GBG's Movies I Can Watch Over and Over Again

Tools    

Maybe Over the Edge is one of those movies that you have to first see it as a teenager, so you can appreciate it as an adult.
That could be because my friends used to rave about it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
122. Teachers (1984)

This is another movie that I saw when I was younger, and it just stuck with me all of these years. It's about a school that is being sued by a student who graduated without learning how to read. It sounds like it would be a drama, but it has a lot of comedy in it too.

The movie stars Nick Nolte, JoBeth Williams, Ralph Macchio, Judd Hirsch, Morgan Freeman, Richard Mulligan, Laura Dern, Crispin Glover, Allen Garfield, and more. The movies mostly focuses on the characters played by Nick Nolte, JoBeth Williams, and Ralph Macchio, but in my opinion, it's Richard Mulligan who steals the movie as an outpatient from a mental institution who starts teaching a history class.

Teachers (1984) Trailer:

And it features one of my favorite songs, "Edge of a Dream" by Joe Cocker:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teachers.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	24549  

Are you a fan of Nick Nolte? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Just added another of your films to my watch list: Scavenger Hunt which I seen once and it's hilarious, and has the guy from Soap.

Are you a fan of Nick Nolte? Or am I thinking of someone else.
I like Nick Nolte, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. His movies are kind of hit or miss for me, but I wouldn't specifically see a movie or avoid it because he's in it.

Just added another of your films to my watch list: Scavenger Hunt which I seen once and it's hilarious, and has the guy from Soap.
Yes, Richard Mulligan. I love him in just about everything he's done.

I'll try to sneak one more movie in while Hubby is cooking, but no guarantee that I'll finish it before the food's done.
What happens to him if he screws up dinner?

121. Fantastic Four (2005)

For some reason, most people hated this movie, but I can't figure out why. At first I thought maybe it's because I'm not really a "comic book geek", but Hubby is, and he loved this movie too.

I love this movie. It's got action, adventure, comedy, drama, and more. I love the interaction between the characters, especially Ben Grimm/The Thing and Johnny Storm/Human Torch. The scene on the bridge is awesome, and the scene when The Thing can't pick up the ring because his hands are too big makes me cry every time I watch it.

Fantastic Four (2005) Trailer:
Attachments

Name:	fantastic-four-2005.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	24550  

gbg, remarkably I've never seen the first four movies on your list. (So I've got 4 more to look out for.)

I have seen the Fantastic Four. It's mostly fans of the FF that don't like the movie (as with hardcore comic fans and many comic-based movies).

It wasn't a terrible film (and the sequel was even better with the Silver Surfer being spot on).
Some serious questionable casting aside, for what it got right, it did well (like Ben & Johnny's friendly antagonistic relationship).

It's biggest downfall was the treatment of Dr. Doom - not just the penultimate comic villain, but one of the greatest, most iconic villains in literary history. Anyone who thinks Darth Vader is something special needs to look to Doom - the character that was the direct inspiration for Vader (as admitted by George Lucas).
But the movie failed to present Doom in all his Latverian monarch majesty and instead turned him into a smarmy lisping businessman who had the combined powers of Electro & Colossus. Worse yet, they made him the fifth member of the mission that turned the original FF into superheroes. Superpowers & being part of the FF's maiden voyage were never part of Doom in the comics.
There's much more, but for now... 'nuff said.

Interesting picks so far. I've bookmarked Scavenger Hunt.
As we go along, you'll probably notice that my taste in movies, (just like my taste in music), is different than many people here on MoFo.

gbg, remarkably I've never seen the first four movies on your list. (So I've got 4 more to look out for.)

I have seen the Fantastic Four. It's mostly fans of the FF that don't like the movie (as with hardcore comic fans and many comic-based movies).

It wasn't a terrible film (and the sequel was even better with the Silver Surfer being spot on).
Some serious questionable casting aside, for what it got right, it did well (like Ben & Johnny's friendly antagonistic relationship).

It's biggest downfall was the treatment of Dr. Doom - not just the penultimate comic villain, but one of the greatest, most iconic villains in literary history. Anyone who thinks Darth Vader is something special needs to look to Doom - the character that was the direct inspiration for Vader (as admitted by George Lucas).
But the movie failed to present Doom in all his Latverian monarch majesty and instead turned him into a smarmy lisping businessman who had the combined powers of Electro & Colossus. Worse yet, they made him the fifth member of the mission that turned the original FF into superheroes. Superpowers & being part of the FF's maiden voyage were never part of Doom in the comics.
There's much more, but for now... 'nuff said.

It probably helps that I didn't go into the movie with any expectations. I was familiar with most of the characters, but just on a surface level. I didn't know them from the comic books, so I didn't know their history, and I didn't care who played them, or how they looked, sounded, etc. I just went into the movie hoping for an entertaining action movie, and that's exactly what I got.

I liked Dr. Doom, but he didn't seem as powerful as he probably should have been. (I think TONGO does a better job with the character in the survivor threads here on MoFo.) But again, I didn't have any real expectations for the character, so he wasn't a disappointment for me, but it seems like there are much better villains in the Marvel universe.

I thought the second FF movie, with the Silver Surfer, was okay, but I liked the first one much better. I liked the FF characters a lot in the second movie, especially the way they played havoc with their powers, but overall, I thought the first movie was a better movie.

As we go along, you'll probably notice that my taste in movies, (just like my taste in music), is different than many people here on MoFo.
Thanks for warning me. I don't like things that are different.

120. Bogus (1996)

This is a little known movie about a young boy, (played by a very young Haley Joel Osment), who is sent to live with his mother's foster sister, (Whoopi Goldberg), after his mother dies. The boy has an imaginary friend, a big, French magician named Bogus, (Gérard Depardieu).

This movie isn't a highly-rated movie, but I think it's a very underrated movie. The relationship between the boy and his imaginary friend Bogus is very sweet. There are some very funny scenes, and some very touching scenes. This movie can make you laugh and it can make you cry. And Haley Joel Osment shows why he later becomes one of the top-rated child actors of his generation.

Bogus (1996) Trailer:
Attachments

Name:	Bogus-1996.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	24551  

119. Paradise (1991)

This is another movie that focuses on a young boy in an unfamiliar place. When 10-year old Willard is sent to live with his mother's friends Ben and Lily for the summer, he becomes friends with a young girl named Billie, who helps him learn about life and himself. But it turns out that Ben and Lily recently lost a child, and their marriage is crumbling, and they need Willard just as much as he needs them.

This is another movie that will just pull at your heartstrings every time you watch it. Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith were married in real life when this movie was made, which is probably why they had such great chemistry in this movie. Elijah Wood and Thora Birch were both young actors at the beginning of their careers, who would later go on to bigger movies.

Paradise (1991) Trailer:
Attachments

Name:	Paradise.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	24552