The Meg 2: The Trench

Tools    

BKB
Most tracking suggests it'll do okay domestically. If it hits it big it'll be disproportionately overseas. No pun intended.
This is not only going to make more in it's opening weekend then the 2018 movie, it's also going to make more in overall total.. Again, no JURASSIC WORLD, No STAR WARS, MARVEL is all but dead as all comic book movies seem to be, ala, The FLASH, Indiana Jones isn't tracking very well and rightfully so for an 80 Year old Harrison Ford trying the Tom Cruise method of having lightning strike twice in trying to resurrect this character and it's simply not going to do all that well.. I have very good instinct when it comes to a potential hit and the MEG 2 trailer hit it out of the park.. It just did folks..

BKB
https://www.slashfilm.com/1320991/br...-we-never-saw/

Interesting article on why the 2018 Movie and for that matter, the sequel aren't R-Rated.. I'm of the impression that PG-13 can be pushed HARD to the Max as evident with scenes in JURASSIC WORLD and an R-Rating sort of limits the box office as opposed to PG-13.. Still, that's probably my chief complaint of the 2018 The MEG is it just played it too safe and much of it had to do with that Mockumentary SHARK WEEK had put out in 2013 complete with Disclaimer at the Beginning clearly saying it was Fiction, but that's not how this was played up and was actually very well done for what it's worth, but Discovery Channel caught heat for it for people actually believing a 64 Foot Shark known as "The SUBMARINE" was lurking off the coast of South Africa and was responsible for taking a down a Yacht and killing several people.. In any event, this is a shark movie and people need to be munched and I think the trailer for this sequel has more than assured this..

BKB
\

There's no way this disappoints.. 34 Days and counting.. If this movie can't save the Summer, honestly, nothing can..

BKB
https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-ra...racking-soars/

I totally disagree with Shawn's box office prediction for The MEG 2: The TRENCH.. I mean, a weekend opening of $26-35 Million??!! LOL!! Look, you don't have JURASSIC WORLD anymore, you don't have MARVEL this summer, no STAR WARS, I mean besides Mission: IMPOSSIBLE VII, what else do you have?? Indiana Jones and the Dial Of AARP has fallen flat.. No.. I'm thinking more like $90-100 Million opening regardless of this stigma of movies in August being the dumping ground.. If this movie that looks like FAST X meets JAWS on steroids doesn't do well, then I'm sorry but Gen Z and Millennials can go pounds sand and will be the future of box office disappointment moving forward.. I know this is going to come off as harsh, but it just seems impossible to please people anymore and all this streaming stuff doesn't help..

BKB

Awesome!!

BKB

24 Days and Counting until The MEG 2: The TRENCH explodes at the box office.. If this doesn't win the Summer, then there really is no hope for moviegoers.. This is essentially a New Underwater JURASSIC WORLD..

I don't really understand the seeming emotional attachment to this (or any) film's box office prospects. If moviegoers aren't interested, it's not an indictment of them, and trying to pre-frame it that way just seems like bet hedging.

A simpler explanation for any potential disappointment would be that creature features, while fun, are pretty formulaic, to say nothing of their sequels. That, and people's increasing preference for outdoor/"real" events, like concerts. I'm kinda stunned by how many people I know who're regularly going to concerts this summer. Way more than even pre-COVID. Making up for lost time on that front, perhaps.

Regardless, who cares? If you like the movie, watch it and enjoy it. If that enjoyment is reduced one iota by box office scorekeeping, that'd be a real shame, but any reduced enjoyment on that front would be ultimately self-inflicted.

BKB
I don't really understand the seeming emotional attachment to this (or any) film's box office prospects. If moviegoers aren't interested, it's not an indictment of them, and trying to pre-frame it that way just seems like bet hedging.

A simpler explanation for any potential disappointment would be that creature features, while fun, are pretty formulaic, to say nothing of their sequels. That, and people's increasing preference for outdoor/"real" events, like concerts. I'm kinda stunned by how many people I know who're regularly going to concerts this summer. Way more than even pre-COVID. Making up for lost time on that front, perhaps.

