What is the Greatest War Movie of All Time?

Tools    

What war do you think has inspired the Best War Movies?
0%
0 votes
Past Wars (American Revolution, Roman Empire, Star Wars, etc.)
3.03%
1 votes
Civil War
84.85%
28 votes
World War II
0%
0 votes
Korean War
9.09%
3 votes
Vietnam War
0%
0 votes
Persian Gulf War
3.03%
1 votes
Future Wars (Red Dawn, the Terminator, etc.)
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Hondo333
My fav POW camp film is A Bridge over the river Quai
That is certainly a good pick.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

My vote goes to Saving Private Ryan.

Band of Brothers is an absolute "not-to-miss" in my books. Other war film favourites of mine are :

- Where Eagles Dare. How did noone mention this ? Classic war/thriller with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood.

- The Great Escape. Dum-dum...dum-dum-de-dum-dum...dum-duum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-ENG-LAND ... whoops.

- The Longest Day. Probably the best ever "spot-the-star" epic.

- Dirty Dozen. I liked it, and I also liked Big Red One.

Am I the sole Private Ryan hater ? I found that film shallower than a (very shallow) pond, the only thing I liked were the visuals. Ignore Ryan and watch Band of Brothers - similar topic, much better done.

Originally Posted by Mairosu
Am I the sole Private Ryan hater ? I found that film shallower than a (very shallow) pond, the only thing I liked were the visuals.
Be quite or LorsSlaytan will kill you!!!!

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Be quite or LorsSlaytan will kill you!!!!
I'd be more than happy to hear what he finds great in that film. I just didn't like it. After all, we're here because of conflicting opinions, it would be silly if we all loved the same stuff.

No, I don't think much of Saving Private Ryan either. I'd grade it a C. If you do a search you'll find older threads where we've discussed it in some detail.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
No, I don't think much of Saving Private Ryan either. I'd grade it a C. If you do a search you'll find older threads where we've discussed it in some detail.
A C is about the grade I'd hand it to, probably a D if it didn't have class A visuals. I found that the film has too much gloss, and not enough...if any, substance. Just some sort of a Spielberg parade car to showcase the production values he can beef up.

Originally Posted by Mairosu
I'd be more than happy to hear what he finds great in that film. I just didn't like it. After all, we're here because of conflicting opinions, it would be silly if we all loved the same stuff.
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ead.php?t=4323

In order

Black Hawk Down (because it is amazing)
Lawrence Of Arabia
Saving Private Ryan (because of the production design)
Schindler’s List
Letters From Iwo Jima
Full Metal Jacket
The Great Escape
The Blue Max
Twelve O’Clock High
The Pianst
Ran
Go Tell The Spartans (because of the script)

I cant believe that this movie went out to market. It should be some organization regulating ***** from getting on the shelves.

This is the kind of movies that you cant stop viewing it because you think that it will get better at some time and then BANG! the titles appear.

I just registered here (this is my first review) just to put this honest comment, and I hope that it can save 1.5 hours of life to somebody. I don't know how people here could vote with 3 or even 5 stars, whoever did this should be sued.

I don't have other thing to say about this movie without saying bad words, but it seems I need to complete 10 lines.

Please don't ever view this movie or you will regret it

I cant believe that this movie went out to market...Please don't ever view this movie or you will regret it
What movie?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Das Boot is awfully damn good, by the way.

My faves:

Vietnam war movies:

5. Platoon

In 1979, Francis Ford Coppola came out with Apocalypse Now, the definitive Vietnam War movie on an artistic level.
In 1986, Oliver Stone came out with Platoon, the definitive Vietnam War movie on a more realistic level.

4. The Deer Hunter
An amazing ensemble cast of Robert Deniro, John Cazale, John Savage, Christopher Walken & a very beauteous Meryl Streep join all their high-powered acting forces together to form a story that conveys what can happen when the effects of war comes to a small working class town,
leaving wounds, scars, broken relationships & lost friends.
Notice the sparseness of the dialogue & yet the effectiveness with which each actor brings to this film to effectively (not to mention, in a refreshingly unpreachy manner) portray a group of ordinary people trying to deal with the unordinary consequences that were the Vietnam War.

3. Full Metal Jacket
"How tall are you private?"
"Sir, five foot nine, sir!"
"Five foot nine? I didn't know they stacked sh#t that high! You tryin' to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere, huh?"
" Sir, no sir!"
"Bullsh#t! It looks to me like the best part of you ran down the crack of your momma's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress! I think you been cheated! Where in the hell are you from anyway, private?"
"Sir, Texas, sir!"
"Holy dog sh#t! Texas? Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy. And you don't look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down. Do you suck dicks?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"Are you a peter puffer?"
"Sir, no sir!"
"I'll bet you're the kinda guy that would f#ck a person in the ass and not even have the godd@mn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I'll be watching you."

