1970s
18.52%
20 votes
1980s
29.63%
32 votes
1990s
108 votes. You may not vote on this poll

These are the 80s films I like. I bolded the best ones and ^_^ the bestest ones. IMHO, of course. Not that bad of a decade really.

* Aliens (1986)
* Amadeus (1984) ^_^

* Back to the Future (1985)

* Back to the Future Part II (1989)
* Batman (1989)
* Beetlejuice (1988)
* Big (1988)
* The Brave Little Toaster (1987)
* Blue Velvet (1986) ^_^
* Brazil (1985) ^_^
* The Breakfast Club (1985)
* Cocoon (1985)
* The Color Purple (1985)
* Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) ^_^
* Do the Right Thing (1989) ^_^
* Dead Poets Society (1989)
* The Dead Zone (1983)
* The Elephant Man (1980) ^_^
* Fanny and Alexander (1983) ^_^
* The Fly (1986)
* Full Metal Jacket (1987) ^_^
* Ghostbusters (1984)
* Ghostbusters II (1989)
* Hannah and Her Sisters (1986) ^_^
* Indiana Jones series
* Kagemusha (1980) I haven't even seen this, but I'll probably like it since... you know...
* The King of Comedy (1983)
* The Little Mermaid (1989)
* Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983)
* Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)
^_^
* Once Upon a Time in America (1984) ^_^
* Pink Floyd The Wall (1982)
* Radio Days (1987) ^_^
* Raging Bull (1980) ^_^
* Ran (1985) ^_^
* Reds (1981) ^_^
* Repo Man (1984)
* Sans Soleil (1983) Once, again I haven't seen it, but I liked La Jetee so...
* Sex, Lies and Videotape (1989)
* The Shining (1980) ^_^
* Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
* Stand By Me (1986)
* Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
* Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
* They Live (1988)
* The Thing (1982)

* Tron (1982)
* Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
* Videodrome (1983)

These are the 80s films I like...
* Kagemusha (1980) I haven't even seen this, but I'll probably like it since... you know...
* Sans Soleil (1983) Once, again I haven't seen it, but I liked La Jetee so...
Why would you include films you haven't even seen yet? Odd.

I went with the sixties.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Here are a few others from the 1980s...

Excalibur
"Berlin Alexanderplatz"
An American Werewolf in London
Gremlins
The Road Warrior
Diner
The Decalogue
Atlantic City
RoboCop
Prizzi's Honor
Tootsie
Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring
Queen of Hearts
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
The Right Stuff
Stop Making Sense
A Fish Called Wanda
Vincent
Frankenweenie
Jesus of Montreal
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Pelle the Conqueror
Poltergeist
The Vanishing
E.T.
Cinema Paradiso
The Terminator
Tampopo
Gandhi
Otello
Barbarosa
Babette's Feast
The Emerald Forest
Victor/Victoria
Glory
several others, especially cultish films

Oh, I went with the '70s.

I also went with the 60s but it's a tough choice.

Since I already have them written up here were my favorite 80s films as of February 2008.

1989:
1. Black Rain (Shohei Imamura); 2. Do the Right Thing; 3. Rikyu; 4. Tetsuo: the Iron Man; 5. Pedicab Driver; 6. Casualties of War; 7. The Unbelievable Truth; 8. How to Get Ahead in Advertising; 9. The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover; 10. Sex, Lies, and Videotape; 11. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; 12. A Better Tomorrow III; 13. The War of the Roses; 14. When Harry Met Sally; 15. Story of Riki; 16. Kiki’s Delivery Service; 17. Violent Cop; 18. Summer Vacation 1999; 19. Mystery Train; 20. The Master; 21. Crimes and Misdemeanors; 22. Santa Sangre;

1988:
1. Dead Ringers; 2. Akira; 3. Time of the Gypsies; 4. Drowning by Numbers; 5. The Thin Blue Line; 6. Eight Men Out; 7. A Taxing Woman's Return; 8. My Neighbor Totoro; 9. Tapeheads; 10. A Fish Called Wanda; 11. Dragons Forever; 12. Grave of Fireflies; 13. Clean and Sober; 14. The Last Temptation of Christ; 15. Alice (Svankmajer's Alice in Wonderland); 16. Frantic; 17. I'm Gonna Git You Sucka; 18. As Tears Go By; 19. Male Games; 20. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels; 21. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen; 22. Lair of the White Worm; 23. School Daze; 24. Scrooged;

