Greatest 60 seconds of acting ever?

Tools    

There are those who call me...Tim.
I can never find a clip of this scene, but it's in the Donner cut of Superman 2 where Lois finds out that Clark really is Superman, by shooting him.

Ok, it's probably more like a few seconds rather than a minute, but I've always loved the small change in body language that Reeve performs, to change from Clark into Superman before our eyes.

But can I ever find a clip? I can not...

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
There are probably loads I could come up with but just working from my top 100 list and the reviews I've done on this site for ideas. Although I don't think any are under 60 seconds, a tough limit you placed on it!

Toshiro Mifune's wild thrashing in Throne of Blood as he faces his death. Furiously prowling around like a caged animal all the guilt and fear he has been feeling throughout the film just gets too much and snaps.

Stallone in this scene from Rocky. Up to this point Rocky had seemd such an affable, easy going guy. And then his frustration with his life and the fear over the fight just come flowing out.

Tom Hanks in Cast Away as Wilson floats away. As Hanks shows how much he depended on Wilson and his desperation to get him back I just found it f**king heartbreaking.

Mel Gibson delivering the freedom speech in Braveheart. As a proud Scot, every time I see this the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. A rally call for all Scots. Indeed I have heard the audio of it played at basketball and football games in Scotland.

Gloria Swanson in the conclusion to Sunset Blvd. One of the great scenes of cinema she just captures the sheer delusional nature of the character at this stage.

Samuel L Jackson in this scene from Pulp Fiction including the speech. Now that is intensity.

James Stewart holding up congress in Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

Will try and think of some more tomorrow

That rant in Network.

WARNING: "The Usual Suspects" spoilers below
Chazz Palmintary (bad spelling) figuring out that Kevin Spacey is Kaiser Soze in The Usual Suspects.

Woody Harelson during the interview as Mickey Knox in Natural Born Killers.

Heath Ledger's ''We're bound to do this... forever'' speech in The Dark Knight.

And there's a Russel Crowe scene in Gladiator I'm trying to remember, but I can't remember which one I loved with him in it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
@ Jaydee, I would have to say that Burgess Meredith (Mickey) actually trumps Stallone in that scene when he almost breaks down saying "I'm 78 years old", then he picks his head up and goes to leave, outstanding acting. Altogether great scene from when Mickey comes to see Rocky and they reconcile on the street with Mickey backing away in fear of Rocky at first.

Magic!

@ Jaydee, I would have to say that Burgess Meredith (Mickey) actually trumps Stallone in that scene when he almost breaks down saying "I'm 78 years old", then he picks his head up and goes to leave, outstanding acting. Altogether great scene from when Mickey comes to see Rocky and they reconcile on the street with Mickey backing away in fear of Rocky at first.

Magic!
Yep fair point. Very much a dual effort. I had actually given Meredith credit originally but as I tried to post it the page froze up on me, so I had to write it all out again and forgot to include a mention for him second time round

The scene in "Nil by Mouth" where the guy rein-acts Dennis Hopper in "Apocalypse Now". Probably not the "greatest 60 seconds of acting" but a pretty cool homage to Hopper in that scene

Ben Kingsley - you can pick your own scene from Sexy Beast
Amen to that.

&feature=related

How about this for a quality 6 seconds.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.

A little over 60 seconds but this scene is memorable, also probably Christoph Waltz's best...unless you liked him in The Three Musketeers, in which case...okay?

Can anyone think of a film's' where due to 'sudden horrible/tragic events', a character snaps into insanity/madness right before our eyes; I know I've seen such things, simply can't recall...

?

Can anyone think of a film's' where due to 'sudden horrible/tragic events', a character snaps into insanity/madness right before our eyes; I know I've seen such things, simply can't recall...

?
This is what first sprang to mind for me...
&feature=related

Semper Fooey

A few more moments

Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman in the Marathon Man dentist scene. Olivier is absolutely chilling and Hoffman is so convincing both in terms of his terror and the pain he feels.

Jack Lemmon when he realises he's screwed in Glengarry Glen Ross. The eternal salesman he believes he can talk his way out of it, with hints of anger and desperation breaking through. And then the realisation that it's over hits him.

Eddie Murphy f**king with rednecks in 48 Hrs. God remember when Murphy used to be funny?!

Andy Serkis' schizophrenic showing as Gollum in Lord of the Rings.

Also I know there will be a moment from Jim Carrey in both Man on the Moon and The Truman Show but can't think of a specific one at the moment. Also sure there will be a Henry Fonda moment from 12 Angry Men.

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I have plenty but I'm busy and it's tough to find something near 60 seconds.

Exhibit A:

I love Cuckoo's Nest