I Am Sam

Tools    

Female assassin extraordinaire.
so, i'm surfing the net and suddenly am seeing banners for this one. saw michelle pfeiffer and sean penn leaning all close and looking all heartfelt so I clicked on over. couldn't view the trailer at work but read the backstory; looks like a bit of a heartwrencher, esp with what we've seen penn do. dunno bout pfeiffer but she's got my support since Batman 2.

whatcha think? it's weird, i've seen absolutely no trailers on tv for it or ads anywhere else; just these suddenly popping up as I check my e-mail at yahoo and stuff; and this comes out Jan 25th! that's mighty close and sudden. doesn't sound like an indy, so what, were they just hoping to sneak up on people? that doesn't do good if you're trying to hype and get lotsa people to come.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
They started advanced screeings for it a week or two ago. Looks Oscar-worthy, and it just might win something. Should be interesting to see when it comes out.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I think Sean Penn is one of the two or three most talented actors of his generation. Michelle Pfeiffer is still gorgeous and I think very underrated as a thespian. That being said, I wouldn't see I Am Sam if THEY paid ME.

The trailer showed theatrically quite a bit before Thanksgiving. I saw it probably four or five times. Every time I saw it it made me cringe. To me this looks like maudlin, insincere, manipualtive, dumbed-down would-be Oscar-bait. More succinctly, it looks like complete *****. This is going to be the cheaply-sentimental bogus emotional level of Patch Adams territory, big time. I'm sure there is a kind of person who finds themselves moved by and impressed with that kind of filmmaking. To me, it's about the worst thing there is. This kind of garbage should be kept as made-for-network TV weepers starring Valerie Bertinelli and Maredith Baxter-Birney.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the subject.

But enjoy!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Enemies are so stimulating.
oh......my........GOD!

i couldnt disagree more with you holden.

i got i am sam a little while ago and since then i have watched it about 5 times. i absolutly love it and have fallen in love with michelle pfeiffer. she is amazing in it! so is sean penn.

its the most wonderful thing in the world. it makes you feel all lovely at the end of it.

I rented I Am Sam a few days ago, and though it was good, it wasn't superb. ::shrugs:: I just think they've done the "mentally handicapped guy" thing one too many times. What's Eating Gilbert Grape was the best. This was still a nice one to see on a rainy day, though.

Enemies are so stimulating.
maybe thats the problem...ive never actually seen gilbert grape or rain man. definatly should see them though.