Long Distance Relationships

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I was bored tonight and I decided to search for a thread on long distance relationships, and I dug up this dusty thing here. Obviously, I'm currently in one, and yeah, it's also a mixed bag. The girl in question lives in the same country, but still a fairly large distance away (in another state, anyway). We met online back in late 2007, met in real life last December (in her town), and have hit it off pretty well after that (we share plenty of the same hobbies and viewpoints - win-win). And of course, I miss her badly - I don't get to see her again till she comes here in June (and after that, who knows, although I'm planning on attending her 21st early next year). There's no significant drama, the only real problem is passing the time, and most of the time I have to spend between now and June is going to be working both at uni and at my job, neither of which are really the most pleasant ways to pass the time. Oh, well. Figured I'd get this out there.

I believe in long distance relationships. That they can work just fine, as long as the two people truly care for each other. It's rare that both people end up being able to handle it. A lot of people can't, in my opinion. You just have to stay positive, not dwell on the negative, and yep, stay busy. Letting it bring you down a lot, won't do the relationship, or you, any favors. Just stay busy, in a good way, (Sorry your's has to be mostly work, but those are two things that you have to do, anyway.) and just stay excited about the next time you two get to be together.

You can chat on the phone, right? That always makes it better.

I'm sure I just told you a bunch of crap you already know, but I'm old . . . I can't help myself.

Good luck!

This is my only advice about long term relationships:

Don't date a slut.

Otherwise, she or he is likely to roam.

You can, of course, date a slut if that's the type of relationship you guys are gonna have... but as I know from my own experience, those kinds of relationships suck. In most cases.

Date someone who's good naturedly and has a low sex drive. They are key to having a successful long distance relationship.

Men, look for women who have dreams of settling down, baking cookies for her own children, dresses kind of homely, maybe attends church services. Women, look for older men who don't have health insurance and can't afford testosterone injections -- and don't tell them to read any Suzanne Somers books, she advocates hormone replacement therapy!