the Solomons, [Probationary Flight Status D]

• 21 July 2114 - 3 December 2118: Purchases civilian cargo vessel Tremolino. Freelances cargo and transport ops for Weyland Yutani throughout the Outer Rim Territories, [Flight Status C].

• 7 December 2119: Tremolino decommissioned. Crew disbanded.

• 4 January 2120 - Present: Given command of Weyland Yutani commercial towing vehicle USCSS Nostromo, [Fight Status B].

NEXT: KANE, G.W. - Executive Officer USCSS Nostromo

Resource Credits: Alien Legacy DVD set, Alien Anthology BD set, alienseries.com

KANE, G.W. - Executive Officer USCSS Nostromo
Sex: Male [Natural] | Nat: United Kingdom/EU [Dual] | Dob: 20 April 2083
PoB: Borehamwood/Herts-UK/EU

“Subject is highly idealistic overachiever … under pressure at medical school, subject abused medication and caused an embolism with hospitalised subject … after psych evaluation at Man Hadley’s medical clinic, subject responded to career therapy and chose to study for a commercial pilots licence.

After achieving it, subject became Executive Officer on a British hospital ship but again succumbed to drug abuse and was removed from position for re-evaluation … Subject may self-medicate with commercially made alcohol … treatment proved successful and subject was rated operational for duty again.

WARNING: Subject still exhibits high level of idealism and at this time his impulsiveness makes him a poor candidate for full command. Recommended that further diagnosis should be undertaken before upgrading subject further.”

• 11 September 2096 - 23 May 2100: Attends Weatherly Private School. Graduates with honours.

• 19 September 2100 - 30 May 2104: Attends Gunning Foss Military School. Graduates at top of his class.

• 6 September 2104 - 13 February 2108: Attends Bryce-Watkins Medical University. Expelled for substance abuse. Treated for drug-inflicted embolism and stress. Treatment successful, [Medscan CERT#81712F].

• 16 September 2109 - 18 May 2112: Attends Wellington Academy, [Suffolk]. Graduates with Masters of Engineering, [Flight Status C].

• 14 December 2115 - 29 October 2117: Serves as Mission Analyst on UK/EU colonial expedition in the Outer Rim territories, [Flight Status B].

• 1 November 2117 - 19 December 2118: Serves as First Officer on UK/EU colonial transport vessel HMS Sabretooth, under Captain Lai, [Flight Status BA].

• 21 September 2118 - 19 December 2119: Serves as Executive Officer on Weyland Yutani salvage vessel USCSS Kenamor, under Captain Kahn, [Flight Status AB].

• 5 Jan 2120 - Present: Serves as Executive Officer on Weyland Yutani commercial towing vehicle USCSS Nostromo, under Captain Dallas, [Flight Status A].

NEXT: RIPLEY, E.L. - Warrant Officer USCSS Nostromo

With the references to "her" and maternity leave, is some of the above not Ripley's profile?