1987:
1. The Untouchables; 2. Full Metal Jacket; 3. Final Victory; 4. Withnail & I; 5. High Tide; 6. Throw Momma From the Train; 7. A Taxing Woman; 8. Matewan; 9. Roxanne; 10. Evil Dead 2; 11. Bomber Bikers of Shonan; 12. The Princess Bride; 13. Project A: Part 2; 14. The Wings of Honneamise; 15. Neo-Tokyo; 16. The Belly of an Architect; 17. Robot Carnival; 18. Hellraiser; 19. Red Sorghum; 20. Raising Arizona; 21. City on Fire; 22. Cobra Verde; 23. Zegen; 24. Planes, Trains & Automobiles; 25. Robocop; 26. Twilight of the Cockroaches; 27. Magnificent Warriors;

1986:
1. The Singing Detective (mini-series); 2. The Fly; 3. Peking Opera Blues; 4. The Mosquito Coast; 5. Aliens; 6. The Color of Money; 7. Fist of the North Star; 8. Blue Velvet; 9. Laputa; 10. Little Shop of Horrors; 11. Millionaire's Express; 12. They Were 11; 13. A Better Tomorrow; 14. Street of Crocodiles; 15. Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer; 16. From Beyond; 17. Eastern Condors; 18. She's Gotta Have it; 19. Down by Law; 20. In the Line of Duty; 21. 1/2 Mensch;

1985:
1. Tampopo; 2. A Zed & Two Noughts; 3. Mr. Vampire; 4. Mishima; 5. Re-Animator; 6. Ran; 7. Dagger of Kamui; 8. Alamo Bay; 9. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure; 10. The Return of the Living Dead; 11. The Falcon and the Snowman; 12. Himatsuri; 13. To Live and Die in L.A.; 14. Police Story; 15. After Hours; 16. Night on the Galactic Railroad; 17. Kiss of the Spider Woman; 18. Brazil;

1984:
1. Repo Man; 2. Stop Making Sense; 3. Stranger Than Paradise; 4. Paris, Texas; 5. Gremlins; 6. Terminator; 7. The Funeral; 8. A Nightmare on Elm Street; 9. Wheels on Meals; 10. Macross: Do You Remember Love; 11. All of Me; 12. The Brother From Another Planet; 13. Blood Simple; 14. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind; 15. Body Double; 16. Once Upon a Time in America; 17. Where the Green Ants Dream; 18. Antonio Gaudi; 19. Beautiful Dreamer; 20. The Killing Fields; 21. Dune;

1983:
1. Nostalghia; 2. Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain; 3. The Ballad of Narayama; 4. Videodrome; 5. The Man With Two Brains; 6. Scarface; 7. Project A; 8. Zelig; 9. A Christmas Story; 10. The Professional: Golgio 13; 11. Lianna; 12. Winners and Sinners; 13. The King of Comedy; 14. Baby It’s You; 15. Harmagedon;

1982:
1. Blade Runner; 2. The Draughtsman's Contract; 3. Cat People; 4. My Favorite Year; 5. Gundam 3; 6. White Dog; 7. Conan the Barbarian; 8. Arcadia of My Youth; 9. Fitzcarraldo; 10. The Prodigal Son; 11. The Snowman; 12. The Year of Living Dangerously; 13. The Marathon Family; 14. Dragon Lord; 15. Poltergeist; 16. Gorsch the Cellist; 17. Tenebre; 18. Atomic Cafe; 19. Burden of Dreams; 20. Diner;

1981:
1. My Dinner With Andre; 2. The Raiders of the Lost Ark; 3. An American Werewolf in London; 4. Blow Out; 5. Das Boot; 6. The French Lieutenant's Woman; 7. Gundam; 8. Gundam 2; 9. Time Bandits; 10. Pennies From Heaven; 11. Eijanaika; 12. Scanners;

1980:
1. Popeye; 2. The Empire Strikes Back; 3. The Long Good Friday; 4. Encounters of the Spooky Kind; 5. Don't Play With Fire; 6. Atlantic City; 7. The Falls; 8. Toward the Terra; 9. Return of the Secaucus 7; 10. The Young Master; 11. The Shining; 12. The Sword;

I picked 90's overall as i'm somewhat of a 90's baby and you had the best of the best in film. You had Scream, Heat, Dead Man's Curve, La Haine, Three Colours Trilogy, Pulp Fiction, The Matrix,etc. That era also introduced the new breed of cinema with the likes of Christopher Nolan, Paul Thomas Anderson, Darren Aronofsky and M Night Shyamalan.

