The 40 Year Old Virgin

Tools    

Well, since my apology for any offence I might have caused was completely ignored, I will assume that none was taken, and I will only say that I've dusted off my trusty old flame war gloves just for you, in case you feel the need to get seriously spanked anytime soon.

There have always been a large amount of teens who are rude, foolish, criminal, etc. I don't see that as being a whole lot different now than in the past; I think it is just much less hidden from mainstream adult view than it used to be. I have a 64 year old friend who used to be in a gang and did some pretty stupid, crazy, assholish stuff as a teen, and his parents never knew about it. He knows more about the trouble his grandchildren get into than his parents knew about the trouble he used to get into. I find that kind of thing to be very common.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I thought we were discussing a silly/stupid movie, not the state of society.

that said, This movie looks dumb, but it could be okay. the trailer made me laugh a few times.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Yes, he was saying your opinion sucks. What's your point? You're saying the same thing about people who have chosen to raise children by talking about how foolish and hopeless it is.

But regardless of that, it doesn't change what I said at all: either stop posting controversial things on a public message board, or grow thicker skin. You should be prepared to have your opinions challenged; even harshly. You're not some poor, defenseless newbie. You ought to know how it works by now.
I never said it sucked. What's with you trying to put words into other people's mouthes? I basically laid out as it being VERY HARD to raise children now a day. I mean, HARDER THEN EVER! Lots of people agree with me, I know that...so why should I go down that path, and have kids? I mean ****, how about you go to college?

I have never worn a trucker hat in my life. I grew up in a very bad part of town, but only at a very young age, but am glad to say I live somewhere rather pleasant these days. I don't see how any of this is at all relevant, though.

I take it, however, that you DO, in fact, live in the suburbs? I mentioned it because teenagers living in relative comfort in the wealthiest nation in the world aren't in much of a position to go around spitting out a jaded view of a world they still know very little about. But for some reason, they seem the most likely to do so.
Let's see. You believe I believe in the suburbs? Correct-o-mundo. I didn't live there my entire life...trust me on that part. The apartment I used to live in when I was a toddler was broken into and all of our crap got stolen. I don't even want to go into the stories that took place in the other crap-shack I used to live in. So we made our way up to the suburbs. Honestly, if you're sitting there trying to pull information on me out of your ass...DON'T! It honestly won't work.

The arguement at the point is that children in society today are...welll...DUMBER THAN THE PAST GENERATIONS! It's true...both you and I agree on this point. Now...I said I chose to go through a life without children.I can easily tell you that the manners of kids aren't going to get any better. Through out my family, I'm one of the younger ones. Through family and extended family, I've met those that are supposed to make the transition from idiot to adult.

It doesn't seem to look like it's happening anymore. The world's gotten to them, enough said. If I choose not to have kids, so be it. I'm not telling the rest of the world to stop reproducing and cause the extinction of the human race. So get that ******* thought out of your head.

What on earth are you talking about, man?
Err...the stupidity of teens now-a-days?

Well, since my apology for any offence I might have caused was completely ignored, I will assume that none was taken, and I will only say that I've dusted off my trusty old flame war gloves just for you, in case you feel the need to get seriously spanked anytime soon.
Your BDSM won't make me change my mind.

There have always been a large amount of teens who are rude, foolish, criminal, etc. I don't see that as being a whole lot different now than in the past; I think it is just much less hidden from mainstream adult view than it used to be. I have a 64 year old friend who used to be in a gang and did some pretty stupid, crazy, assholish stuff as a teen, and his parents never knew about it. He knows more about the trouble his grandchildren get into than his parents knew about the trouble he used to get into. I find that kind of thing to be very common.
What...that all criminals think alike? That all criminals act the same way? They can read one another's minds? What point are you trying to bring up here, exactly?

I agree with Yoda...kids did have better manners back in the 60's. All manners have been erased from their minds. Instead it's stupidity and ignorance that indulges inside of them. It's that 'flame'.

Even if there were 'bad' kids in the 60's and what not, THEY ARE EQUALLY NOT AT BAD AS THE ONES TODAY! I live amongst them daily...you have my word when I say that.
We're soldiers. Soldiers don't go to hell. It's war. Soldiers, they kill other soldiers. We're in a situation where everybody involved knows the stakes. And if you're gonna accept those stakes... You gotta do certain things. It's business, we're soldiers. We follow codes... Orders.

Originally Posted by Godsend

The arguement at the point is that children in society today are...welll...DUMBER THAN THE PAST GENERATIONS! It's true...

I don't believe this is true at all. It's a broad generalization.

