Favorite Romance Movies...i.e."chick flicks"

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
How about Lady Flick???
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Female assassin extraordinaire.
patti, uma's name comes from the orient ... her father and his buddhist ways, or whatnot, he named her that from some deity or somesuch over in india, or somethin', so I don't think it means horse (in the language they picked it from). they said once on some biography show on her and i'm sure it's been said in mags, but horse is not what I recall it meaning ...

hmm....

-Most Cary Grant + Feisty Female movies (Hepburn, etc - but not Grace Kelly, not that To Catch a Thief one, blech - and i esp like the ones where the chick talks a lotta smack to him and he talks it back)
-All Duo Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers Movies
-Now, Voyager - Not necessarily for the romance with the married dude but just because she transforms from a nunny spinster into a mysterious diva - total Lifetime Channel melodrama!
-City of Angels - i bought this movie and it is still in it's plastic wrap for the simple fact of how much it hurt me when I watched it when it first came out. that movie made me bawl.
-Vertigo
-Jane Eyre - the book gets me every time
-

in general i prefer romantic comedies cuz the tragedies obviously get to be emotionally trying. i come out like damaged goods that survived the most painful epic dramas. better to laugh when people needle one another and rile up each other's sex drives.

If you were actually moved by City of Angels (*BLECH*), track down the original German film, Wings of Desire (1987 - Wim Wenders). It is sooooo much better than the Americanized re-make. Really, it's well worth finding.

Wenders also made a very interesting sequel called Faraway, So Close (1993). For me, both films are vastly superior to City of Angels. Vastly.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Wow...I had no idea that City of Angels was a remake(poorly) of another movie. Nice little tidbit there Holden.

Those two movies would be very hard to track down around where I live.

Now With Moveable Parts
I was totally touched by City of Angels, the only part I didn't like, was the end. It really sucked.

i admit CoA (hehe) wasn't so great filmwise but it was the subject matter that moved me more than anything else. loss, longing, desire, godly irony, etc. the ending was entirely ... destined, but stupid. the way so much of our lives are.

yeah i've seen wings of desire on the foreign film shelf forever and have yet to pick it up. that and la lectrice.

Patti -

How on earth can you possibly put JANE EYRE as a choice and then go and diss GOOD WILL HUNTING? First of all, Jane Eyre is one of my favorite novels, so it's not like i'm predisposed to disliking the film version. Furthermore, Orson Welles rocks everything. But, the way that this film hardly even scrapes the surface of all that is important thematically in Jane Eyre is nothing short of tragic! They cut out almost the ENTIRE third volume of the novel, not to mention the fact that they change things, important things...GOOD WILL HUNTING was a satisfactory original film - it was heartfelt and tender. I liked it a lot.

dillane, i don't say "bleck" to "Good Will Hunting", rather to Matt Damon...he is the central character and so my dislike for him pollutes my impression of the film. hey, i wouldn't knowingly upset a patriot fan of Jane Eyre/Charlotte Bronte or Orson Welles!!! especially the latter. i loooooooovve him. Jane Eyre is my fave especially the scene where he confesses his love for her...the quote is hanging right by my computer. me thinketh my ribs want to be tied to someone like orsons "corresponding" rib...."and if we should be parted, i would take to bleeding inwardly". ahhhhhhhhhhh
and dillane, Jane Eyre (the film) just so touches my soul. i wasn't specifically putting it above any other film so much as raving about a personal favorite. i would be much more fond of Good Will Hunting if the two romantic leads were re-cast....no offense to any "good will" fans....it's just a personal thing with me. i like minnie driver in earlier films- especially Cirlce of Friends. Damon isn't a poor actor....i just find him really unappealing visually.
k?

thmilin, it was silly of me to call Uma "horse" thurman. i just remember hearing that the word "uma" meant "horse", but not specifically uma's name origin. i was just funnin'. i love "biographies", don't you?

and holden, i, too, hadn't realized That City of Angels was some sort of americanized remake of On the Wings Of Desire (which happens to be another one of my favorites.) i would rather see and judge City of Angels on it's own- free and clear of any comparison to Wenders creation ( and the ending WAS a crime!). i liked City of Angels, but i looooved On the Wings Of Desire. and as a side note, Peter Falk rules.

Peter Falk does, indeed, rule.

Have you ever seen him in the films he did with Cassavetes, most especially Husbands (1970) and A Woman Under the Influence (1974)? Amazing stuff, some of the best dramatic acting of the past fifty years. And the comic timing and sparring with Alan Arkin (who also rules, by the by) in The In-Laws (1979) is some of the fall-down funniest stuff you'll ever see. And Murder by Death and The Cheap Detective and Made and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and heck, he's even hysterical in Vibes. And no, I'm not forgetting The Princess Bride. And he's just so damn good in Wings of Desire.

The man is so much more than Columbo (which is a great character), but he's so rarely appreciated for it.

hi...... had to come back and write the Jane Eyre quote in it's entirety 'cause it's so gooood....
mr. rochester to jane:

"let us sit here in peace, eventhough we shall be destined never to sit here again. ...sometimes i have a queer feeling with regard to you jane-- especially when you are near me as now. ....as if i had a string somewhere under my left rib, tightly and inextricably knotted to a similar string situated in a corresponding corner of your little frame.....and if we should be parted, that core of communion would be snapped. i have a nervous notion i should take to bleeding inwardly. .........as for you, you would forget me."

now isn't that amazingly romantic?? ahhhhhhhh

I love Peter Falk

The first certifed crazy person's comedy

The In-Laws 1979

This comedy has everything a comedy should have. It has mayham, some tongue in cheek,action, good acting in the two main roles and a breakneak pace.It's directed by Arthur
Hiller who always puts out worthy effort.
Peter Falk play an ex C.I.A. operative who has a son who is going to marry Arkin's daughter When they met Falk decides to yous father (Arkin) to help him with some undercover stuff which just happens to be very dangerous but Arkin goes along for the rollercoaster ride just so he can get Falk of his back and
get back to his dentist practice.