2nd place would be 40's for me because of the film noir movement. I absolutely adore the original american noirs of the 40's, and I think I have probably seen more 40's films than I have 70's, to be honest. I love the look and the genesis behind it gives it a sense of importance.

I suppose I should check out the 70's more as even though I did a few modules that covered that decade, I haven't seen as much as I probably should have.

I gave the reasons just after the title... not really odd to expect to like something is it? Especially from 2 renowned filmmakers? If anything, take it as a joke.
---
Really great list Linepalsy! I don't know why the Wikipedia list didn't have half of those films. I just went through the decade list hoping that it was comprehensive... probably a bad idea. But yeah. Every single thing on your list.

Every. Single. Thing. Even the ones I haven't seen.

Ever since 2000 I've kept alphabetical and "ranked by favorite" lists of every movie I've seen by year, which is kind of obsessive but also really good for remembering movies, and a fun way to compare taste with friends. I recommend it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's kind of weird that a lot of 80's movies just somehow don't appeal to me all that much. The only real movie I've loved from the 80's so far is Rain Man. But honestly, I haven't seen much and there's not much I'm dying to see either.

Maybe so Lime, but now I have seen Kagemusha, and I'll be damned if it isn't my favorite Kurosawa under SS. Maybe even over... I'm still so utterly stunned by it right now It's a shame that it's often overshadowed by Ran.

The most loathsome of all goblins
The 1960's, which because of what was going on in Hollywood, was a wonderful mixture of Golden Age-esque studio films and auteur pictures. And then of course there was the European scene in the 60's, just wow.

The most loathsome of all goblins
Why aren't the 20s in the poll?
Good question. Also I'm very surprised that no-one has yet voted for the 1930's, an amazing decade which would be my second choice.

Gonna drag some posts from various other threads in this section to here, with what I believe are truly 'great' movies from a few sets, I find it really hard to pick between these.

50s

Rio Bravo
Vertigo
North by Northwest
The Searchers
The Bridge on the River Kwai
60s

Persona
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Psycho
2001: A Space Odyssey
Once Upon a Time in the West
Dr. Strangelove
70s

Aguirre, the Wrath of God
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver
Chinatown
Badlands
A Clockwork Orange
Jaws
80s

Blow Out
The Shining
Die Hard
Raging Bull
Brazil
Blade Runner
Back to the Future
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Blue Velvet
I'm going to vote 1980s purely due to the variety in great movies that appear, a real mixture of some of my favourite movies from various different genres. Blow Out is one of my favourite thrillers, The Shining is one of my favourite horrors, Raging Bull is one of my famous drama/biography (and sport), Brazil, Blade Runner and Back to the Future are three of the most creative and brilliant sci-fi films ever, Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the most enjoyable and fun movies filled with great action and Blue Velvet is one of my favourite crime films, unforgettable.

Just another movie Guru
The eighties. While the 70's made the general film industry more tolerable with cheech and chong, it wasn't until the 80's that it seemed to focus on story, character and extreme situations.

It was also the last decade they relied on real effects.. In Die Hard, THOSE WERE REAL EXPLOSIONS. In Live Free Die Hard.. Not all of them were! LAME.

Gotta go with the 70s, with the 60s trailing not too far behind.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well it probably would have been the 2000's but 2nd for me is the 50s. 3rd place would probably go to 90s or 40s.

Holding up on the back end for me is easily the 80's.

The 1980's because I love science fiction and the 1980's were the golden age of science fiction. Also, Miyazaki made 4 great movies in the 1980's, plus Takahata made 2 great movies. There were also great non-Ghibli and non-science fiction films including Fanny and Alexander, Nostalghia, Amadeus, etc.