For example...My little sister is only fifteen. at an age where I was sitting slack jawed in front of my Nintendo hypnotised by Super Mario Brothers, she has written her first novel. She's smarter than I will ever be, and it amazes me.

if anything, it isn't that children are getting dumber, it's that parenting has taken a steep decline in quality. Kids just aren't discouraged from behaving badly, or encouraged to succeed because a lot of the time, their parents can't be bothered. How many of us were sat in front of the TV instead of read to by our folks? Raising children is a serious commitment, and some people, those of my generation especially, are too self centered to handle that. Have you ever heard that phrase "a little ME time?" Maybe if people took a little less "ME time" and took the time to raise their children, things would not be as bad as they seem now.

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
I don't believe this is true at all. It's a broad generalization.

For example...My little sister is only fifteen. at an age where I was sitting slack jawed in front of my Nintendo hypnotised by Super Mario Brothers, she has written her first novel. She's smarter than I will ever be, and it amazes me.
Yes...well, I want you to go around your school and look for some like her. If you can't, how about your county?

if anything, it isn't that children are getting dumber, it's that parenting has taken a steep decline in quality. Kids just aren't discouraged from behaving badly, or encouraged to succeed because a lot of the time, their parents can't be bothered. How many of us were sat in front of the TV instead of read to by our folks? Raising children is a serious commitment, and some people, those of my generation especially, are too self centered to handle that. Have you ever heard that phrase "a little ME time?" Maybe if people took a little less "ME time" and took the time to raise their children, things would not be as bad as they seem now.
Yeah...I know. Especially when people nowadays are asking 'Well, what exactly is bad?' Do I really have to kick it upside your head? My parents would read to me...that's why I knew how to read at an early age. They'd go out and buy me those little work books that you'd get at OfficeMax and what not.

As for "me time"....that's more like "Okay, shots all around! I'm paying!"

Yes...well, I want you to go around your school and look for some like her. If you can't, how about your county?
You know, I've learned a thing or two in the near 40 years of my existence.

One thing that I’ve learned is that it’s foolish to make broad generalizations when I’ve only witnessed the topic from my own neck of the woods. I’ve met a lot of dumbass kids out there…but I’ve also met many baby Einstein’s. Proportionately, I doubt that the numbers are much different than most of the generations preceding this one, but it’s easier to believe that they’re a bunch of idiots because of what we’re being spoon-fed by all the different media’s out there.

Kid’s nowadays are much more attuned to the environment, are more aware of international issues, and have more opinions about our government and the people who run it. It doesn’t matter whether they have all the ‘right’ answers, because at least they’re thinking about it.

As far as you not wanting kids…cool. I’m not about to try and dissuade anyone from not having children when population control is just about the most ignored international crisis of all. If you want to give us all a little break by not spawning…more power to ya’. Just don’t tell us it’s because the world is so, so terrible. It’s not any worse than it’s ever been…just different. Hell, violence and human suffering is what makes the world go round. Just check your history books…they’ll tell ya’.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I never said it sucked. What's with you trying to put words into other people's mouthes?
firegod didn't say your opinion "sucked," either, but that's what you accused him of, because you think he implied it because he spoke forcefully. And so did you.

I basically laid out as it being VERY HARD to raise children now a day. I mean, HARDER THEN EVER! Lots of people agree with me, I know that...so why should I go down that path, and have kids? I mean ****, how about you go to college?
What on earth has that got to do with anything? And since when is "lots of people agree with me" any kind of argument?

Also, you seem to be under the impression that I'm trying to convince you to have kids. I'm not. I don't think I'd want anyone with your nihilistic attitude to have children.

Let's see. You believe I believe in the suburbs? Correct-o-mundo. I didn't live there my entire life...trust me on that part. The apartment I used to live in when I was a toddler was broken into and all of our crap got stolen. I don't even want to go into the stories that took place in the other crap-shack I used to live in. So we made our way up to the suburbs. Honestly, if you're sitting there trying to pull information on me out of your ass...DON'T! It honestly won't work.
Uh, actually, it did work. There's no use lashing out at me because I happened to be right.

That said, I'm really not interested in comparing street cred. I'm more interested in discussing the bizarre phenomenon wherein priveleged teenagers develop an intense jadedness about their situation (and the world's) despite knowing next to no real hardships by historical standards. Why is that?

The arguement at the point is that children in society today are...welll...DUMBER THAN THE PAST GENERATIONS! It's true...both you and I agree on this point. Now...I said I chose to go through a life without children.I can easily tell you that the manners of kids aren't going to get any better. Through out my family, I'm one of the younger ones. Through family and extended family, I've met those that are supposed to make the transition from idiot to adult.
Several things need to be said here:

1) No, we do not agree on that. Kids today act dumb, but they are not dumber. They are simply less ambitious, and (in some ways) less educated. I think that we're smarter than ever in terms of ability and raw intelligence.

2) Yes, you've chosen not to have children. Just like almost every other 15-year-old (or however old you are, exactly) in the history of the world. You know, at that age my mom was convinced she wasn't going to have children, either. I take this statement only a little more seriously than I'd take a 9-year-old who wants to grow up to be an astronaut.