2. The Killing Fields
A true life tale of a journalist's journey of survival that provides a brutal & revealing look at the aftermath of the communist takeover of Cambodia & the re-"disciplining" of it's population.

1. Apocalypse Now
The "2001: A Space Odyssey" of the war genre in that it's a story of a long journey that culminates into a meeting with a strange godlike figure. And even though you might not know what it all meant, what you do know is that whatever it was, it was pretty damn epic & pretty damn cool.
The imagery & the surrealness of the film all lead up into a piece of work that could've easily been a number one film fave on any other director's filmography. And yet, for Francis Ford Coppola, the fact that there are still two more movies that IMO, are even better than this grand "arty" war epic (The Godfather Parts I & II) , is a great example that the 70's was a period of time that showcased the abilities of a great director during his prime.

BTW, Hearts Of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse, a documentary that follows the true story of how Apocalypse Now was made, is not only a great companion piece to this film, but a also a great work of cinema on it's own (definitely worth it's own watch).

WW ll movies:

5. Midway
Midway is a great example of taking an important military battle and depicting the grand scale of this real life historical event on film, despite the obvious perspective to the American side (which was usually the standard back then anyway).
The fact that at certain points, the film focuses on varoius specifics of the major decisions which resulted in the manner the battle would eventually unfold, helps in adding weight to the portrayal of those in military higher-ups who were instrumental in shaping this event.
Adding to the significance of the story is an ensemble cast of heavyweights of the time such as Charles "They-Don't-Get-Any-Bigger" Heston & Henry "I'm-Barbarella's-Dad" Fonda.

4. Kelly's Heroes
Take a heist movie & combine it with a war movie & what do get?
Three Kings.
Take a heist film & combine it with a war movie both made in beginning the 70's decade & what do you get?
Kelly's Heroes.

A cool cast of actors that include Clint Eastwood, Teddy Savales, Carroll O'Connor, Don frikkin' Rickles & an offbeat yet definitely fun & memorable role from Donald Sutherland.

3. Tora! Tora! Tora!
Tora!

2. Letters From Iwo Jima
Clint Eastwood excellently directs this tale of the pacific war from the view of a band Japanese.
A country in which the war is not just against the the Allies, but also in a war within intself between the new methods & technology of the new age against it's revered ancient traditions of honor for one's native land & emperor, not to mention against the obligational feelings towards own family.
Who knew that a tale about the "other side" would make such a great American movie?

1. The Longest Day
Featuring an all-star-cast-of-it's-time-line-up that makes up a really long list of actors that star in this really long movie about a really long day near the end of a really long war.

For me, The Longest day represents the high quality of films that were at the forefront of the unglorified depictions of war that were making their way onto the big screen during the era of 60's cinema.

I don't recall the name of the movie, I watched it in a history class I took. All I remember was I think it was Brad Pitt, he's running through these woods and calling out to someone. The person returning his calls had been running in poisoned gas like nerve or mustard gas so he couldn't see. Then the guy, blind, ran straight into barbwire. Getting stuck, twisted and bleeding, a few guys from the other side started shooting rounds into the poor guy. By the time (I think it was) Pitt got to him, he was dead.

The other one that was pretty harsh was what I think was called Saving Privet Ryan, but not entirely sure. It was just so strange if you put yourself in one of the soldiers shoes. That's when history started to bug me. These two films, just thinking about what it would actually be like. Sure they are dramatized, but this sh*t happened. It's a crazy thought to kill someone. "We could have been brothers" -All Quiet on the Western Front. War is just awful. I think we are creatures of impulse, but sometimes...I don't know...knowing that people have killed others forever. Yet it seems so wrong. I'm reading Hamlet for the first time. War, death, killing one another, I don't know man. When I think about it I'm silent, then have questions that either don't have answers, or ones I'm not sure I am ready to hear. It's frighting in a very real way.

I don't recall the name of the movie, I watched it in a history class I took. All I remember was I think it was Brad Pitt, he's running through these woods and calling out to someone. The person returning his calls had been running in poisoned gas like nerve or mustard gas so he couldn't see. Then the guy, blind, ran straight into barbwire. Getting stuck, twisted and bleeding, a few guys from the other side started shooting rounds into the poor guy. By the time (I think it was) Pitt got to him, he was dead.
That's Legends Of The Fall and that's, probably, the best part of the entire film.

Enjoy Hamlet, darkrose. It's the best play I've ever read/seen. I absolutely loved it.