Books

Tools    

Yeah Jane Eyre--I've seen all the TV movies. Must be 15 of versions of Jane Eyre alone. And PRIDE and PREJUDICE, EMMA and WUTHERING HEIGHTS. I've read them all but I like them better on BBC TV. ROCHESTER and HEATHCLIFF--so romantic and sinister! Jane Austen--HooHah!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Anne
The Lord of the Ring[/i] series, and the Harry Potter series just to name a few...

This otta make TWT's day.

Ive seen all the pride & Prejudices. I think Laurence olivier was probably the most amazin looking, although David Rintoul was real cool too. Colin Firth is the most human Darcy but Jenny Ehle was HOT!!

The worst Jane Eyre was the George c Scott one. What a disaster! Its too dark to see the actors most of the time, Jane was too old & too prettyish & George C Scott sounded just like patton.

Originally posted by PigsnieLite
Ive seen all the pride & Prejudices. I think Laurence olivier was probably the most amazin looking, although David Rintoul was real cool too. Colin Firth is the most human Darcy but Jenny Ehle was HOT!!
I definately like the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version the best. They were so true to the book and picked up on all of Jane Austin's humor that usually goes unnoticed in film adaptations of her books...What was it about Jennifer Ehle? The fact that she's practically spilling out of her dress? *shakes head* Boys *shakes head*
[Edited by Anne on 10-01-2001]

Everybody in Pride & prejudice was spillin out of their dresses, even the mother. I think Jennifer Ehle has a beautiful merry face, thats what was so special about her. At least thats what Pigsnie says. And Her dark wig helped too becuz Ive seen her in real life & she looks nuthin like Elisabeth Bennet. She has light brown hair, not thick at all.

I agree, she does have a very "merry" face. I like that description.

I just bought the new Stephen King/Peter Straub collaboration "Black House". I'll let y'all know if it's any good.

PLite, I'll be on the lookout for demon thingies

Rock God
i never really got into the bronte's that much, myself. although i did like jane eyre a lot. did i spell that right? anyway, i don't think this has come up on this thread, but does anyone like dickens? i know a teacher that idol worshipped him. i think he had his hits and misses, mostly the only downside is the fact that his books were so longwinded and unnecesarrily complicated. he apparently had very little sense of brevity. i mean oliver twist had what, 90 characters, maybe? it's incredible. but his stories were always really good, and the characterization is very good, also. does anyone else like his work?

To be honest, the only Dickens works I've read are A Tale of Two Cities and A Christmas Carol. But I really liked both of them. I thought A Tale of Two Cities was especially good. The whole tone of the second half of the book was downright scary. Citizen?! I can think of nothing scarrier than walking down the street and having everyone call me Citizen Anne. Seriously. But then, I think the French Revolution is the scarriest event in all of history. Anyway, it's interesting that you asked about Dickens because I was just thinking about how much I liked this book today. "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known." Simply amazing.

Rock God
cool... a tale of two cities is largely considered to be one of literature's finest works. you should do yourself a favor and check out oliver twist, though. it's very good. that whole dickensian vision of the bleak working class is personified so well in this book. and it's seen through the eyes of a child, which makes it even sadder. not the happiest thing you'll ever read, i'm sure, but it's such a good story.

Thanks, Brodie. I'll check that out.

Rock God
awesome. you'll enjoy it, i'm sure. like i said, it's got a slew of characters, so *wink, wink* cheat and grab the cliffnotes... hee hee.... you might get lost a time or two, i did.

Next by Michael Crichton was a bit refreshing and scary. I see hints in today's news...is he a prophet?

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...e-window-22000

The most difficult demand on my ability to finish a decent book certainly came with Tolstoy's "War and Peace." It's so complicated, in fact, that I'm prepared to suggest that most for whom have wandered past its end - even so-called experts for example - have greatly misunderstood the moral code for which molded its mark upon the world of literature. This is a tough time, indeed, folks. I'm also fascinated by the following its been able to sustain through the years; not so much the following itself, but rather the inadamant interpretation by the followers themselves.