You are, simply put, not a fully developed person yet. No big deal; I'm not, either. But I keep that in mind and don't usually go around arrogantly proclaiming my permanent independence from basic human customs just because I'm going through a phase.

3) You're in no position whatsoever to say that "kids aren't going to get better." But even if you were, if you genuinely thought that most kids were dumb and that you were not among the dumb ones, then wouldn't it make MORE sense for you to have children? After all, if you're not dumb, it'd stand to reason that they probably wouldn't be, either, if you raised them properly. So if you really believe there's a problem, and that you're not part of it, then logically you should quite like the idea of having children to help push the next generation in the right direction.

It doesn't seem to look like it's happening anymore. The world's gotten to them, enough said. If I choose not to have kids, so be it. I'm not telling the rest of the world to stop reproducing and cause the extinction of the human race. So get that ******* thought out of your head.
I never had the thought in my head. Now it's my turn: stop lashing out. Say what you will about most modern teenagers, but I'll bet most of them can handle disagreement far better than you're handling it now.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by firegod
more things are undeniably better. For example: racism, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, bigotry against the disabled, and probably others I haven't thought of.
Not that I want to get into an argument with the likes of firegod ... but I'd say the "religious intolerance" thing has just shifted but still exists. Now, you have to tolerate anything that calls itself a religion, that's true. But you're perfectly welcome to denigrate and spit on any Christians who even *mention* their religion. "Tolerance" for Christianity in this country has definitely taken a huge nose-dive in the past generation or two.

I don't mean to start an argument. I just wanted to clarify one of your points.

Racism against whites has increased, too. However, it has decreased overall, as has religious bigotry. We still have a long way to go with regard to all of those things I mentioned.

Originally Posted by Austruck
"Tolerance" for Christianity in this country has definitely taken a huge nose-dive in the past generation or two.
Poor Christians. At least they have the government as a consolation prize.

Fair enough. And, I daresay we will never see any of those things eliminated completely (even in just this country). It's just the nature of mankind -- not capable of perfection in its present form.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Poor Christians. At least they have the government as a consolation prize.
Ha, the government does squat for me in terms of people's attitudes toward my faith. And that's fine. I was talking in terms of personal attitudes and agendas, not governmental ones.

But you're perfectly welcome to denigrate and spit on any Christians who even *mention* their religion. "Tolerance" for Christianity in this country has definitely taken a huge nose-dive in the past generation or two.

Well, It could be that for decades the Christian community has been denigrating pretty much everyone and forcing their views on others (I.E. the insistance that America is a "Christian Nation" despite the many other religions here...), and well, now they're getting it all back.

I'm not putting down christianity, having recently converted to it, but I AM putting down the most vocal and extreme Christians who, whether we want them to or not, have become the public's image of our religion.

I'd say America *was* a Christian nation, but isn't now. But that's beside the point.

And, I do take issue with your assertion that Christians have been "denigrating pretty much everyone and forcing their views on others."

That's a rather heavy-handed, unprovable generalization, don'tcha think?

P.S. ANYWAY .... this movie looks like a cheap, quick way to capitalize on Steve Carrell's rising comedic star. Nothing more. Definitely not a movie-theater movie for me either. A rental, much though I like Carrell. I don't need a 40-foot screen for this one.

Don't pay attention to the monkey behind the curtain...he likes to fling poo.

I believe that America is still a Christian nation, but the big cities, who have the loudest voices, often decry that fact and try to pretend that they're the majority...which they obviously aren't given the large portion of red states. Maybe you should move to the sticks somewhere out in the middle of the bible belt.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this is a movie thread isn't it? I agree with Linda completely.

Kid’s nowadays are much more attuned to the environment, are more aware of international issues, and have more opinions about our government and the people who run it. It doesn’t matter whether they have all the ‘right’ answers, because at least they’re thinking about it.
You are so right~!!!!!! 'Bush sucks man!' 'I know!'

*cricket chirps*

No...not really. We haven't gotten as far as you think. Even though Bush really is a craptastic president, they have no idea what they're talking about. I've heard them try to bring some 'arguements' up as well. 'Well the economy sucks too, you know?' How and why does it suck...can you please figure that one out?

All in all...these kids don't know jack. When kids back then used to sit and watch TV around the fire place, we now have kids sitting upstairs watching crap like MTV.

firegod didn't say your opinion "sucked," either, but that's what you accused him of, because you think he implied it because he spoke forcefully. And so did you.
What the hell? Can you PLEASE pick a view...earlier you said

[IYes, he was saying your opinion sucks.[/i]
Now Chris..Yoda...whatever it might be. Let's get down to the very basics. I shed my opinion, and you've shed yours. Great. Now why would we get into an arguement with one another over something like this? Because we think the others arguement is stupid and tasteless. (In other words, IT SUCKS!) Is that clear now?