Regardless, who cares? If you like the movie, watch it and enjoy it. If that enjoyment is reduced one iota by box office scorekeeping, that'd be a real shame, but any reduced enjoyment on that front would be ultimately self-inflicted.
I care because moviegoers can be hypocrites when it comes to movies.. JURASSIC WORLD can make a Billion dollars with a Mosasaur diving out of the tank and crushing another dinosaur, but a Monster shark like this that actually existed finally getting the big budget treatment gets scoffed at in favor of garbage like Barbie: The MOVIE..

That's not hypocrisy. Movies can be better or worse. Just because two movies are about people being attacked by large creatures in no way makes them equally good, or original, or anything else.

Actually, now that I think about it a bit more, the logic ends up contradicting itself.

Let's assume the films are equivalent...in that case, they've already seen this. Why see it again? Equivalent monster films would expect to see fewer returns each time because each one is just a rehash of the previous ones. So either the films are equivalent, in which case it's perfectly sensible for the later one to make less, or they are not equivalent, in which case it isn't hypocrisy.

BKB
Actually, now that I think about it a bit more, the logic ends up contradicting itself.

Let's assume the films are equivalent...in that case, they've already seen this. Why see it again? Equivalent monster films would expect to see fewer returns each time because each one is just a rehash of the previous ones. So either the films are equivalent, in which case it's perfectly sensible for the later one to make less, or they are not equivalent, in which case it isn't hypocrisy.
The same way they saw 6 JURASSIC PARK/JURASSIC WORLD movies.. It's because they were awesome and a sense of escapism.. You no longer have this anymore so now, the MEG Novels seem to be the New Franchise in the making and it would make sense.. Without this, this Summer pretty much has been a disappointment thus far..

Exactly, they care whether they're awesome. The fact that they're both creature features does not make them equivalent, and thus there's no hypocrisy. It's about quality, not just genre.

I'm also not sure how it could be a "disappointment" to anyone but the producers if the overall industry box office is down. I assume you're not a film producer, so the only explanation is the "scorekeeping" mentality I mentioned earlier.

BKB
https://www.businessupturn.com/brand...bill-eberlein/

SHARK WEEK Begins July 23rd with super promoting gearing up for The TRENCH.. I remember back in 2013 when Discovery Channel got into trouble for that Mockumentary they made titled "MEGALODON: The MONSTER SHARK LIVES" complete with a Cast of no names along with a disclaimer at the beginning of the episode which was 90 minutes I believe, saying that everything was Fictional, but that's not how the episode came off and was played up as very real.. It was the highest grossing episode of SHARK WEEK at 5.5 Million people watching it..

I like when a movie I like does well, either critically or commercially. Not that I invest any value in the taste of average filmgoers or the reasoning of most critics. But, there is an instinctual feeling of belonging to....something?

And that's not inherently bad.

But I think the notion of getting hung up on either of these things (critics or commercial success) draws one away from what art does best. It can speak directly to individuals. And if that movie or song or play or painting or book speaks to us, that is the sense of connection that should matter most. And outside forces like movie reviews or box office tabulations should never intrude on that.

But it's so common. So many people need this. To feel like there feelings put them in a majority. And, honestly, its just sad. Deeply deeply sad.

BKB
I like when a movie I like does well, either critically or commercially. Not that I invest any value in the taste of average filmgoers or the reasoning of most critics. But, there is an instinctual feeling of belonging to....something?

And that's not inherently bad.

But I think the notion of getting hung up on either of these things (critics or commercial success) draws one away from what art does best. It can speak directly to individuals. And if that movie or song or play or painting or book speaks to us, that is the sense of connection that should matter most. And outside forces like movie reviews or box office tabulations should never intrude on that.

But it's so common. So many people need this. To feel like there feelings put them in a majority. And, honestly, its just sad. Deeply deeply sad.
I can honestly say I'm very well known in the world of box office websites and the comment forums, even notably banned from most of them for something stupid that 98% of the time involved Politics and on a movie website no less where the subject really should've been about movies, but websites like World of KJ Index, Box Office Theory, Box Office Mojo etc like to have it both ways and all 3 of the sites I've mentioned lean heavily to the Left and are comprised of, probably 1/2 & 1/2 on Gen Z along with Millennials and they discuss BOX OFFICE along with the movies themselves, but it's a much different vibe than this place which is pretty lowkey and mostly interested in the art of the movie and the movie itself and box office numbers are the least of anyone's concern here.. Am I close in that assumption??