This is one of those films you can just sit down and enjoy what it has to offer it's got a couple car chases,foot chases, shoting in the middle of new york ,crazy dialogue and if you like the pairing between Falk and Arkin like I do than John Cassavettes Big Trouble is another great film starring the two main leads.

Classic quatoes and lines

[After a harrowing cab ride.]
Sheldon: Did we hit the little boy on Sixth Avenue?
Vince: No, we missed him by a good foot and a half.

Vince: Just go with the flow, Shel, just go with the flow.
Sheldon: What flow? There isn't any flow.

Sheldon Kornpett: There's no reason to shoot at me, I'm a dentist.

Shelly: You were involved in the Bay of Pigs?
Vince: Involved? That was my idea.

Vince Ricardo: I was in the jungle - the bush we called it - for approximately nine months...
Sheldon Kornpett: Nine months! That must have really been something!
Vince Ricardo: It was. I saw things... They have tsetse flies down there the size of eagles.

[On working for the CIA]
Vince Ricardo: Are you interested in joining? The benefits are terrific. The trick is not to get killed. That's really the key to the benefit program.

Vince Ricardo: Serpentine Shelly. Serpentine!

hey holden - nice to hear more accolades for Peter Falk....i have a photo of him in one of his movie trailers from a story about stars and the environment they create in their trailers....he is just the epitomy of cool. and i've seen and read a couple of interviews with him......he said something along the lines of.....if he could, all he would do is draw and golf. he is quite a good artist...does mostly female figure drawings. doubt he needs any more volunteer models, eh?

and you brought up john cassavetes.....i have always loved cassavetes in Paul Mazursky's The Tempest...it made me a big fan of Cassavetes, Gena Rowlands, and Susan Sarandon (Ringwald too, but i haven't liked her as much since). and i was so sure Raoul Julia was the love crazed islander...i cannot believe it's not him...i have to go rent the Tempest to see for myself.......unless you want to send me a picture of the cast member i'm remembering as Raoul Julia....his name is Vittorio Gassman? according to my reference guide.....and as the incredibly informed movie lover you are, i know you'll have some comment about my not knowing Vittorio Gassman...sorry holden, i'm learning.

Vittorio Gassman, among other differences, was more than twenty-years Raul Julia's senior (though sadly for Raul, he outlived him by about six years - Gassman just died in 2000 at age 78). Also, Gassman was Italian, Julia Puerto Rican.

Gassman was a much bigger star (he was also a respected director) in Europe than he ever was in America, though he did appear in U.S. films from time to time: Burt Reynolds' cop thriller Sharky's Machine (1981), Altman's misfires The Wedding (1978) and Quintet (1979), King Vidor's lavish War & Peace (1956), and Barry Levinson's Sleepers (1996).

B-U-T, much more importantly than all that, Raul Julia IS also in the cast of Paul Mazursky's Tempest (1982), along with Gassman, Cassavetes, Rowlands, Sarandon and Ringwald. I haven't seen that movie in a long, long, long, long time, but Raul Julia is the character based on Caliban.

So you're probably remembering Raul Julia exactly correctly.

I AM, I AM, I AM, I AM!!!!!!! hurrah, my memory has actually served me well on this one......but now i don't know what role Gassman played .... holden, thankyou again.

and LBJ.....you left me laughing with the great lines in your post...thanks!

nah, iss cool patti, i know you were just teasing about her name. if you did that with JLH i wouldn't mind but i actually think uma has some skill and beauty.

but yeah, i love biographies. A&E, the History Channel, AMC, and HGTV ... i could just live off those for the rest of my life.

Speaking of Raul Julia and speaking of romance it would be a sin not to mention the boiling chemistry of Gomez and Morticia Addams.

Gomez Addams: How long has it been since we waltzed?
Morticia Addams: Oh, Gomez... hours.

Now With Moveable Parts
Big Val- good call on the Addams couple. They were definately sexy and romantic. How to Make an American Quilt was quite nice in this area of film. patti- have you seen it yet? Have you gazed apon Antonio Sabato Jr.'s wet, hard, bod? Not that, that is the only important thing about the movie, but it was the most entertaining to look at.

All time favorite love story( can't believe I didn't mention it sooner)Like Water For Chocolate. Bam! doesn't get any more romantic than that...although...typing 'chocolate' reminds me of that movie by that title...the one with Johnny Depp, the roaving gypsy-sex-god! That's the stuff right there!

I don't get the deal with Depp...he looks kind of, well, skanky, to be perfectly honest. Not always, naturally...but he does when he lets his hair grow too long. He looked cool in "Sleepy Hollow," though. I love his character in that movie...he really had it down. And yes, I must concur concerning Mr. and Mrs. Addams.

"No worries."
"No cares."
"No survivors."

Anyone got any more quotes from the Addams? The one I posted was the only one on IMDB with any passion and that's a pretty useless quote. Post a quote where they start speaking in different languages "Mon cher..." etc. if you know any.

commish, the "skanky" look you see in Depp is what bugs me about Ethan Hawke.....but i adore johhny Depp; he is just cool and hip and sexy and talented and arty and he knows he's different.

thmilin, i like Uma as well- she's a talented,towering beauty...i've seen some amazing photos of her. i wasn't being critical of her other than making fun of her name and shame on me.