Drugs Debate

Tools    

That photo makes him look like he's, um, reaching a, uh....climax.

I read the same thing today [granted, not it a English paper]. It makes me sick -- we're a nation of convicts founded by drug addicts.

gone
I think you're misunderstanding me: the have bigger fish to fry. That doesn't mean they don't know about it, it means that they have bigger things to worry about than a few people smoking pot
But dooooood, 40, 000 people, lets say 10,000 were carrying an 1/8th,at least, are you saying that's small?

Lets say it straight out then: The average clubber was carrying 4 ecstacy pills, it's a 14 hour event from 7pm - 9am and people needed to pace themselves so they could keep going all night, needless to say from 7-10 it's most likely they would just smoke their joints and hang around, but then there were the hardcore people who also had their cocaine and probably under 500 had acid. To make sure people were in enough supply there were dealers there exploiting the occassion charing roughly £20 a pill rather than the usual £5-£8, but what if there had been large drug busts? then that would mess the event up, people are going there because they want to do their drugs. however had the drugs been confiscated, don't you think the accumulative amount would have far exceeded that that would be defined as " a few people smoking pot" This is also ommiting the Ketamine groups, how many people took speed just to have the energy to stay through the night etc.

At last year's new years event the ministry of sound had a large pill that came down and exploded into fireworks. Let's see, that's not endorsing/exploiting/capitalizing on drug culture is it.

I read the same thing today [granted, not it a English paper]. It makes me sick -- we're a nation of convicts founded by drug addicts.
That's a good thing, be proud.

But dooooood, 40, 000 people, lets say 10,000 were carrying an 1/8th,at least, are you saying that's small?
In terms of drugs? No. In terms of other crimes, such as murder and rape? Uh, yes.

At last year's new years event the ministry of sound had a large pill that came down and exploded into fireworks. Let's see, that's not endorsing/exploiting/capitalizing on drug culture is it.
I don't see your point: am I obligated to defend the actions of these people or something?

Look the point is increase in public spending at this time (going into recession) is good. That's what this educational system has taught me, I even looked it up in last years economics text book just to confirm I wasn't talking crap myself
No offense, but it's that kind of thinking that sends us into recessions in the first place. How do you think we GOT into this recession? Too much government spending, and not enough of the public putting its own money to use. The eductional system teaches a lot of things -- don't you have a problem called D.A.R.E. in your country that teaches you how bad drugs and cigarettes and alcohol are? We've got that out here.

Government is here to do what is necessary, and little to nothing else: military, basic road creation and maintenance, police and fireman, etc. Anything more is none of the government's d*mn business.

gone
I got a T-Shirt that says D.A.R.E - Drugs Are Really Excellent.

I now get that it's a pun. Hey it's quite funny.

In terms of drugs? No. In terms of other crimes, such as murder and rape? Uh, yes
I have no idea what you mean by that, there was no rape or murder there!?!? There was a bad tube journey afterwards though! That's a crime initself!

I don't see your point: am I obligated to defend the actions of these people or something?
My point is nothing endorsing drugs or drug culture, I'm saying that it's not going to leave society cause it's a money maker as well as a life waster. I was hinting at Toose's earlier point, and he said it.

Britain had nothing to do with war on terrorism or afghanistan, we have had the IRA as a problem since oh so long ago, yet did we ever take serious action? no, but now we want to go to Afghanistan, we want America to at least let us use our troops and now leading the rebuilding of Afghanistan, why ? it's all public money? because we're going into recession and at this point investment is cheap, so lets invest in Afghanistan.

You know what, after typing all that I wish I didn't but as I have already done it I might as well post it.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Government is here to do what is necessary, and little to nothing else: military, basic road creation and maintenance, police and fireman, etc. Anything more is none of the government's d*mn business.
Hallelujah brother!

Stay the fark out of my life!

gone
Originally posted by Toose

Stay the fark out of my life!
Wishful thinking! They even give us incentives to stay married and tell us how to raise our kids!

Police officers come round every year to tell us we will go mad and be jailed for life if we take a tug on a joint and that we will day at the sight of a pill.

I've tried different drugs, but I don't use them too often and I definitely wouldn't want to make a habit of any of them. During the summer I was much more into them...I haven't used anything since around September except for cigarettes (which I go through daily like they're candy.)

I am for treating addiction, not punishing the addicts. I think it's wrong to throw someone in jail for being under the influence of drugs. I hate the idea that someone can get in trouble with the law for hurting only themselves. I think it's a violation of rights, among other things. I mean, if someone hurts somebody else, then yeah, punish them, but to lock somebody away just for taking drugs is wrong.