What on earth has that got to do with anything? And since when is "lots of people agree with me" any kind of argument?
The college thing? I said that because it seems as if you rather argue than possibly go out there and show your stuff. The arguement about people agreeing with me shows that...WELL LOTS OF ADULTS AGREE WITH ME! In other words, I got the thougts of wise people behind me.

Uh, actually, it did work. There's no use lashing out at me because I happened to be right.
*sigh* Do we really have to get into this/ I bet you a majority of the people on these forums live in the suburbs. The same goes for a majority of the online world. Why? Because it's higher class. I don't get what the hell that has to do with anything anywaysl

That said, I'm really not interested in comparing street cred. I'm more interested in discussing the bizarre phenomenon wherein priveleged teenagers develop an intense jadedness about their situation (and the world's) despite knowing next to no real hardships by historical standards. Why is that?
Once again, you think you've read my biography and highlighted every main part of it. Sorry, but you haven't. Do me a favor, please? Keep your ******* mouth shut on this one. It's very helpful when it comes to ignoring philopshers as yourself. You think you know it all, right? Heh.

1) No, we do not agree on that. Kids today act dumb, but they are not dumber. They are simply less ambitious, and (in some ways) less educated. I think that we're smarter than ever in terms of ability and raw intelligence.
You mean kids ACT dumb...when they really aren't? What kind of an arguement is that? They 'act' dumb. No they don't act dumb. THEY ARE DUMB! Saying they're less ambitious is dumb on your part. When you have peanut-sized teens out there, they're going to have ambitions...trust me.. Impossible ones, but trust me. 'I want to be a rapper!' They're not less educated either. They're given excellent education, but they won't let their spoiled minds take it in. That makes them dumb!

2) Yes, you've chosen not to have children. Just like almost every other 15-year-old (or however old you are, exactly) in the history of the world. You know, at that age my mom was convinced she wasn't going to have children, either. I take this statement only a little more seriously than I'd take a 9-year-old who wants to grow up to be an astronaut.
You're kidding me right? It's usually guys saying they won't have kids. Girls on the other hand go all goofy-eyed when it comes to babies and kids. Honestly, go ahead and ask some girls that you might know. THey'll say something alone the lines of, 'OMG! I WANT LIKE FIFTY!' I know some guys that one kids, but that's a very low number. When it comes to guys, we don't talk much about that stuff...mostly try to avoid it. It's genetics I believe.

You are, simply put, not a fully developed person yet. No big deal; I'm not, either. But I keep that in mind and don't usually go around arrogantly proclaiming my permanent independence from basic human customs just because I'm going through a phase.
Yes...I know. I'm an adolescent, you are as well. I'm happy you accept it, and I've accepeted it as well. We're always going to be learning, so to categorize us as adults is just a physical thing. No one will ever be a fully developed person, ever. So many things you don't know. So many things that are out of reach. I'm not proclaiming anything against you. ....Are you trying to share your feelings?

3) You're in no position whatsoever to say that "kids aren't going to get better." But even if you were, if you genuinely thought that most kids were dumb and that you were not among the dumb ones, then wouldn't it make MORE sense for you to have children? After all, if you're not dumb, it'd stand to reason that they probably wouldn't be, either, if you raised them properly. So if you really believe there's a problem, and that you're not part of it, then logically you should quite like the idea of having children to help push the next generation in the right direction.
Okay...if I'm not, who is? I've talked to many people that are twice my age. They shake thier heads and tell me nothing was this bad back then. *shrug* Maybe we're the wrong ones, right?

As for me having children on the accounts you're refering to....nope. They'd end up interacting with 'the others'. You can only go so far as to what they see and what they hear and all of that. That andf the fact it seems pointless to even think abouit children at the moment. So maybe that's why I'm putting up this fight.

I never had the thought in my head. Now it's my turn: stop lashing out. Say what you will about most modern teenagers, but I'll bet most of them can handle disagreement far better than you're handling it now.
Do you have any ideas how easy it is to shut up a modern teenager today? Handling disagreements goes from one person to the other. It's different from everyone. I'm not t yping in punch or anything alike. But as to modern teens? Tell them they're gay, and they'll shut their mouthes.

What teens are you hanging around? If you count my 12-yr-old as a teen (trust me, you can), I have four teens as a part of my wider household (the other two "kids" are in their early 20s and were teens till just recently). Your assertions don't hold for any of the six of them, or for most of the teens of fellow parents I know.

And, all those teens/kids are wise and smart enough *not* to be overly influenced by "the others" they are forced to interact with in the world. That's part of the point of rearing them properly: to help them withstand the onslaughts of the modern world. You can empower teens properly if you try. It can be done ... and the results are astounding.

That's part of the point of rearing them properly: to help them withstand the onslaughts of the modern world.