Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Also I am not a big fan of Nicole or Tom

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Super 8

A Film I have been waiting to see for a while finally hit my local theater last week and i finally saw it and here is my review.

In the summer of 1979, a group of friends in a small Ohio town witness a catastrophic train crash while making a super 8 movie and soon suspect that it was not an accident. Shortly after, unusual disappearances and inexplicable events begin to take place in town, and the local Deputy tries to uncover the truth - something more terrifying than any of them could have imagined.

This film takes us back to those early spielbergian type movies in which a young kid is thrown into a major event affecting their world. Its no different here, only it feels incredibly fresh and interesting to watch. The Film gives us a broad look at the area in which the characters are from as well as the characters and their relationship with each other. Joel Courtney plays the lead kid and does very well in the role. Elle Fanning continues to get better and better as a performer and may in fact be a lot better than her older sister. That's how it looks at the moment. Kyle Chandler is also a breath of fresh air to watch and reminds me of those charismatic 60s/70s actors. He carries that essence that they did and I would like to see more of him in the future.

The Monster you get a full view of later on, and comparing to Cloverfield, both monsters aren't visually memorable in my opinion. They're good and keep the story going, but not creative to me.

Overall, Super 8 is a great reminder of what the cinema is best at. Great score, acting, visuals and most importantly story. Check it out.

Rating - 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Akira

This film blew my mind completely. Its going to be quite a good review to talk about something that has a great story, but great visuals that make you question what this film does better. This is Akira.

Kaneda is a bike gang leader whose close friend Tetsuo gets involved in a government secret project known as Akira. On his way to save Tetsuo, Kaneda runs into a group of anti-government activists, greedy politicians, irresponsible scientists and a powerful military leader. The confrontation sparks off Tetsuo's supernatural power leading to bloody death, a coup attempt and the final battle in Tokyo Olympiad where Akira's secrets were buried 30 years ago.

Where to start with this film. The Animation is amazing. Both dark, gritty and brutal. The film gives us access to a grim world in which the strongest survive and the weak die in the streets. The characters are violent, but sympathetic in a world which is slowly falling apart. The lead character Shotaro is the leader of a bike gang driving his way through crime and violence in Neo Tokyo. Tetsuo is his friend whose life changes forever. He becomes a superhuman with powers beyond anything the human race has seen before. Soon his personality changes and he becomes in many ways a madman.

The tone of the film is grim and fits the story that the film is telling. I love the attention to detail that the animators give to the images as well as how realistic the facial expressions are on the characters. It feels dirty when watching it and its amazing. The Final Scene is just mind blowing. When watching it in the cinema and the screen went white, I looked around. Silence. Complete silence around the cinema, a jam packed cinema might I add. I had never seen anything like it in a theatre and with that, I was floored.

Overall, Akira is an achievement never done in Anime before. Its dark, brilliant, mind blowing and sensational viewing.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Beneath The Planet Of The Apes

Seeing as The New POTA film is doing well at the box office, I felt I should go down the list of the original series. I have already reviewed the first one and so I shall move on with the second.

Astronaut Brent is sent to rescue Taylor but crash lands on the Planet of the Apes, just like Taylor did in the original film. Taylor has disappeared into the Forbidden Zone so Brent and Nova try to follow and find him. He discovers a cult of humans that fear the Apes' latest military movements and finds himself in the middle. Tension mounts to a climactic battle between ape and man deep in the bowels of the planet.

This film continues the dark themes embroiled on us in the first film. It continues that sense of a gloomy gritty atmosphere in which the humans have no hope and the apes have conquered the world. We are introduced to a new character called Brent who has been sent to rescue Charlton Heston's character from the first film. He is a bit more calmer than Heston and doesn't throw his anger around, but aside from that, there characters are slightly similar in looks and personality. The Apes are more sinister than they were in the first film. Seeing that army in the middle of the film is quite a scary visual and holds up after so many decades. The Introduction of the mutants is an unusual touch and doesn't explain how they arrived in earth's history. But never the less it adds to the creepiness of the film.

The Climax of the film is also dark and keeps to the gloomy feel of the film.

Overall, Beneath is a great sequel to POTA and stands out as an underrated gem.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Escape From The Planet Of The Apes

The Third in the gritty sci fi series opts for a lighter approach. And this is what people consider one of the weakest of the series.

Following the events in "Beneath the Planet of the Apes", Cornelius and Zira flee back through time to 20th Century Los Angeles, where they face fear and persecution similar to what Taylor and Brent suffered in the future, and discover the origins of the stream of events that will shape their world.