I agree with TWT about marijuana. Worry about treating addiction, and stopping the corruption, and other more dangerous substances, instead of "cracking down" on a bunch of potheads. I don't know where I stand on marijuana. I've tried it, it's fun and all, but I'm not all about smoking it every day like some people I know. It's a matter of individual choice.

I don't like beer or other hard liquor. Makes me sick.

I dunno, it depends on the circumstances under which they're using them. A drive driving drunk, even if he doesn't hit anyone, should definitely be punished, and not just treated, IMO. Not severely, but more than a slap on the wrist. If someone uses drugs in their own home, is caught for some reason, and wasn't even mildly putting anyone else in any form of danger, then yeah, I think treatment is the way to go. I think jail is more appropriate for, say, dealers...people who are making these things far too accessible. Not for 20 something potheads.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
I dunno, it depends on the circumstances under which they're using them. A drive driving drunk, even if he doesn't hit anyone, should definitely be punished, and not just treated, IMO. Not severely, but more than a slap on the wrist. If someone uses drugs in their own home, is caught for some reason, and wasn't even mildly putting anyone else in any form of danger, then yeah, I think treatment is the way to go. I think jail is more appropriate for, say, dealers...people who are making these things far too accessible. Not for 20 something potheads.
If someone drives drunk, yes, put them away. I'm 100% against putting others' lives in danger - that warrants punishment. But if someone is just using drugs, or is caught with drugs, and isn't doing any harm to anybody, it seems foolish (not to mention a violation of personal rights) to punish them.

Addicts need help. Drugs themselves don't create crime, addiction does. If an addict can't get drugs, he begins to resort to crime, and possibly violence to obtain the money to buy them. The entire system of punishing someone for their addiction is stupid, because it fuels the cycle. If you throw someone in jail instead of trying to help them, they'll feel even more dejected, which could be why they started using in the first place. The United States' drug laws are silly, I think - in Amsterdam, where most drugs are legal, drug-related crime is nonexistent (and since brothels are legal too, the number of rapes is nearly nonexistent as well)

Damn, I nearly agreed with that post -- 'til the end. I don't think drugs should be legalized...but yes, treatment needs to be stepped up. I also wouldn't have a hissy fit if marijuana was legalized. As for prostitution: I honestly don't know what I think about that. Now, it will happen anyway, but that doesn't make it right. I guess I'd say that the benefits are "cleaning it up" a bit...being a legit business (in the eyes of the law, at least), prostitutes would likely get into less trouble...have less diseases, etc, than they do now.

From a secularl standpoint, it makes sense to legalize it. Morally and religiously, though, I think it's a very degrading thing that should be discouraged in most every way possible...so I'm a tad conflicted about it.

do anti-drug laws stem from our system of morals?- don't kill, don't steal, don't self-destruct and take your family down with you because of a drug abuse problem?

it's definitely kinda crazy that we can be arrested for shmokin' a joint- yet alcohol is legal (for people who reach the magical age deemed "adult" enough to drink responsibly!)
i know a couple of people who have wreaked havoc on everyone around them because of raging alcoholism.

i think alcohol is much more dangerous than pot, but i wouldn't necessarily call for pot and other drugs to be made legal.
if drugs were all legal and sold like alcohol, what would the world be like?

gone
drugs and religion are the same thing.

can't seperate the two.

gone
"Religion is the opium for the masses"

one and the same

(what does heaven promise you?)

Bliss.

But at the same time, not a chemically heightened conscieness kind of Bliss.

You twat.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by goodf3lla
"Religion is the opium for the masses"

one and the same

(what does heaven promise you?)
Oh...gee...where to start?

gone
How can you have the high without the crash?

How many people on the board believe in god? not debate, just general question to see if there's some kind of correlation, i believe religions teach a lot of healthy morals...

How can something always be good, you have to know what bad is to appreciate what good is, if heaven is eternal bliss then you need to experience hell too...

i can't make my point clearly, i'm on drugs HAHAHA (screaming out while pulling pants down exposing bare cheeks)

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by goodf3lla
How many people on the board believe in god? not debate, just general question to see if there's some kind of correlation, i believe religions teach a lot of healthy morals...

Believing in God, and being "religious"...are two separate things, for me. I believe in God, I know T and Toose and Spud, do. Thmmie too. As for the rest, I don't know.

There's a heap of Religion posts already.
Go have a look. It'll bring you up to scratch.

gone
nah my family are religious, i'm in no way going to get myself involved with any religious people religious arguments or anyone who disagrees with me about how the earth is a bubble in a can of coke being drunk by clock handles pointing to 7:27 pm, which is everyone, so I think I'm trying to say is i'm in no way going to get myself involved with any religious people religious arguments or anyone who disagrees with me about how the earth is a bubble in a can of coke being drunk by clock handles pointing to 7:27 pm, which is everyone.

Did I just say that twice? Blimey I think consistently.