Millennial Song Tournament

Tools    

2- Metallica-The Day that Never Comes VS. 5- Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
I'm just not a fan of Destiny's Child or Beyoncé, Plus, that Metallica is one of their last really good songs.

7- Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse "Valerie" VS. 2- Jet-Are You Gonna Be My Girl
I've always liked that Jet song. Didn't care much for Valerie.

1- Lady Gaga - Bad Romance VS. 5- Disturbed - Land of Confusion
I prefer the Genesis version of Confusion. Plus, Lady Gaga is my nom and that song is her best.

1- The Strokes - Last Nite
VS. 11- The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Last Nite is possibly the best rock song of the 00's. It's my nom, too, so it gets the automatic vote. Never heard The Civil Wars, and I must say that song is very intriguing. Under any other circumstance, it would have gotten my vote.

12- Ty - Mind Made Up VS. 7- Faith Hill "There You'll Be"
I liked the Ty song. Very cool.

8- Three Days Grace - Get Out Alive VS. 6- Lose Yourself - Eminem
I love Eminem, and that song has been overplayed to death, but it's still better than Get Out Alive in my opinion.

9- Disease - Matchbox Twenty VS. 13- Gwen Stefani - Cool
Disease is one of MB20's weakest songs. I like Cool by Gwen.

8- Sum 41 - Pieces VS. 5- Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
Crazy was my jam back when it was first released.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's been awhile since I participated in a song tournament and I figured joining this one would help me get back into the groove of posting more regularly, but damn, it's like you people found a list of my least favorite songs/artists and proceeded to nominate nothing but that stuff just to spite me. I was hoping Swan or Gatsby or just anyone whose taste isn't diametrically opposed to my own would join, but no such luck. Ya'll got me feeling like gbgoodies in a metal tournament.

Now you know why I didn't join this tournament.

ROUND 1 DAY 2

5- Kimbra - Settle Down VS. 10 - Jay Z/Linkin Park - Numb/Encore
("Numb" is one of the few songs by Linkin Park that I don't mind listening to, but I hated this mish-mash. Never heard of Kimbra. She has an interesting voice.)

10 - Coldplay - The Scientist VS. 1- Puddle Of Mudd - Blurry
(I used to be a fan of both these bands and would play the respective albums that these songs belong to on my Sony Discman while riding the bus to and from school. Puddle of Mudd's Come Clean, with its post-grunge sound, was a welcome respite from all the god-awful nu-metal that was popular at the time. This is a toss-up for me. I've soured on Coldplay a lot over the years, but I'll go with "The Scientist," which is arguably their best song, in my opinion.)

1- Green Day - American Idiot VS. 9- Make Me - Janet Jackson
(I like Green Day, but I've always found them a bit overrated. Still an easy choice. Janet Jackson just isn't my cup of nipple shield.)

9- Without Me - Eminem VS. 11- Wolfmother - Woman
("Without Me" is funny and catchy, but I've always thought of it as a second-rate "The Real Slim Shady." Wolfmother is one of the few modern hard rock bands I love, mainly because they sound nothing like modern hard rock bands. Their music has a very heavy Sabbath/Zeppelin influence.)

11- The White Buffalo - Oh Darlin', What Have I Done? VS. 10 - Akala - Fire in the Booth
(For what it is, the Akala thing is impressive. It's nice to hear a rap song that feels meaningful. His rhymes, his rapid delivery, the fact that he basically spits out an entire novella in a matter of minutes -- he's clearly a very talented dude. And I say this as someone who doesn't typically care for a lot of rap music. The White Buffalo is one of my favorite recent discoveries. I'm very pleased to see that a couple of you liked this song enough to check out more of his music. Everything I've heard from him so far has been worthwhile. I love his alt-country/southern rock sound. Plus he's a very good songwriter and his voice reminds me quite a bit of Eddie Vedder. I like the way this particular song builds, along with the restrained passion and remorseful anguish in his voice. When trying to decide which of his songs to nominate, I noticed that a lot of them, this one included, were apparently used in Sons of Anarchy. I've never watched that show (although I want to and I think I'd like it), but I can definitely see why they'd make frequent use of The White Buffalo since his music has a grizzled, outlaw vibe to it. I'm pretty sure Johnny Cash would've been a fan.)

2- Modest Mouse-Float On VS. 1- Foo Fighters - Best Of You
(Much like Green Day, Foo Fighters is another band I like but find overrated. I think their prominence over the last several years has more to do with the sad state of modern rock n' roll than their own greatness. I actually considered nominating "Float On" myself. It's a very cool, odd song.)

3- Lana Del Rey - Gods and Monsters VS. 9- Save Room - John Legend
(If I could sleep with any five women on the planet right now, Lana Del Rey would probably make the cut. I think the main reason I like some of her songs is because I imagine her singing them to me naked. I honestly do think she's a great lyricist, though. She has a line in this song about being "an angel wanting to get f*cked hard." That's a girl after my own heart. Frequent references to Jim Morrison also help. John Legend, meanwhile, is nowhere near as talented as he thinks he is.)

12- Naughty Boy - La La La VS. 3- The Killers - Mr. Brightside
(I don't like "Mr. Brightside" as much as I did ten years ago, but it's a lot better than the Naughty Boy song, which is probably my least favorite song in this set.)

ROUND 1 DAY 3

Metallica-The Day that Never Comes
Not their finest but a clear winner for me here

Jet-Are You Gonna Be My Girl
First one is a pointless ruination of a perfectly good song imo

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
Just want to go on record to say this is not a vote for, just less of a vote against

The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow
Very nice composition - I likes it

Ty - Mind Made Up
Nicely put together track

Three Days Grace - Get Out Alive
Again not their finest but that's not an Eminem track I have much love for I'm afraid

Disease - Matchbox Twenty
I prefer Gwen with No Doubt

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
I'll be upfront and say I can tolerate the (extremely) occasional listen to this but it ain't gonna stand much of a chance after this round with me as it very quickly gets on my mammaries if listened to in quick succession ... sorry, just being honest

The White Buffalo is one of my favorite recent discoveries. I'm very pleased to see that a couple of you liked this song enough to check out more of his music.
Might as well tell you now then that Go The Distance is another that was already on my 'nominate sometime' list

Might as well tell you now then that Go The Distance is another that was already on my 'nominate sometime' list
I agree! White Buffalo was a cool discovery!
And, so far, so was The Civil Wars

ROUND 1 DAY 3

Both good songs, so it's a difficult choice.

1- The Strokes - Last Nite VS. 11- The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow

I agree! White Buffalo was a cool discovery!
And, so far, so was The Civil Wars
Yep, like Capt I only stumbled across him recently (a few months ago). Always good new music to be found as long as you look for it and are open to it. That's partly why these have been so much fun in the past, some of the participants have had broad tastes

CHYPMUNK, I JUST SAW YOU NOMINATED MY WIFE CHELSEA.

Grats on the nuptials my man!!!

I would have nominated this one though. This is my favorite Chelsea Wolfe song.

I would have nominated this one though. This is my favorite Chelsea Wolfe song.
Shoulda joined then innit
We both know the outcome either way though don't we

ROUND 1 DAY 3

1- The Strokes - Last Nite VS. 11- The Civil Wars - Barton Hollow