Relaxing Voices

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yes I agree, Lady. People can think whatever they want of him but it cant be denied he is an excellent orator. As much as I dislike Oprah, so is she.

Peter Coyote - he's got a great voice, he sometimes sounds a bit like Henry Fonda.

]

OMG I'm sorry for disagreeing with you in a non controversial thread, Cap, but I cant handle his voice. He really turned me off the otherwise excellent Vietnam War doco series.

OMG I'm sorry for disagreeing with you in a non controversial thread, Cap, but I cant handle his voice. He really turned me off the otherwise excellent Vietnam War doco series.
What about it bothers you? Too gravelly? Too soft? Too soft & gravelly at the same time? Has a slightly strained sound?

What I like about it is probably a combination of his accent and the tone. (I can't even place his accent - mid-wester? north-western? Appalachian? I just looked him up and see he was born in New York... go figure!)
And I like how he sounds like Henry Fonda - who had a unique voice.

Of course, I have quite the list of speaking voices I really like. But I won't rattle them off. I'll just drop a couple one at a time...

Ciarán Hinds is way on top there somewhere.

What about it bothers you? Too gravelly? Too soft? Too soft & gravelly at the same time? Has a slightly strained sound?

What I like about it is probably a combination of his accent and the tone. (I can't even place his accent - mid-wester? north-western? Appalachian? I just looked him up and see he was born in New York... go figure!)
And I like how he sounds like Henry Fonda - who had a unique voice.
Dont get me wrong, I love him as an actor, I just cant handle his voice over in the documentary. He chooses a straight out monotone. Might be the drugs I'm on at the moment as well so I'll give it that. It would either send me to sleep or agitate me. It;s the monotone, not the accent. He has a really nice non descript regional accent to me.

This might just do nobody any good.
Ciarán Hinds is way on top there somewhere.
Love Ciaran. Envy the Irish.

Love Ciaran. Envy the Irish.
And the Scottish. I think their accents are so awesome even those with less attractive vocal timbres can get away with just about anything. One of their best is Rory McCann. Oh my god, his voice.

Mike Rowe

I've grown to love his narration on How the Universe Works to the point where I almost can't listen to the episodes before he started narrating because they can't compare.

I was a fan of Mike's show Dirty Jobs - a unique premise that was always fascinating and informative, yet it was Mike's work as host that made every episode funny!

This might just do nobody any good.
Speaking (heh) of Game of Thrones (and Scotsmen): Iain Glen. There’s a distinctive voice.

I’d also put up Richard Dormer, aka Beric Dondarrion.

Oh, and Liam Cunningham! “She’s a mother of DEEMONS!”

Yes I agree, Lady. People can think whatever they want of him but it cant be denied he is an excellent orator. As much as I dislike Oprah, so is she.
Lmao - no fan of Oprah, Dani8? Me too- I don 't actually Dislike her, I just don 't really like her either. Never got the appeal.

Here 's an oldie whose voice I adored, Richard Basehart. He never became a really big star, and was known better for being admiral on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea than the fine acting job he did as The Fool in La Strada. But that strong and smooth baritone-! - what a pleasure.

Lmao - no fan of Oprah, Dani8? Me too- I don 't actually Dislike her, I just don 't really like her either. Never got the appeal. .
She makes me want to punch a wall, Lady.

Let's just say an american friend several years a go was a first class stewardess with a particular airline and used to get her as a regular passenger (with all of Oprah's money she doesnt have her own jet? Maybe she is trying to be seen as conserving her footprint, like the times she leaves on all the lights in that enormous mansion of hers where she lives on her own (and probably an entourage of 100). She told me some delightful stories. Bless Oprah's socks. Yes I know it was just one side of the story but the stories just kept coming week after week.

I d love to hear a few, Dani8; I love these behind the scenes stories( even tho as you say, it just shows a small glimpse or moment of how a person is) . I have a pal in New Orleans who met Dr Phil , and said he just oozed pride in his money- fancy car , fancy clothes and just had a self proclaimed and self ordained regal air. Hot air - if ya ask me lol

Well I m off to my concert now, but I think I ll have a. bit of free time to chat tonite during the Super Bowl- how long is that game anyway - 50 hours? Seems even longer🙄

I d love to hear a few, Dani8; I love these behind the scenes stories( even tho as you say, it just shows a small glimpse or moment of how a person is) . I have a pal in New Orleans who met Dr Phil , and said he just oozed pride in his money- fancy car , fancy clothes and just had a self proclaimed and self ordained regal air. Hot air - if ya ask me lol

Well I m off to my concert now, but I think I ll have a. bit of free time to chat tonite during the Super Bowl- how long is that game anyway - 50 hours? Seems even longer🙄
Lady, the stories would curl your hair. It's how my hair got so curly. When ever I see her on tv now I think of my friend and shake my head. Still, I think she is an incredibly powerful speaker. America, next time you guys wanna go to war, just call up Ms Winfrey. Seriously!

Hey cool. What time does superbowel start? Lets synchronise our watches. I relly need to see the mofo commentary on the superbowel ads.

Oh yeah Dr Phil, he's another one I cannot stand. Infact I loathe him with a passion.

But as far as actresses , I find Kristen Scott Thomas ' voice soothing, I haven t yet seen her in the Churchill movie, but she was pleasantly calming in Random Hearts.
I saw a bit of that the other day and I have seen it but I'm more familiar with her other films around the same time. She's another of my favourites – I wonder how her voice comes over in French ?

And I agree that Brit, Scot and Irish accents have a becalming charm. (Thomas a Brit, I know)
Don't forget the Welsh whatever you do .

Hmm, Elrond, Thranduil and Galadriel have go on to play Marvel villains. Tauriel a heroine.

Oh, and Arwen was in the Ed Norton Hulk.
I saw a chunk of V for Vendetta last week and it really hit me how incredible Hugo Weaving's voice is. Versatile and with phenomenal power – Cate Blanchett is like that too.

I was thinking about Weaving as Elrond and Agent Smith but it was probably his being completely disguised as V that made me concentrate on it so much. Funny enough his voice doesn't strike me as much with Megatron but then he isn't physically present for that role.