31.58%
12 votes
Joaquin Phoenix, THE MASTER
2.63%
1 votes
Denzel Washington, FLIGHT
38 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Smells mystical, doesn't it?
I dunno about Joaquin Phoenix anymore. I'd have to see The Master for real now. Bradley Cooper was great in Silver Linings Playbook. I could see him winning.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Performance-wise:

1. Washington
2. Day-Lewis
3. Cooper

though of course, I'm a Denzel homer, much like Miss Vicky is a Phoenix homer.

They were all amazing.I can't decide.

I've also seen all but Jackman now, but this is sadly DDL's to lose. Though it was a good performance, the film as a whole was average.

After seeing all 5, this is my personal rankings of them:

1. Washington- He's had better performances by far, but I do think this is still within the upper echelon of his best. I'd put a performance like this in Cage/Ray Milland range for sure, and those have won oscars as well.

2. Day-Lewis- Will win, and probably does deserve to win overall. The thing I have is that the film as a whole doesn't hold up as well as the others do with there performances. But he completely transforms into Lincoln, without a doubt.

3. Jackman- Gives a gripping performance of Jean Valjean. He was a perfect fit for the role, and did superb.

4. Cooper- The one thing against Cooper is he wasn't the highlight of the film (easily, Lawrence). But overall, I do think he gave a good performance in my overall favorite film of the best picture contenders thus far.

5. Phoenix- Didn't show much of a range of emotion, at least in my opinion. Could be that I just hate the overall film in general, but I've seen Phoenix have better performances surely.

Overall, I think the academy got the candidates right to this point, only question mark IMO being Phoenix but like I said I blame that more on PTA then I do Phoenix.

1. Daniel Day-Lewis

He played Lincoln flawlessly, and you really can't say anything bad about his performance. He's won every other award from the SAG to the Golden Globes, so he'll probably win Oscar.

2. Joaquin Phoenix

This is a close second for me, as Phoenix was very dramatic and powerful in this performance. His facial and body distortions, mannerisms, and way of talking in The Master was really brilliant.

3. Denzel Washington

Killed it as always, he really embodied his alcoholic character. He displayed the defensiveness, loneliness, and torment of someone struggling with addiction.

4. Bradley Cooper

Best performance of his career, bar none. He really broke through in this one and tested his boundaries. He was convincing as a bipolar man, but still managed to be charming and funny at the same time.

N/A. Hugh Jackman

I haven't seen Les Mis, but from what I've heard I doubt Jackman had a better performance than the above 4 anyway.

Phoenix's facial expressions were the same the entire movie. Now I'm not sure if it was supposed to be this way, but I thought it downgraded his character.

Phoenix's facial expressions were the same the entire movie. Now I'm not sure if it was supposed to be this way, but I thought it downgraded his character.
I thought it perfectly captured the torment of an alcoholic war vet suffering from PTSD and looking for his way in life.

I'd assume an alcoholic war vet suffering from PTSD and looking for his way in life would have more than 1 expression though. I could be wrong.

I hope Daniel Day Lewis...

Movie Forums Extra
Bradley cooper

Should win: Phoenix
Will win: Day-Lewis

Don't get me wrong, I love Daniel as much as the next guy, but it would be nice to see the Oscars mix it up and give the award to somebody who haven't won already.

Other than Hathaway, this would be the biggest shocker if Day-Lewis didn't end up winning.

It would be an even bigger shock than Streep over Davis last year. I only say that because I thought for sure Davis would win.

**** this Oscar rubbish, check out the Kermode Awards. Much more interesting