I can honestly say I'm very well known in the world of box office websites and the comment forums

I didn't know I was addressing royalty.

even notably banned from most of them

Hate to burst your bubble, but it was probably only notable to you.

for something stupid that 98% of the time involved Politics and on a movie website no less where the subject really should've been about movies

Oh, you mean like when someone starts talking about politics completely unprompted?

Yeah, I agree, let's stick to movies

but websites like World of KJ Index, Box Office Theory, Box Office Mojo etc like to have it both ways and all 3 of the sites I've mentioned lean heavily to the Left and are comprised of, probably 1/2 & 1/2 on Gen Z along with Millennials and they discuss BOX OFFICE along with the movies themselves

So liberals are obsessed with box office results too? Sounds like you should get on peachy with them.

but it's a much different vibe than this place which is pretty lowkey and mostly interested in the art of the movie

And why would anyone want to talk about that when we can instead list a bunch of numbers related to the movies. I say let's just get rid of words in these discussions altogether. They allow for too much nuance, amirite?

and the movie itself and box office numbers are the least of anyone's concern here.. Am I close in that assumption??

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm already bored with all this box office talk and I don't even think it's started yet. I'm here for all the talk about those libtards banning you for your controversial takes on what movies the most people saw this weekend.

BKB
I didn't know I was addressing royalty.

Hate to burst your bubble, but it was probably only notable to you.

I can guarantee you weren;t even born yet when I was posting on the sites I listed, so there's that..

Oh, you mean like when someone starts talking about politics completely unprompted?

Yes.. EXACTLY

Yeah, I agree, let's stick to movies

Finally we agree on something, except box office numbers should be a part of this discussion in a time when the box office is down thanks to all this Covid crap and may never fully recover

So liberals are obsessed with box office results too? Sounds like you should get on peachy with them.

I'm not Liberal and not even close.. I would definitely vote Moderate if that were offered, but in 2023-2024, you're either on 1 side or another, not 50/50 anymore like it used to be

And why would anyone want to talk about that when we can instead list a bunch of numbers related to the movies. I say let's just get rid of words in these discussions altogether. They allow for too much nuance, amirite?

Because whether you or anyone else likes it or not, YES, Box office is important to discuss because otherwise, without box office?? You're looking at the death of the cinema as we once knew it if this doesn't straighten out and that includes Gen Z & Millennials getting up off the couch and logging off NETFLIX and actually going to the movies like it used to be

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm already bored with all this box office talk and I don't even think it's started yet. I'm here for all the talk about those libtards banning you for your controversial takes on what movies the most people saw this weekend.
How can you be bored with something when you haven't even spoken 1 word about box office and certainly not indicated in this thread since March was the last timer anyone around here cared??

How can you be bored with something when you haven't even spoken 1 word about box office and certainly not indicated in this thread since March was the last timer anyone around here cared??

Because I don't give a **** if they continue making the shit movies they've been making the last two decades.Im happy if the bubble bursts on enormously budgeted films. They're a blight and have already overstayed their welcome

Now if you cared about film and weren't so worried what comes first in some absolutely pointless box office rat race, you'd grasp this without throwing a tantrum and asking someone to explain it to you.

And, seriously, if youre supposedly so damn old, why are you acting like a thirteen year old?

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
Oh, THE TRANSPORTER is fighting some slightly bigger JAWS...again.

This time at least, it looks like they are trying to make it intentionally STUPID rather than being STUPID unintentionally as the first original one was looking to me.

I just doubt this movie will be less boring than the already dead-boring first one, which i havenīt even watched to the end.

BKB
Because I don't give a **** if they continue making the shit movies they've been making the last two decades.Im happy if the bubble bursts on enormously budgeted films. They're a blight and have already overstayed their welcome

Now if you cared about film and weren't so worried what comes first in some absolutely pointless box office rat race, you'd grasp this without throwing a tantrum and asking someone to explain it to you.

And, seriously, if youre supposedly so damn old, why are you acting like a thirteen year old?
There's a concept you and everyone else better start warming up to and that's if the box office as you so hate it doesn't improve, then you very well could be looking at the end of the moviegoing experience at the Cinema and quite frankly, I enjoy going out to the movies and so do alot of other people and don't use Covid or some other dumb excuse to stay home and stream garbage online like Gen Z & Millennials are so known for..