If you could see a classic movie In the ‬theater

Tools    

2001. I saw it when it came out in Cinerama, Id like to see it again in that format.

Though Big Trouble in Little China is great and I bought a DVD, it's regreatable an actual Chinese movie with incredible special FXs (except a poor CGI bear!) never reached western audiences. It's name is Skin Resurrection 2. Even in DVD is great. I saw many times Ben Hur (that chariot scene is like you are massacred along with Mesala under the horses' hoofs in the arena even more stunning than Gladiator,Spartacus and Demetrius and the Gladiators in Cinemascope) and the Ten Commandments at the movie theatre. The walls of water were almost reachable. I would like to see Lawrence of Arabia and Dune in the big canvas, Bladerunner and colorized version of Metropolis. I would include in this list 2001 Space Odyssey and 2010 sequel. 2001 I remember saw it at the movie theatre, great hallucinogen sort of experience. Other in that sense is Altered States which I don't recall ever seeing beyond the limits of the tv screen.
I remember a film I saw at the cinema theatre. It was so wonderful that I even remember what place and with whom. It's Total Recall with Schwarzenegger... that Martian pyramid throwing up frozen clouds which climbed the mountain down afterwards, the eyes coming out of the orbits, Arnold's face inside a fat woman's head peeling off like an orange skin or Escher's painting "bond of union", arms chopped off, Martian red landscape with trains entering the mines. More impressive than Minority Report and the remake with Colin Farrel which looked well too.

I don't have a title, but it might be some great silent epic that I have NOT seen on the big screen with live music. I've seen Phantom of the Opera, Metropolis and Nosferatu at full size with live music by musicians that make a living doing this and it's so different from today's usual movie presentation that it was a really big novelty. Maybe Intolerance or the Cabinet of Dr Caligari?

Actually there are several I would love to see in the theatre;

Intolerance (1916, USA),
The Wicker Man (1973, United Kingdom),
Phantom of the Opera (1925, USA),
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923, USA),
Dragonwyck (1946, USA),
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945, USA),
Frankenstein (1931, USA),
Dracula (1931, USA),
Jaws (1975, USA),
Escape from New York (1981, USA),
Blade Runner (1982, USA),
Vampyr (1932, Germany)
Haxan (1922, Denmark)
The Seventh Seal (1957, Sweden)
Wild Strawberries (1957, Sweden)
Fanny and Alexander (1982, Sweden),
Nosferatu (1922, Germany),
Faust (1926, Germany),
The Phantom Carriage (1921, Sweden),
Ben Hur (1959, USA),
The Robe (1953, USA),
Quo Vadis (1951, USA),
Spartacus (1960, USA),
Les Visiteurs du Soir (1942, France),
La Belle et La Bete (1946, France),
Black Moon (1975, France),
Samson and Deliah (1946, USA) and
The Ten Commandments (1956, USA).

I'm sure I could continue my list but I will stop here for now.. I love old films..... some of the films were listed when I was a teenager but I would love to see them again in the theatre.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I don't have a title, but it might be some great silent epic that I have NOT seen on the big screen with live music. I've seen Phantom of the Opera, Metropolis and Nosferatu at full size with live music by musicians that make a living doing this and it's so different from today's usual movie presentation that it was a really big novelty. Maybe Intolerance or the Cabinet of Dr Caligari?
Alloy Orchestra?

I live in the Seattle Area and we get many great films playing all the time.

We just had the 70MM film festival at Cinerama.

I've seen these classic films at Cinerama.

Apocalypse Now

The Road Warrior

Ben-Hur

Metropolis (with Alloy Orchestra)

Alien

Blade Runner

Lawrence of Arabia

My wife had never seen it before. So the first time she's sees it is in the 70MM format on that gigantic screen! I was so jealous!

2001: A Space Odyssey

Not to spoil the film, but at one part there is an extremely loud noise. Again my wife had not seen the film. So I decided not to tell her. She punched me in the shoulder and asked, "why didn't tell me?" Or something like that.

Last month it's playing again and her sister and daughter want to see it. So we both decide not to tell them about it. What a little hypocrite! The projectionist came out of the booth just to watch the crowd's reaction.

Also I've seen Seattle Symphony do Psycho.

Now back to the topic.

Patton

Bullitt

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

Ran

The Black Stallion

Seattle Symphony do The Wizard Of Oz

That selection...

2001 really stands out for me. I would love to watch that masterpiece on a giant screen, but I'm glad I watched it on my computer first. The last 10 minutes freaked me out.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

That selection...

2001 really stands out for me. I would love to watch that masterpiece on a giant screen, but I'm glad I watched it on my computer first. The last 10 minutes freaked me out.
You are in Vancouver? Just come down and check it out. Here is the website for Seattle Cinerama, http://www.cinerama.com/. They have a horror festival coming up that I posted in the shoutbox.

Get there early and go across the street to Top Pot Doughnuts.

