Concert Tab

Tools    

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
I know how you feel. so many concerts coming up...in two to three months. nothing right now though...
perhaps I need to lower my standard of live music and see some local acts I'm sure they're ok I mean all good bands had to start somewhere right?

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by SpoOkY
perhaps I need to lower my standard of live music and see some local acts I'm sure they're ok I mean all good bands had to start somewhere right?
Yeah, sometimes local bands will surprise you. The Boston scene (where I am) is pretty damn good right now, but I must conserve my money...Pearl Jam, Dweezil Zappa, Tom Petty, and The Who are all coming here soon! lol.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

stranger then a drunken mime
Sounds of the underground

I See You When You're Sleeping
I went to see Mogwai last week. Never seen them before but have been quite a long time fan so I was glad to finally get round to seeing them. Brilliant band.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Calexico + Iron & Wine

Fantastic concert. First Iron & Wine did an acoustic set, then a plugged in set. Then they did a couple of songs together with Calexico. And then a fantastic Mexican singer called Salvador Duran did a couple of songs acoustically and I do believe that he might have gotten the biggest applaudes that night. And then Calexico entered the stage and was marvellous. It was a long concert and since it was in Copenhagen and I had to catch the last train back to Sweden I didn't see it until the end. So I bet they played "He Lays in the Reins" after we'd left. But it was a very very good concert.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The Flaming Lips

Definitely one of the best concerts I've ever seen. So much fun, such great songs, so sincere, so much love for the music and their audience, great room (Tivoli Concert Hall in Copenhagen)... Wayne Coyne has a weird ability to be extremely charismatic and decent, down to earth and really nice at the same time. And they put on a great show... I was there with three friends and we all agreed that it was if not the best than at least one of the best shows we'd ever seen.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - New York

It was entertaining. I do not care greatly for the yeah yeah yeahs, they put on a decent show...I have a bit more appreciation for them and was thrilled to recognise one song.

Saturday- Fall Out Boy, All American Rejects, and From First To Last

16th- Tool

June 7th- Radiohead

July 5th- Taking Back Sunday, Angels and Airwaves, Head Automatic, and The Subways

Sept 25th - Red Hot Chili Peppers w/ Mars Volta

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

Originally Posted by susan
just bought tickets to csny at jones beach aug 22..sold out show..looking forward to seeing them all together (having already seen csn) and hearing neil young...
That sounds cool. I didn't know they were touring again.. a bit unexpected now when Young has a fresh solo album out (is it out yet?). You know what's funny? I'm listening to Young's "Old Ways" as I'm reading/writing this!

i had no idea until a friend mentioned it to me at dinner last weekend...he was saying that he just bought tickets and that if we wanted some, we'd better get started as it was almost sold out..

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Calexico + Iron & Wine

Fantastic concert. First Iron & Wine did an acoustic set, then a plugged in set. Then they did a couple of songs together with Calexico. And then a fantastic Mexican singer called Salvador Duran did a couple of songs acoustically and I do believe that he might have gotten the biggest applaudes that night. And then Calexico entered the stage and was marvellous. It was a long concert and since it was in Copenhagen and I had to catch the last train back to Sweden I didn't see it until the end. So I bet they played "He Lays in the Reins" after we'd left. But it was a very very good concert.
Calexico + Iron&Wine ( take two )

i just realized you had to go to Copenhagen to see them. the reason i was so hesitant to go to this concert was because it was held in the capital ( about 100miles from where i live ) and i wasn't sure if it was worth the hasle for a band i've never heard anything by. but now i see my trip was peanuts compared to yours.

anyways, as i've said earlier, the gig was one of the best i've ever attended. it started off with Iron&Wine doing an acoustic song...his whispering-type singing and nothing but a guitar failed to impress the audience and the rumour made him almost inaudiable ( i was very embaressed...it showed poor manners and that's not how i wanted him to remember Croatia ). it was a nice song, but nothing special ( i never though someone could whisper-sing softer than Sufjan Stevens...apparently, it's possible ). i think he got the drift so right after the first song he plugged the guitar in and sang a bit louder. that shut up the crowd and turned up the atmosphere a notch or two.

and then calexico came to give him a hand and man, it made all the difference. the drums, the base, and that wierd instrument which i cannot name....incredible music....the crowd went crazy as soon as Calexico's drummer hit those base drumms...( the man is the king of funky rythms ). so from quiet almost gospel like music, the gig went to rythm and blues...i could almost envision myself in the swaps of the south.

