Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I'm not big into Disney films but this was pretty solid as a one-time watch. Really entertaining and funny, and I liked the relationship between the sisters, but it's not the type of movie that'll stick with me. Also it had a typical bland Disney romance story line. The snowman was my favorite thing about it - I could have sworn it was Jonah Hill voicing it but of course I was wrong.

Saw this on Netflix. This movie should have been a match made in heaven for me - romantic comedy combined with sci fi - but the plot was so full of ridiculous coincidences and holes, and the logic to the timers, which is the entire premise of the movie, was really really flawed. Which even then would have been passable if the female and male leads of the movie had any personality. Despite the awful chemistry among everyone in the movie (there are a lot of love stories in it), it was fun to watch everyone learn their fate, so I don't regret watching it.

Another Netflix pick. Unlike with Timer, I really liked the two lead performances by Colin Hanks and Ari Graynor - the latter of whom I know I've seen in something before but I have no idea what (even after looking at her IMDB page). As for the actual movie, it was interesting while I was watching it but I don't think I'll ever watch it again. I think it was going for black comedy which it succeeded in at some points, but the feel of the movie was a little inconsistent and I didn't really feel the chemistry between the two leads even though I think(?)
WARNING: "Lucky" spoilers below
they're supposed to be madly in love by the end.

American Psycho by Mary Harron

my second watching of this movie. The first time i found it really awful and not entertaining but the second time I undertand that it is a Satire and the satire is really well done . Christian Bale is such an awesome actor and deserve more from the academy.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
^ I don't believe that American Psycho is a great movie, but I do think that Christian Bale was great in that movie.

Unregistered User

The Fly (1986) -

Rewatch - Last watched this years ago on VHS so was great to see again. Plus, its better than i had remembered.

Fahrenheit 9/11 -

And I thought Irish politics were screwed up?!

Atlantis, the lost empire, 4/5. The animation is really impressive with this one. It makes me enjoy 2D animation more than I have for a while. The acting is also fairly good as well. The one problem I had, was that I felt disconnected from most of the characters. In fact, I think Milo was the only character I felt connected to at all. Most of the other characters either lacked screen time or development. Even Kida was only in half the movie, and almost half of that time was in a frozen sort of state so she wasn't doing anything. She had one intro scene, one scene where we get an idea of how she is, one or two scenes where she is literally doing nothing and then she wakes up and is in love with Milo. Most of other characters have a similar set-up as well. Despite not being able to connect well to characters, the movie is quite nice.

Noah
(Darren Aronofsky, 2014)

Aronofsky, why hast thou forsaken me?

Noah was one of my most anticipated movies of the year, not because of the story, but because of the man behind the camera. With the exception of The Fountain (which is in dire need of a re-watch), I've loved everything Aronofsky has done. He's one of the most exciting filmmakers of this generation. But I was worried that Noah, with its 125-million-dollar budget, wouldn't feel like an Aronofsky movie. I was right.

What does it feel like? A movie with schizophrenia. Part Hollywood epic, part art-house. It's the result of an atheist director giving his own take on a biblical story, then, for fear of offending the religious right, restraining from his full artistic vision. Never is that more clear than during the "creation" sequence. We're treated to a beautiful montage that begins with the big bang and shows the evolution of the universe and the origin of life. We start at the bottom of the family tree and watch as a single-celled organism adapts and evolves over hundreds of thousands of years. Once we reach the "ape stage," I sat up in my seat, wondering if he was about to cause an uproar with the Christians in the audience, but once again Aronofsky restrains himself by interrupting the montage to show humans "created in His own image."

Many Christians will probably be upset by the overt fantasy elements in the movie (yes, I understand the irony in that statement), as well as the unlikable portrayal of Noah. The trailers have been very careful to omit the stone giants that play a prominent role in the film. They look like something from The NeverEnding story. (And speaking of never-ending stories, the movie is way too long and drags mightily in the last act.) Even though the stone giants initially threw me for a loop, the movie gives a satisfactory explanation for their presence which fits perfectly into its religious themes. Honestly, the stone giants were one of the most interesting parts of the movie, and their battle as the flood ensues was the most exciting part of the movie, even if it did feel like a deleted scene from Lord of the Rings.

