The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - Weekend Prediction

Tools    

There are those who call me...Tim.
Kind of a random film to choose seeing as I haven't seen the other two, but since it comes out tomorrow, it'll do.

Anyway, I'm predicting somewhere around the $40 million mark (or to be cocky, more specifically around $42 million).

Fancy a guess?

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
Kind of a random film to choose seeing as I haven't seen the other two, but since it comes out tomorrow, it'll do.

Anyway, I'm predicting somewhere around the $40 million mark (or to be cocky, more specifically around $42 million).

Fancy a guess?
OMG! You're giving this pile way too much credit. It is going to tank completely. Not even a two second cameo from Vin Diesel can save the horrible premise and Lucas Black's unbearable acting. My God, it's like watching Sling Blade again. I am just waiting to see Carl Childers pop up in the passenger's seat and ask, "You reckon they got them french fried taters in Japan?"

It might get an okay first weekend draw, 25 million or so, but I do not seeing it do well against upcoming competition.

With The Lake House, Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties and Nacho Libre releasing the same day, it's hard to say how good (or bad) it will do. The Lake House will do good with adults and couples alike and Garfield 2 will be a blast for the kids. Teens will flock to Nacho Libre though F&F: Tokyo Drift will probably be their choice between the two.

Seeing the preview I am really not impressed. I would Nacho Libre over it anyday.
The second movie sucked of TFATF and I doubt its going to improve.

Success is the only Earthly judge..
I have spoken with my guys on the inside and they expect a bit less but they have been wrong before...so in light of embarassment i'm going to keep my mouth shut and see what the future brings...

Randomly visiting for now
To be honest I haven't really thought about it.....probably because there's no chance of me going to the movies to see it. I'm just over sequels that's all. It could be an ok movie but I'd rather they just make a new one than keep milking off the first movie. Get creative hollywood, is money all you care about? *um that's a rhetorical question, so feel free not to answer hollywood.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
the original was the best of the group, but of course that's not saying much. the main reason i saw it was the purr of engines and the growl of Vin Diesel.

All discerning summer fluff watchers prefer a GUARANTEED experience of enjoyment, whatever the genre. Nacho Libre promises guaranteed laughs and amusement, while FF3 promises nothing but a Japanese setting, a hick-voiced actor, an extreme lack of real and deep cultural awareness for the setting (yes, they're making it in Japan, but placing an ethnically ambiguous girl attached to the lead Japanese nemesis as the romantic option for the hick from the US shows mounds of ignorance), and a bunch of shlock scripting and stereotypical/over-the-top characterizations by the surrounding cast make for utter stupidity.

Basically, they're using a specific set of ethnic stereotypes in this setting, shot in a locale they don't all understand, featuring a racing world and underground culture that originated in Japan.

Did you know FF3 is not original at all, not because it's another Fast and the Furious, but because it's basically taking an anime show from the 90s and repackaging it as an FF vehicle (pun intended)? The series itself is far more interesting than this flick will be. It's called "Initial D" and you can learn about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial_D

The Adventure Starts Here!
Under $20 million. I predict Nacho Libre takes all the marbles, hands down.

Oh, and Yods, what the heck were you doing awake at 6 a.m. on a Saturday morning? I assume you hadn't been to bed yet, and not that you got up early...

Atta boy. Another diehard night owl in the clan.