Inception. Or how to make dumb people feel smart...?

Tools    

He is making a Wolverine flick and I can't freaking wait. I'm sure you already know this.

I am definitely excited about Wolverine..
But the thing about Aronofsky is that he is more suited for a Batman film.

I like Nolan & he did do a good job on the Batman films.. But the best Batman film would be one that has its focus on what makes Bruce Wayne... Bruce Wayne is not just a guy bent on revenge or saving the city.. there is a lot more to it..
He is a depressed insomniac, sometimes even deluded to believe that he is answer to all problems of the city.

Once we think about all that, we can understand that Aronofsky is the man for the job. The guy he is not new to horror/thrillers.
Batman has most of his inspirations from Horror film ideas...

Who else other than Aronofsky can create that surreal Gotham City with the most feared caped crusader the world will ever know.

So IMO Aronofsky is the best director we have today & I am sure he'll do something great with Wolverine...

I'm not sold on Aronofsky. I think highly of Requiem for a Dream, but I liked neither The Fountain nor The Wrestler. I've yet to see Pi and Black Swan. I've seen people around these parts say that Pi is his best, so I'll try to watch that one soon.

I still find it very strange that you won't give it a shot. It's obviously a very talented director with very talented actors and it's been lauded plenty. I couldn't care less about ballet, but one of my favorite director's made Black Swan and I loved it. Sure, that's not a completely fair example, but you get my point.
I completely agree with you. I really shouldn't be the way I am just because they are DC superheroes, but it is one of my weird quirks. Please don't hold it against me. I'll give you another set of movies to try and talk me into watching as well ... I've never seen the Godfather movies and have no interest in them for some reason. Yet, I like many movies with a similar theme. What can I say ... I'm just an odd guy. LMAO

dumb people can never be smart lol

I've never seen the Godfather movies and have no interest in them for some reason. Yet, I like many movies with a similar theme. What can I say ... I'm just an odd guy. LMAO
There are literally dozens of films on the MoFo lists that don't interest me whatsoever. Most of the films on the "100 Passions" I don't care about at all. I'm not a big horror fan, so those are films I don't usually go for. Musicals are the only genre that I generally dislike.

But these films are on those lists for a reason. They're mostly highly regarded by critics and fans. That alone should be enough for a movie fan to try and catch all of them at least once. Sure, you'll come across films you don't like at all, yet they're on the lists.

Think of it as being open to new experiences. Maybe at first you think: "I'm not sure I want to do this." If you take the chance, you can learn something new, even if that something is bad. If you refuse to experience and learn new things in life, because you have "no interest" for them, you're missing out on a lot.

Just saying...

There are many movies from those list that don't interest me as well.. But I just hope in time I might be interested to check them out... Until then, I'll keep myself busy with the movies that interest me.

There are literally dozens of films on the MoFo lists that don't interest me whatsoever. Most of the films on the "100 Passions" I don't care about at all. I'm not a big horror fan, so those are films I don't usually go for. Musicals are the only genre that I generally dislike.

But these films are on those lists for a reason. They're mostly highly regarded by critics and fans. That alone should be enough for a movie fan to try and catch all of them at least once. Sure, you'll come across films you don't like at all, yet they're on the lists.

Think of it as being open to new experiences. Maybe at first you think: "I'm not sure I want to do this." If you take the chance, you can learn something new, even if that something is bad. If you refuse to experience and learn new things in life, because you have "no interest" for them, you're missing out on a lot.

Just saying...
You are correct in what you are saying for the most part and I know I shouldn't be how I am with certain things. Everyone has their things they just won't do for a multitude of reasons. But, please don't judge me as someone who isn't willing to try new things ... that isn't me. But, like anyone else there are certain things I have no interest in. And my thoughts can change. At one time I never had any interest in watching Suspiria, but after years of the horror community telling me I need to at least give it a try ... I did. The same goes for Citizen Kane. On the other hand no amount of convincing is going to make me want to try out as a cheerleader. Possibly a new experience I can learn from, but not what I'm interested in. And in turn I'm sure there are things of interest to me that you would never give a chance.

You are correct in what you are saying for the most part and I know I shouldn't be how I am with certain things. Everyone has their things they just won't do for a multitude of reasons. But, please don't judge me as someone who isn't willing to try new things ... that isn't me. But, like anyone else there are certain things I have no interest in. And my thoughts can change. At one time I never had any interest in watching Suspiria, but after years of the horror community telling me I need to at least give it a try ... I did. The same goes for Citizen Kane. On the other hand no amount of convincing is going to make me want to try out as a cheerleader. Possibly a new experience I can learn from, but not what I'm interested in. And in turn I'm sure there are things of interest to me that you would never give a chance.
I feel bad that I think Citizen Kane isn't all that great. For his age though, Orson Welles did an excellent job. Maybe if I liked the time period more it would be better for me.

P.S. - Give cheerleading a shot, you might like it.