This film is a lot more lighter than the first two. It tends to be a bit comical when we see the two apes adapt to 20th Century life. Its sweet but at times dragging and as a viewer, you miss that gritty setting that was established in the first two films. Never the less, It is refreshing. Also, you don't trust the human characters as paranoia and fear makes them do things they wouldn't normally do.

The acting and effects are equally good and match up to the past films. But there is less of it due to the amount of human characters and present day setting in the film.

Overall, its the weakest but still enjoyable as it grows darker later in the film. Check it out.

Rating - 71% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Exit Through The Gift Shop

I saw this documentary on tv not so long ago and i have to talk about how this documentary is a real interesting look at the human mind.

The story of how an eccentric French shop keeper and amateur film maker attempted to locate and befriend Banksy, only to have the artist turn the camera back on its owner. The film contains footage of Banksy, Shephard Fairey, Invader and many of the world's most infamous graffiti artists at work.

This film is incredibly similar to The Godfather. Firstly because it depicts a character (In this case real life) who undergoes a big change in himself throughout the film. Second it also shows a world which is seen to many as vandalism, but really is a group of people standing up to the world and its rules. Its an amazing insightful look at a human being who planned to create a documentary about street artists, yet in the end was the subject of the documentary as well as using his footage to help understand what drived him to pursue his dream. Banksy isn't seen, but he is interviewed and is someone who really doesn't want to be seen hence why he (or she ?) is blacked out and voice dubbed over. Banksy ends up persueing him and making a film about why he does street art and the other people who do it around the world.

Its a fascinating look at a man who stumbles into a new world and becomes a completely different person as a result of it. Overall, its a great documentary that requires to be seen by many.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Plan 9 From Outer Space

Of all the bad films i have reviewed over this short time, This is the one most people regard as the worst film ever made. But is it really ? Well here is my view.

"Can your heart stand the shocking facts about Graverobbers from Outer Space?" That's the question on the lips of the narrator of this tale about flying saucers, zombies and cardboard tombstones. A pair of aliens, angered by the "stupid minds" of planet Earth, set up shop in a California cemetery. Their plan: to animate an army of the dead to march on the capitals of the world. (The fact that they have only managed to resurrect three zombies to date has not discouraged them.) An intrepid airline pilot living near the cemetery must rescue his wife from this low-budget terror. "Can you prove it *didn't* happen?"

Plan 9 is infamous for all the wrong reasons. The film is very badly made and could be considered as a home film if it was worse. I'll start with the basics. The story is boring. Its cliche as they were in the 50s. Aliens with lazy personalities and a stupid plan that does not make much sense. The acting isn't breakthrough or attention grabbing. And the effects are just woeful and lazy. People could argue that Ed Wood didn't have anything to work with, but after his last two films, can you blame him ? Bride Of The Monster was lazy too and Glen or Glenda he just molded into his own fantasy. So it is primary his fault for being a bad filmmaker.

There are many blunders that make this film infamous, but i laugh not groan about it because you don't take this film seriously. People compare Uwe Boll to Ed Wood, but the film with Ed Wood is that you laugh at his films and with Uwe Boll, you don't.

Overall, Plan 9 is bad, not horrible. Its a cult film that joins other bad films for similar reasons. I was bored by it however, but not enough to give it the title of worst film ever made.

Rating - 14% - D+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Inbetweeners Movie

Based off the popular British TV Comedy, It was only sensible for the film to end the story. With its record British takings, This film as well as the series has touched many young people across the nation. So here is my review.

The story is basically for those who don't know about 4 18 year old friends who head off to Malta for a boys holiday in which everything you expect goes wrong does.

This was a really good British comedy, mainly because it was established by an existing TV Series that grew in popularity. The characters are very likable for different reasons. Will is the geeky one, Simon is the normal yet awkward one, Jay is the horny one and Neil is the thick one. They do have their own traits and personalities and they are very likable characters. They are then introduced to a group of girls that are their potential love interests. A lot of things get in their way, and its comedic. Simon has been dumped by the girl of his dreams and tries to win her back which annoys another girl who is clearly interested in him.

There are some great comedic gags as well. Some quite crude and for an adult audience. Toilet humor is one used a lot and it does get a bit old after a while, but they do use original jokes that are funny and fit the characters personality very well.

Overall, Its released in The US in November so this is a recommendation for when its released. Its funny and while you may have seen this before, its still a good laugh at the cinema.

Rating - 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Princess & The Frog

So In 2009, Disney decided to go old school and bring back hand drawn animation. This time it was slightly different. The cast were all black characters and the setting was New Orleans. This was The Princess & The Frog.

