Skepsis' Top 50

→ in
Tools    

#18: Lars and the Real Girl (Craig Gillespie, 2007)

From my review:

Perhaps the most amazing thing about it is that it manages this feat all on a premise that on first hearing, sounds 100% ridiculous. One reviewer before me remarked that, "it's nothing less than a miracle that [the filmmakers] have been able to make such an endearing, intelligent and tender comedy from a premise that, in other hands, might sustain a five-minute sketch on TV". To me, this is completely on the nose and indeed nothing short of a miracle.

In a role seemingly built for him, Ryan Gosling once again impresses as the cripplingly shy but incredibly kindly Lars, who develops a unique relationship with a doll, "Bianca", whom he orders off the internet. As his family and the inhabitants of his small town get to grips with his delusion, we see a story unfold that is a tribute to human kindness, tolerance and a willingness to sacrifice to help another - positive attributes seemingly lacking both in modern film and society at large. But I honestly felt as if I was watching something real here.

#17: Pleasantville (Gary Ross, 1998)

Possibly the most fun ever dedicated to a screen. Well acted from Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon in the lead roles right down to smaller players, the cinematography effortlessly capturing the 1950's feel down to a tee, the quirky set pieces and ingenious use of selective colour really bringing the film together to create one near-perfect piece of entertainment.

#16: The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

Subtle, slow-moving yet utterly engrossing, The Assassination of Jesse James is a masterful modern western featuring, in my opinion, one of the greatest supporting performances of the last decade - Casey Affleck's Robert Ford - as well as stellar performances from the rest of the cast including Pitt, Sam Rockwell, Paul Schneider and Jeremy Renner. Enrapturing from every angle - historically and aesthetically as well as being supremely entertaining.

#15: Amelie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)

A perfectly heart-warming, life affirming journey through a classic romance, punctuated by moments of genuine individuality. The quaint French setting, unique characters and stunningly bold and beautiful cinematography make Amelie an absolute must-see.

Two good choices, Skepsis. I've only seen TAOJJBTCRF once, but I thought it looked beautiful and it, just about, kept my attention for the duration. Amelie is just a wonderful film.

The tie in this entry is not because I couldn't choose between the two movies. After watching a currently unnamed, previously unaccounted for film recently, I decided I wanted it to go above these three in the rankings. Purely logistical decision. So essentially it's now a top 51.

#14: 500 Days of Summer (Marc Webb, 2009)

A romantic comedy at heart, but done in such a unique way it's hard to call it that. Quirky, funny, warm and emotional, a real surprise - don't be put off by first impressions.

Lost In Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003)

One of the most subtly beautiful films I have ever seen. A unique atmosphere, created with combination of the entrancing Japanese setting, the performances of the two leads and the extraordinary script. It's not an eventful movie - what you get instead is the opportunity to share a part of the genuine and essential relationship the characters experience.

#13: Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky, 2010)

A supreme thriller with supreme performances. Masterful editing and cinematography put the cherry on top, with Natalie Portman deservedly taking home the Best Supporting Actress Academy Award, but for my money, it was the best film of last year.

BANNED

#13: Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky, 2010)

A supreme thriller with supreme performances. Masterful editing and cinematography put the cherry on top, with Natalie Portman deservedly taking home the Best Supporting Actress Academy Award, but for my money, it was the best film of last year.
:dow n:

Black Swan is fantastic! Before that i thought how on earth am i going to like a film about ballet? But then, i was totally blown away by it! And yes, it's definitely better than that Inception (which was horrible).

Black Swan is fantastic! Before that i thought how on earth am i going to like a film about ballet? But then, i was totally blown away by it! And yes, it's definitely better than that Inception (which was horrible).
It's not really about ballet, in a literal sense, is it? The dancing is more of a vehicle for the important stuff.