the second part started with Salvador Duran doing a solo ( to which the crowd went a bit "what the hell is this??" but after he was finished, they cheered like crazy. then he did a flamenco song, and suddenly this incredibly beautiful trumpet started playing in the back of the room ( it wasn't a big concert hall, a small club, but packed with about 300 people )...i got the chills and the crowd was very much pleasantly surprised.

and then calexico came on, and the first song they did ( with Salvador ) just blew me away. i wish i could tell you what song it was, but it took the gig to a whole new level. a massive explosion of bass, drums and incredible trumpet solos...i was mezmerized. i never knew trumpets could rock so hard. they play very eclectic music, at times they reminded me of Manu Chao, Ryan Adams and The shins. the blend of americana and mexican music is quite incredible ( it's all about the trumpets man )...they transported me into mexico and arizona....and the videos they showed on the back wall were perfect....the whole death culture of mexico, the sceletons, the cactuses...wow....

when they finished the set, the crowd refused to move, they cheered until they went back and did 4 more songs with Iron & Wine, finishing the gig with a beautiful rendition of Wild Horses...and Burn that broken bed ( dear god in heaven, what a song....i think it lasted about 15 minutes....endless trumpet solos and mezmerizing singing....it almost put the crowd and myself into a trans like state..and i couldn't get it out of my head for a couple fo hours after the show )

all in all, one of the best nights of my life...

p.s. before the gig started i saw this weird fella strolling around carelessly with a huge beard and i thought to myslef, this has to be one of the performers, no doubt, and it turned out it was Iron & Wine ( or what ever his real name is ). isn't it wonderful that he could just walk arround without being hassled by the crowd? is that like a european thing? don't bother the artist?
when i left the gig ( which lasted about 3 hours all thogether and ended at 1 o'clock after midnight ) i was walking past the back entrance and saw calexico chilling and drinking beers with Iron & Wine...i could have easily walked up to them and said hello, or asked for an autograph, but i'm not that kind of person....heh....and i always wondered how people got to the performers and talked to them...this was the first time i had easy acces to them....only in Croatia can this sort of thing happen....

and yes, they just got a new fan, i'm getting all their albums, plus the collaboration with Iron & Wine ( i'm not so sure i'll be getting his solo stuff...a bit too quiet for me ) although i am a bit worried they wont live up to the gig....hmm...

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Ritchie Havens The man has incredible energy for his age. He held the crowd rapt, finished with a feverish rendition of "Motherless Child" and since I was right next to the stage, I was able to grab a guitar pick he'd tossed away. I'm gonna frame it with the ticket.

I watched Dungen the other night. They were really good but it appeared as they didn't care too much about the gig, especially the guitarist seemed to want to be somewhere else (in United States perhaps, apparently they're bigger there than here in Sweden). But still, they can really play and it was mostly positive.

csny...what a concert...neil young was in great form, but let me warn you guys...very political..he played most of his new album, living with war....

crosby and nash did a beautiful rendition of my favorite song guinevere and the group did a few oldies, our house, teach your children, carry on, deja vu, wooden ships, long time comin' and neil did only love can break your heart, backed by nash and crosby...ohio and find the cost of freedom ending with neil's rockin' in the free world...

sold out show....and one of the best concerts i've seen in years...not to mention they played for three hours with one 20 minute break...

Originally Posted by susan
csny...what a concert...neil young was in great form, but let me warn you guys...very political..he played most of his new album, living with war....

crosby and nash did a beautiful rendition of my favorite song guinevere and the group did a few oldies, our house, teach your children, carry on, deja vu, wooden ships, long time comin' and neil did only love can break your heart, backed by nash and crosby...ohio and find the cost of freedom ending with neil's rockin' in the free world...

sold out show....and one of the best concerts i've seen in years...not to mention they played for three hours with one 20 minute break...
Cool...

Donkey Punch-Drunk Love
I saw two great shows this past summer.

Rob Zombie w/ Anthrax was amazing. Anthrax werent so great, their sound was WAY too distorted. Zombie as always put on an amazing show.

I also saw Bad Religion & Dropkick Murphys w/ Clit 14 and Comeback Kid. Clit sucked (lol) they were rather Simple Plan-ish. Comeback Kid was a nice sortof combo of Billy Talent and Alexisonfire. DKM, my favourite band in the world, made me hoarse from yelling between tokes, and Bad Religion was a wonderful ending to an amazing night.

Feb 11 - Cradle Of Filth (maybe)