2008/2009 Major Critics Awards

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
OK, the Academy came up with their shortlist for Best Foreign Language film, and who would have thunk it? Controversy strikes again! Omitted films include Gomorra, A Christmas Tale, Edge of Heaven and MoFo's personal fave, the previously-disqualified Let the Right One In. The Swedish vampire film was not submitted by the country as their official entry, but some believe that it's because it was released after September 30, the cutoff date for these foreign language film nominations. If that's true, it may get nominated next year (don't count on it). These are the actual ones who are able to take the final five spots:

Austria, Revanche (Gotz Spielmann, director)
Canada, The Necessities of Life (Benoit Pilon, director)
France, The Class (Laurent Cantet, director)
Germany, The Baader Meinhof Complex (Uli Edel, director)
Israel, Waltz with Bashir (Ari Folman, director)
Japan, Departures (Yojiro Takita, director)
Mexico, Tear This Heart Out (Roberto Sneider, director)
Sweden, Everlasting Moments (Jan Troell, director)
Turkey, 3 Monkeys (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, director)

Waltz with Bashir looks interesting and I always pull for my fellow Canuckers, but to be honest, in my opinion the Aacdemy slacks even more in the Foreign Language category than the Best Picture or Best Director.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Would would be your picks? I don't think I've seen any best of 2008 lists by you...Imma curious...
Don't have any yet -- think I mentioned in another thread that I'm kind of behind on some of the "usual suspects" -- IE: the films on most people's lists. So I figure I'd better wait until I've caught a few more before making any best of lists. Hopefully I'll catch up in the next 2-3 weeks.

OK, the Academy came up with their shortlist for Best Foreign Language film, and who would have thunk it? Controversy strikes again! Omitted films include Gomorra, A Christmas Tale, Edge of Heaven and MoFo's personal fave, the previously-disqualified Let the Right One In. The Swedish vampire film was not submitted by the country as their official entry, but some believe that it's because it was released after September 30, the cutoff date for these foreign language film nominations. If that's true, it may get nominated next year (don't count on it). These are the actual ones who are able to take the final five spots:

Austria, Revanche (Gotz Spielmann, director)
Canada, The Necessities of Life (Benoit Pilon, director)
France, The Class (Laurent Cantet, director)
Germany, The Baader Meinhof Complex (Uli Edel, director)
Israel, Waltz with Bashir (Ari Folman, director)
Japan, Departures (Yojiro Takita, director)
Mexico, Tear This Heart Out (Roberto Sneider, director)
Sweden, Everlasting Moments (Jan Troell, director)
Turkey, 3 Monkeys (Nuri Bilge Ceylan, director)
Well that kind of blows... Waltz with Bashir should waltz away with the award then. Get it? Waltz away with it? I'm so clever.

From EW.com...

The British Academy of Film and Television Arts announced their nominations today, anointing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Slumdog Millionaire with 11 nods each. The Dark Knight and Changeling were the runners-up with nine and eight nominations, respectively, though neither film was cited in the Best Film category (Frost/Nixon, Milk, and The Reader scored the other three slots instead). Here are a few other results I found interesting.

1. Slumdog star Dev Patel landed in the lead actor race alongside heavyweights Sean Penn, Mickey Rourke, Brad Pitt, and Frank Langella. In this country, his campaign has been in the supporting category.

2. Kate Winslet earned two lead actress nods, for Revolutionary Road and The Reader. The Oscars don't allow actors to receive multiple nominations in the same category.

3. Doubt stars Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams all won nominations, but their scene-stealing costar Viola Davis was overlooked, and the film earned no other nominations at all.

4. Two actresses considered strong Oscar contenders for Best Actress -- Anne Hathaway and Sally Hawkins -- were both snubbed. Word is that UK audiences didn't warm to Happy-Go-Lucky like American critics have.

Anne Hathaway was indeed eligible for the BAFTA. If you look at the longlists of 15 semifinalists that were announced a few weeks ago, you'll see that she was on that list. Gran Torino, however, was not eligible this year.

Here are all the important BAFTA nominees:

BEST FILM
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
FROST/NIXON
MILK
THE READER
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM
HUNGER
IN BRUGES
MAMMA MIA!
MAN ON WIRE