Originally Posted by argh.pirate
I actually said already that it's a decent movie (I'd give it a 7 or 8) I'm just dumbfounded that in a world where Casablanca, Hitchcok, and Jimmy Stewart exist that people pick Memento as the ALL TIME BEST. Haha, I can't even type it without feeling like it's a joke. I mean, it comes up as #30 on IMDBs top 250 so for it to be #1 on one forum it has to be a fad or "film" lovers instead of "movie" lovers. Films = artsy, movies = just plain fun.
You're still confusing best with favorite. And either way it is just opinion. As far as IMDB's top lists ... I thought people already knew that IMDB's ratings and reviews are skewed.

I feel bad that I think Citizen Kane isn't all that great. For his age though, Orson Welles did an excellent job. Maybe if I liked the time period more it would be better for me.
See we can find common ground here. I didn't care for it either.

You're still confusing best with favorite. And either way it is just opinion. As far as IMDB's top lists ... I thought people already knew that IMDB's ratings and reviews are skewed.

See we can find common ground here. I didn't care for it either.
Well if IMDB is skewed then Movie Forums definitely is. How are best and favorite different to a single person? Wouldn't you consider your favorite movie to be the best? I'm not talking technical aspects of filmmaking either.

Well if IMDB is skewed then Movie Forums definitely is.
I can agree with that. I think when you get any big group together views get skewed. Social constructs are a powerful thing.

How are best and favorite different to a single person?

I'd say that would be different for each person. I can't answer for others.

Wouldn't you consider your favorite movie to be the best? I'm not talking technical aspects of filmmaking either.
No, my favorite is basically like the flavor of the month. My favorite will change over time. It wasn't always Memento, and I'm positive it won't always be. Now, you probably want to know what I think the best film is ... I have no answer. As I've said before it's just opinion ... No movie is going to be considered the best by every single person. So, I feel it is not my place to make that claim.

Wouldn't you consider your favorite movie to be the best?
Uh, no. The Fountain is obviously not the best movie ever made, but it has personal value to me. I can easily distinguish between best and favorite.

Originally Posted by argh.pirate
I'm not talking technical aspects of filmmaking either.
Why? You should be. How can you not consider technical proficiency when discussing what is the best. You do know what best means right?

Uh, no. The Fountain is obviously not the best movie ever made, but it has personal value to me. I can easily distinguish between best and favorite.

Why? You should be. How can you not consider technical proficiency when discussing what is the best. You do know what best means right?
Both of these things rule

Ha! I consider everything when my brain automatically decides if I'm enjoying a movie or not. What I mean is, I don't like something JUST because it's a technical achievement. I don't care how complicated and masterfully artsy a film is because I watch movies to be entertained. Otherwise it would be like saying The Hardy Boys aren't good books because they're not as technically crafted as Macbeth. As for favorites and best, your view would mean there's no such thing as best which is getting way too deep and philosophical about stuff and that's what makes movies suck. If I watch a movie and there isn't a single thing I'd change about it AND it really hits me at any emotional level (not only serious emotions but humor or excitement) then I consider it one of the best movies. Simple as that.

As for favorites and best, your view would mean there's no such thing as best which is getting way too deep and philosophical about stuff and that's what makes movies suck.
There is no getting too philosophical about an art. Art is balanced by the philosophy it responds to, and thus cannot be separated. Projected under that light, philosophy is the best way to understand art, especially the subconscious work of the artist, and I would be hard pressed to find a real artist that considers something the best of a medium or a decade or whatever if only because it's a useless conversation that leads further away from true appreciation rather than mindless ranking like football teams. You don't go to an art gallery and say "well these are good but it's no Raphael", you take in what's there, otherwise you're wasting your time and can only take something for face value if you're already comparing it to "the best". There really is no such thing as best, I think that's rather objective and obvious. Better is more arguable, and favorites...well yeah.

If I watch a movie and there isn't a single thing I'd change about it AND it really hits me at any emotional level (not only serious emotions but humor or excitement) then I consider it one of the best movies. Simple as that.
I've seen lots of movies that were made perfectly in that sense. Doesn't make them brilliant, just means they were well made, moreso than others. What makes them brilliant has little to do with what you would or wouldn't change. Blemishes in art are underrated, and sometimes implemented purposefully.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I apologize now for not going back through the other 100+ posts to see if someone has posted this already, but someone in another forum I frequent posted this picture of Nolan's hand-drawn timeline for Inception, and I thought it'd get a few smiles here. I love seeing stuff like this:

Finished here. It's been fun.
The more I think about this movie the less I like it. It's a good summer blockbuster, it's a solid movie yeah. But yes, it's overrated and not a masterpiece or anything of the sort.Nowhere near.

I think that Inception might be the most overrated movie ever.
I think it's a manipulative movie because its dream theme made the viewers believe that there's something more about dreams than just surreal images during our sleep.People like that that's why they bought the film.