1 pesky sciuridae, 504 leaps, an unknown number of fillums

Tools    

Your rating for this film is way too high. What a lazy conclusion to a lazy trilogy.
Perhaps but I found enough of it entertaining in a mindless way to merit giving it that and I went in with no expectations of it being any more than mindless entertainment (that was pretty much a given as soon as it was announced such a short tale was to be a trilogy).

I had no idea when I clicked on this thread what I was going to enter. A film diary thread... well okay then. Quite an interesting name you came up with there...

Most unfortunate that you watched the remake before the original Solaris.

I had no idea when I clicked on this thread what I was going to enter. A film diary thread... well okay then. Quite an interesting name you came up with there...
Just thought I'd be my usual eclectic self

Most unfortunate that you watched the remake before the original Solaris.
Hopefully I'll be able to get round to the original at some point (when I can find it for purchase at a reasonable price). The good thing about being old with a bad memory is that by that time I'll probably have forgotten what the story is about and it will still be a fresh experience

Have you seen any other Tarkovsky movies?
Sadly I've not seen any of his. The two that interest me most are Solaris and Stalker - I keep a regular eye out for the opportunity to get one, the other or both at a reasonable price but alas thus far that search remains fruitless. I have the patience of a slowworm though so one day I'll get hold of them and fulfil that desire.

20th March:
54. Michael Collins (Neil Jordan - 1996, tv)
+
Fairly accurate biopic but Julia Roberts as Kitty was a terrible casting choice and the love triangle features too heavily for my liking.

55. The Day (Douglas Aarniokoski - 2011, dvd)
+
Low budget post-apocalyptic movie that doesn't really have much to offer outside of some bursts of action that are ok imo.

All of Tarkovsky's movies are masterpieces, but I think the one that mesmerized me the most was Andrei Rublev. You should try ordering them online instead of waiting ten years.

All of Tarkovsky's movies are masterpieces, but I think the one that mesmerized me the most was Andrei Rublev. You should try ordering them online instead of waiting ten years.
The animal cruelty in that one kinda makes me think twice about getting hold of a copy tbh.
'Online'? What's that then? We only have stone etched movies over here, hence the long wait times

Nope just someone that doesn't see cruelty to animals in the making of a film as a necessary thing. Doesn't necessarily make me dislike a film but does make me feel uncomfortable watching it. It's why Stalker and Solaris interest me most at the moment, if I like what I'll see I'd watch Andrei Rublev and just deal with it.

I eat animals on a daily basis. Killing off endangerd species, destroying the environment, things like that I just think are stupid, but hurting animals to make brilliant art is not something I have an issue with. I can't really think of a philosophy of life that takes issue with hurting animals that makes any sense. And from a religious perspective, I don't think animals have souls. I wouldn't crush an ant for pleasure any more than I'd crush a flower. But I wouldn't take an issue with either being crushed in a film.

I'm not criticising you though, just sharing my perspective.

S'ok - never took it as criticism. Am all for people speaking their minds openly - I'm more than comfortable enough in who I am and how I feel about things and always aware any issue in life can have multiple viewpoints/perspectives

Mind if I ask why the hurt of animals is an issue for you in regards to that particular Tarkovsky movie?

I've never seen any movie like it in regards to what they did with animals, and not merely in terms of hurt. I think you SHOULD watch it. Of course it's all up to you and I have no intention of trying to convince you to do something you don't want to do. Just that it is art in the purest sense of "art."

Mind if I ask why the hurt of animals is an issue for you in regards to that particular Tarkovsky movie?

I've never seen any movie like it in regards to what they did with animals, and not merely in terms of hurt. I think you SHOULD watch it. Of course it's all up to you and I have no intention of trying to convince you to do something you don't want to do. Just that it is art in the purest sense of "art."
It's not an 'issue' per se - I'd just rather see if I like his style of direction via Solaris/Stalker first ... if I do then as I said I will look to watch that one too, if I don't then I won't ... not because it contains animal cruelty but because I'm not keen on his style.

Fret not - nobody is capable of convincing me to do anything I don't want to nor conversely to not do something I want to

Fret not - nobody is capable of convincing me to do anything I don't want to nor conversely to not do something I want to
Have you told Mrs. Chymunk that?

I eat animals on a daily basis. Killing off endangerd species, destroying the environment, things like that I just think are stupid, but hurting animals to make brilliant art is not something I have an issue with. I can't really think of a philosophy of life that takes issue with hurting animals that makes any sense. And from a religious perspective, I don't think animals have souls. I wouldn't crush an ant for pleasure any more than I'd crush a flower. But I wouldn't take an issue with either being crushed in a film.

I know it's just words in a discussion, so I don't take it too seriously. It's still the single most upsetting thing I have read here.

23rd March:
56. The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser [Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle] (Werner Herzog - 1974, tv)

An intriguing (and odd as befits Herzog) period character tale that is well enough presented and it's lead tries hard in a very difficult role but sadly it's no Aguirre or Fitzcarraldo for me.