Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Despicable Me (2010)

Enjoyable cartoon.

Shame (2011)

Very interesting character study. It discovers the dark sides of a sexual addict. When his sister moves in, his privacy gets interrupted and he starts losing it. Another interesting factor of the story is that his sister is an insecure and intable girl with suicide issues in the past.
It all unravels in a slow paced, stylish film that doesn't shy away from explicit nudity to show the real soul of its main character.

It works.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

This kind of films just makes you feel good! It's a wonderful animation with a very cute , yet self-willed little girl (Mei) and her more responsible, yet also playful older sister (Satsuki) as the main characters.
It sketches their new environment after they moved and the good relationship with their nice dad, who has to work in the big city to support them and their ill mother, who lives at a hospital.
We see Mei struggle with the fact that she's 'alone' when her sister is at school and we see Satsuki struggle with her many responsibilities at such young age.
Luckily they have the aid of Totoro, a forest spirit that helps them get through their more difficult situations. Miyazaki tells it all very soft and light hearted and with very warm animation so it is enjoyable for young and old!

Great picture!

Once Upon a Time in the West

For me, a 5/5 rating, or a 10/10 means the movie is flawless and I consider it to be a masterpiece. A 4.5/5, or a 9/10 means the movie is excellent, and I would also include it in my "favourite movies" list.

I would include this movie in my "good movies" list, therefore, I rate it 4/5, or 8/10. I loved the music (I love Morricone), the acting and the camera work were also superb, however I must admit that the movie felt a little long to me. I watched the original version (2 hours and 45 minutes), and QT's Django to me seemed like an hour shorter, despite the fact that it runs for the same amount of time, while this one felt maybe a little longer than it was. Good movie, and I'm really glad I saw it.

The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)

This film had a lot of great characters, but how AWESOME was Gwyneth Paltrow? She was absolutely gorgeous in this flick!

She was neurotic, cold, vain and yet very emotional and funny at the same time. I loved her character and her performance very much!
The rest of the cast was also top-notch and the film also had some stunning cinematography.

It was a very nice experience and I'll surely rewatch this in the future.

Argo: 8/10 - Very well made film that contained a lot of suspence, especially towards the end.

The Searchers: 10/10 One of John Ford's best and among the best westerns ever made!

I watched three films today:

Kung Fu Panda (2008)

I already saw the sequel two years ago and when I saw the first one was on TV, I recorded it and I watched it today. It's nothing special. It had some visual interesting scenes, but that's it. It was still worth the watch, though.

Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

I was in the animation mood, so I watched another film from Miyazaki and (again) he didn't disappoint! I just love the atmosphere he creates in his pictures. This one gave me a certain feeling of "freedom".
I also loved the comparison between flying and creative thinking. That part was very recognizable for me and I liked the way he approached that subject. I also liked the strong satire he used in several scenes!

Donnie Darko (2001)

It's essentially just another time travel movie without any logical plot or meaning at all (unless it means that life is completely pointless), but it's done in such a great way and told with such interesting events that you cannot be unmoved by this film. The great performance of Jake Gyllenhaal is also crucial to this film's succes. He really nailed the character of Donnie Darko. I can't imagine anyone else doing it better than he did.

The Searchers: 10/10 One of John Ford's best and among the best westerns ever made!
Brilliant film, yet the book is even better. Best I've ever read. Simply stunning.

Fortress (1985) - 6/10, docked two stars for the gruesome ending, and one more for a teacher stripping in front of her male student (!) then giving him the "liked what you saw?" look (!!), otherwise 9/10 for entertainment.

Eraserhead

I don't like to drop 5's on films I've only seen once. Give this a few years and some rewatches and I think I'll bump it up. Horrific, thought-provoking, surreal, and poignant film about - I think - sexual frustration and naivete, among other things.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I went to the movies and watched Warm Bodies, I watched it more because I was bored than anything else, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the film.

La cité de la peur :
French & stupid comedy about Cannes festival, i give him 7/10 because he make me laughting, event after 10 watching !