Godzilla Returning to the Big Screen

Tools    

Godzilla Returning to the Big Screen

Last year Bloody-Disgusting got word that Legendary Pictures, the production company behind The Dark Knight, 300 and The Hangover, were interested in bringing Godzilla back to the big screen. Well today it was officially announced that they have purchased the rights, and Legendary will be working with Warner Bros. on another Godzilla movie (there have been 28 in total over the past 50+ years).

The last big outing for Godzilla was back in 1998 with 2012 director Roland Emmerich. The film made nearly $400 million worldwide, but was trashed by critics and most of the general audience. It was fun but dumb. Cloverfield showed in 2008 that people were still interested in monster movies (if they were good) as it made nearly $200 million with a mere $25 million budget.

Nothing much is known at the moment, although Warner Bros. are apparently aiming for a 3D release in 2012. While there are a lot of movies being released or converted into 3D at the moment that don’t really need to be, a Godzilla movie done right could be quite epic in 3D.

Source: Filmonic

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It'll probably be Godzilla vs. Rodan and Mothra. They might as well throw in at least two "villains". HA! After all, they need to turn this into the Japanese Monster Justice League and turn the Bad Guys into the Good Guys so we can get to the newer, badder guys. We're talking a Saw-like franchise here. Will Schumacher direct?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
When she's pregnant, I hope Godzilla has nipples, but yes, I see, as far as we know, Clooney wasn't pregnant. Well, you know what, aside from his being on some kind of armoured suit, I have the same problem as Batman concerning perkiness.

Semper Fooey
Eventually if they keep making em, they'll make a good one. It's just mathematical.
Don't count on it.

Rule Britannia....
I doubt it. He's signed up with Mercedes for the season.

Whaddya mean there's another Schumacher?

I'm not aware of another Schumacher either

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
HK you had me PMSL mate nice one

Hopefully this will be better than Godzilla

Semper Fooey
Is Tim Burton going to direct it? Johnny Depp would be a great Godzilla or maybe Helena Bonham Carter.

No mention of whether it'll be 3D or not. I know it was supposed to be, but let's hope that, as they've gone for a 'hot' new director, they'll let him give it a go.

"Monsters" director stomps to "Godzilla"

Godzilla has a director.

Gareth Edwards, the British filmmaker who wrote and directed the indie sci-fi movie "Monsters," is closing a deal to develop and direct a new iteration of the creature feature, more than a dozen years after Roland Emmerich's version left critics underwhelmed.

The project is set up at Warner Bros.-based Legendary Pictures, the company that helped produce blockbusters such as Inception and "The Dark Knight. Legendary picked up the rights to the giant lizard from Japan's Toho Co. last March.

Edwards' "Monsters," which got a U.S. release in October, took a different tack in its handling of the alien invasion genre. It centred on two characters travelling through a Mexico that is now a quarantine zone due to an alien-monster infestation. The flick slyly showed only parts of the aliens, with tentacles attacking cars and people during the night, for example. But the gripping climax featured two giants slithering around an abandoned gas station.

The movie got Hollywood ga-ga over Edwards, who viewed "Monsters" as a calling card. Legendary executives figured he could be the right man to take their monster into the 21st century. He will now work with a new yet-to-hired writer on the script. (David Callaham was the original scribe.)

The 1998 "Godzilla," starring Matthew Broderick, saw the big lizard rampage through New York City. The Sony release grossed about $380 million globally, having cost about $130 million to make.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20110105...a-5fdf947.html

all I can say is that they better do it like the old school ones not like that remake crap a few years back waste of time and money ugh

As long as Tyler Perry keeps making Madea movies, Godzilla is still with us.

Semper Fooey

Ru Paul Meets Medea

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com

New Godzilla to be a man in a suit?

Oct 6, 2011

Say what you want about how fake Godzilla looked as man in a rubber suit, but Roland Emmerich’s film proved that CGI will never be superior to suitmation (in my opinion). But Legendary Pictures rebooting the franchise, many have assumed they’ll go with CG to create the King of the Monsters. However, sources are telling Infamous Kid that’s not the case, and the studio is wanting to go with the traditional man in a rubber suit. The source also mentions that animatronics will be used for the creatures head, and that any touch-ups would be done with CG in post-production.
This is only a rumor, but we have heard that Gareth Edwards would be giving fans the more traditional Godzilla than Emmerich’s film. There’s also a new model rumored to be used for Godzilla’s new look (here).
Will Godzilla be fighting Biollante in the reboot?

Oct 15, 2011

We don’t know much about Gareth Edward’s upcoming Godzilla reboot, but we do know that it will feature Godzilla taking on another monster in the film. There’s no way of knowing what monster(s) will be challenging the King of the Monsters, but Yahoo Movies seems to believe that it will be Biollante. They don’t any evidence to support their theory other than the recent rumor (here) that Legendary Pictures will base their design off a model created by Hecter A. Arce on his website. If you look at all the designs on Arce’s website, you’ll see one of Biollante next to the rumored Godzilla design.
Of course, this is nothing to go on, and it wouldn’t seem likely LP would use that monster. Biollante first appeared in Godzilla vs. Biollante, and is regarded as one of the better Godzilla films. Unfortunately, the film wasn’t a box-office success, and it wouldn’t seem likely the studio would use a monster that wasn’t well-recieved in the reboot. Odds are the studio would probably want to go with one of the more popular monsters such as King Ghidorah, or just created their own monsters. But maybe we’ll get to see the under-rated monster return in the film. Hopefully, we get something official on the film soon.
Godzilla remake gets yet another writer

Nov 10, 2011

With Hollywood venturing into a second attempt at adaptating Toho’s famous Godzilla franchise, Legendary Pictures is making sure they get it right this time. The film has already has David Goyer and David Callaham writting the script, and The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that Max Borenstein is now working on the script. It’s usually a bad sign when multiple writers come in to work on a film, but LP is likely wanting to get it right, and not have to give fans another film like Roland Emmerich’s 1998 remake.

It's got an excellent director. Monsters was one astonishing film with the budget he had and equipment, so he now has a very large budget to work with this time around, see what he can do.