Everyone in the cast not named Russell Crowe is relegated to background furniture. That's unfortunate, since Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson really shine during the few opportunities that they get. I also thought the CGI was way too noticeable at times, especially during an early scene involving Spyro the Dragon's little nephew. The script is overloaded with ideas and the whole film is a mess. Despite all of that, however, there are brief moments of brilliance. Several scenes are strikingly beautiful. There's some great imagery, especially during Noah's visions, which are the most Aronofsky-like thing in the movie. Ultimately, however, the film crumples under the weight of its own ambitions. It's too unorthodox to appeal to the religious crowd, but too Hollywood to appeal to the director's fan base.

Spring Breakers

I like the concept of having a dark take on spring break, but then the movie should be more realistic, especially considering it's a drama. Despite it's short running time, the movie drags, maybe because of the endless slow motion shots.

Spring Breakers

I like the concept of having a dark take on spring break, but then the movie should be more realistic, especially considering it's a drama. Despite it's short running time, the movie drags, maybe because of the endless slow motion shots.
what's so unrealistic about it?

what's so unrealistic about it?
Pretty much everything I thought; teenage girls blowing away armed gangsters at the end was just one thing I noticed. Not to mention the fact that those lightweights would probably be sick for 3 days if they partied like that. They just hop on their mopeds and go back to their hotel like they were returning from school.

Ghost In The Machine
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Ralph Fiennes is really quite brilliant in this movie, with impeccable comic timing.

Great - typically Wes Anderson - fun and a recommended 8.5/10 from me.

Dom Hemingway (2013)

This is by no means a great film, but it has a certain 'entertainment value' (especially during the first half) and a few very cool, stylized scenes to look at. Jude Law is also great in an atypical role.
So yeah, if you want to have a few laughs, see a few cool scenes, experience some minor suspense and behold an entertaining performance, you shoud definitely give this a watch. Just ignore some of the more emotional or moralizing scenes, because they don't really work here (in my opinion).

I had fun.

-

Saving Mr. Banks

I always love Tom Hanks, and Emma Thompson was so good in this! The supporting cast was all great too, especially Colin Farrell and the two songwriters Jason Schwartzman and BJ Novak. Performances always make a movie for me. The entire story into the past of PL Travers and the inspiration for Mr. Banks and the story of Mary Poppins was the strongest part of the movie, and how they showed the creative process of coming up with all the great Mary Poppins songs was really fun to watch. The only criticism I have is that while it went so deep into the mind of PL Travers, it didn't get all that deep into the mind of Walt Disney despite the fact that the story of Mary Poppins touches him so deeply. I thought it was a little unbalanced in that regard. Also, I thought it was kind of ironic that they played up the humor of PL Travers being so dictatorial about the Mary Poppins script and being so controlling with the images of the characters, when I pictured the Disney studios also doing the same kind of thing with Saving Mr. Banks and with their image in general, in order to keep the genial, squeaky clean image of Walt Disney and the studio preserved.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	savingbanks.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	13456  

Skyfall

I am a huge bond fan and this is my second viewing (originally watched at cinema). Initially when I first watched it I thought it was the best bond they have made. Second viewing not so much and think Goldfinger still holds the crown. I am not saying this is a bad bond by all means no it is top 5 easily imo. I really do like the direction the bond franchise is going after this movie and have high hopes with Mendes creating the next bond. The one thing I really hope they do go back to is make a major menacing villain like Goldfinger or Blofeld, Bardem made a good villain but just thought his character didn't have a good reason besides revenge which is clique

4/5 Stars

The Gunfighter (1950)

What I liked most about this, besides Gregory Peck, is that at less than 90 minutes long, the movie is a very easy watch. There is no Bs or wasted scenes. I would highly recommend this to people who are interested in westerns, but struggle to get in to them. People like myself.