I am happy I saw 2001 , Apocalypse Now, Matrix, Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, Avatar, Titanic, Tron 2 and other important films at the theatre. But I would like to see something ON STAGE.

Can you imagine 8 horses trained to run on treadmills??? Well that's what people saw at the theatre before the film Ben Hur:
http://fotolog.terra.com/detodounpoco:1131
On the back a canvas with the painting of a circus or amphitheater ran the opposite way, that is backwards to enhance the illusions the horses pulling the chariots were going ahead and winning the race. Once Mesala's horses won the race by mistake! Roman colliseum was flooded when they recreated naval battles, they did something like that FX but without water. I would like to see that!

The problem of the chariot race was solved by training 8 horses, pulling two chariots, to run on treadmills installed in the floor of the stage. The effect was heightened by the addition of belts turned at 90 degrees at the horses' hooves, so that as they ran-faster or slower-these belts looked like the ground was moving at pace with the horses. To further the effect of the racing horses, a combination of powders was forced up through the treadmill by blowers under the floor to resemble dust.

Beyond the racing of the chariots and the paced rotation of the back and side scenes of the "arena", the dramatic wreck of Messala's chariot at the climax of the race was accomplished with a trick chariot. While Ben-Hur's chariot wheels were actually in contact with the treadmill, Messala's chariot rested on a yoke with springs that kept the wheels slightly above the treadmill. A motor was used to spin his wheels. At the critical moment, another small electric motor blew the wheels off of Messala's chariot, the basket and rider dropped onto the springing yoke and the treadmill and adjacent flooring carrying Messala jerked back 15 feet allowing Ben-Hur to win. According to William S. Hart, who played Messala, this complicated mechanism worked all but one of the 400 times his horses raced. While the horses ran at full gallop on the stage, the background scenery was installed on a cyclorama and moved behind the racing chariots to complete the illusion that the chariots and horses were actually moving.

Could we make it a hypothetical movie theater that we own with a full weekend to cram some favs in. Say the theater is your ten thousand foot bedroom and you've invited all your pals over for a weekend sleepover, tons of booze, food, whatever is your poison as the film rolls: Citizen Kane, Third Man, The Exorcist, Apocalypse Now, French Connection, Duel, Star Wars, God Father 1,2, The Wall, Tommy, Predator, First Blood, ah where does one stop? Now that's what I'd do if I was a millionaire.

I live in the Seattle Area and we get many great films playing all the time.

We just had the 70MM film festival at Cinerama.

I've seen these classic films at Cinerama.

Apocalypse Now

The Road Warrior

Ben-Hur

Metropolis (with Alloy Orchestra)

Alien

Blade Runner

Lawrence of Arabia

My wife had never seen it before. So the first time she's sees it is in the 70MM format on that gigantic screen! I was so jealous!

2001: A Space Odyssey

Not to spoil the film, but at one part there is an extremely loud noise. Again my wife had not seen the film. So I decided not to tell her. She punched me in the shoulder and asked, "why didn't tell me?" Or something like that.

Last month it's playing again and her sister and daughter want to see it. So we both decide not to tell them about it. What a little hypocrite! The projectionist came out of the booth just to watch the crowd's reaction.

Also I've seen Seattle Symphony do Psycho.

Now back to the topic.

Patton

Bullitt

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Once Upon a Time in the West

Ran

The Black Stallion

Seattle Symphony do The Wizard Of Oz
Sounds like here... the Cinemark Theatres are doing their "Classic Film Series".... One classic film shown 2 times a week.

Alloy Orchestra?
It was several years ago, but I think Phantom was accompanied by Alloy. It was at the Maryland Institute College of Art and they had a recently restored print with the original 1925 colorized sequences. The Phantom's cape was bright red in a couple minutes of film, apparently painted in by people doing frame-by-frame painting with tiny, little brushes on the actual film (back in 1925). Another sequence was in primitive Kodachrome with black, white, brown and yellow.

Could we make it a hypothetical movie theater that we own with a full weekend to cram some favs in. Say the theater is your ten thousand foot bedroom and you've invited all your pals over for a weekend sleepover, tons of booze, food, whatever is your poison as the film rolls: Citizen Kane, Third Man, The Exorcist, Apocalypse Now, French Connection, Duel, Star Wars, God Father 1,2, The Wall, Tommy, Predator, First Blood, ah where does one stop? Now that's what I'd do if I was a millionaire.
Man it thrills the imagination. We are all here because movies are like Roman colliseum for us and we can go anywhere in history, past, present, future, any parallel world and science fiction hypothesis. But there 's no movies on the big canvas without popcorn. Romans had bread and circus, we have more resources.

Man it thrills the imagination. We are all here because movies are like Roman colliseum for us and we can go anywhere in history, past, present, future, any parallel world and science fiction hypothesis. But there 's no movies on the big canvas without popcorn. Romans had bread and circus, we have more resources.
Amen to that.