A modern day retelling of the classic story The Frog Prince. The Princess and the Frog finds the lives of arrogant, carefree Prince Naveen and hardworking waitress Tiana crossing paths. Prince Naveen is transformed into a frog by a conniving voodoo magician and Tiana, following suit, upon kissing the amphibian royalty. With the help of a trumpet-playing alligator, a Cajun firefly, and an old blind lady who lives in a boat in a tree, Naveen and Tiana must race to break the spell and fulfill their dreams.

This film is a real return to form for Disney. The Hand Drawn Animation feels nostalgic yet new at the same time. It feels more detailed and more colorful. It reminds me of what Disney once was and what it did best before CGI came along. The story itself is refreshing of an old classic tale. I really like the Jazz theme to it as well as the setting of New Orleans.

The Voice acting is terrific. Anika Rose who plays Tiana is very good and brings a really fresh voice to the character. Her dreams are clear and her situation is bizarre yet amusing. The Crocodile character Louis voiced by Michael Leon Wooley is a very good character with amusing yet touching moments. There is even a surprise death in the film which sort of took me by surprise considering that this is Disney.

Overall, Its a very funny and underrated film. I recommend it for Old School Disney fans and princess film fans.

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Cowboys & Aliens

I wasn't really keen on seeing this, but my Dad decided to surprise me. So i went in with quite low expectations, and honestly...I Was Surprised!!

The Old West.. where a lone cowboy leads an uprising against a terror from beyond our world. 1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist. What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford). It's a town that lives in fear. But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known. Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation.

There is a lot to like about this film. First is the mixture of two very creative genres, Science Fiction & Western. Western has been on the resurgence since True Grit revived the genre to the glory it is now. Sci Fi has been moving in a new creative strand thanks to Christopher Nolan, James Cameron & Duncan Jones. So having these two genres combined is a risky decision, but never the less it works well and doesn't overexpose the other. Daniel Craig's performance is very good and his american accent is convincing. Harrison Ford is also to my surprise very good in the film also. I however found Olivia Wilde to be too beautiful for a western. I think they just needed eye candy for the film, yet you would never find that type of beauty in the western america back then. The effects really worked and the plot was exciting and kept me hooked throughout the film.

My one problem however is that I don't think this film is great one, just a very good one. That's the problem i have with Jon Faverau, he can only make good to very good films and can't manage to pass the mountain of greatness with them. Maybe its because he relies too much on CGI, or maybe he is stuck in the same genre and I would like to see him tackle something new. But never the less, I don't think we have seen his best work yet.

Overall, Its an enjoyable night at the cinema that i think people will like. Its a good positive experience that i reckon will be enjoyed by a good solid audience.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Fast Romance

This is going to be a unknown film to mostly everyone. Its a Scottish comedy shot on a micro budget and boy is it worth talking about.

'Fast Romance' follows the interweaving stories of seven very different people who decide that, in their pursuit of love, it is time to try something new. Little do they know that after one night of speed dating their lives will take dramatic new twists - and we'll be there to witness each and every one of them. This roller coaster ride will leave you in no doubt that just three minutes with a complete stranger can change your life forever.

I'll start off by talking about the story. Its funny and while a bit cliche, still stands out as something new and exciting to watch. There are multiple likeable characters in the film that people could relate to. There are some comedic moments that make the film more light hearted than it already is.

My one problem with the film was its camera work. It didn't feel cinematic and that was kind of a problem for me. It doesn't get rid me from the story, but it is at times distracting.

I'm not expecting anyone to find this as it had a very small release, but remember the title and if you do find it, do watch it as it is a nice little scottish gem.

Rating - 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews... Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes

The Next film in the franchise and arguebly the darkest of the series. Its the film that changes the game once again, the new twist in the story and shows that the human race could be the most evil of them all. The film is about Cornelius and Zira's son Caesar who leads apes to revolution in this installment of the apes saga. Dogs and cats have been wiped out by a plague and now apes are household pets that are treated like slaves. Caesar has the intelligence to fight this oppression.

There is a lot of dark elements in this film. Firstly it deals with slavely over the ape population which is quite grim to watch. You see apes being tortured and treated like pets in a dystopian world which is stripped of imagination and free will. The character of Caesar is someone who is devastated and angered at the world he has seen and wants to make a radical change. With his intelligence, he leads the apes into a deadly battle that will forever change the earth. Roddy McDowell's acting is tremendous and chilling to sit through. But what he is doing is good as the human race have become a paranoid race scared that the future told to them will come true, explaining their hideous treatment of the ape race.

The effects are still great even to today's standard. With the dystopian tone of the film, it feels very raw and gritty at points especially at the climax. Its a real grim story but you do see the good in what Caesar is doing. The human actors are good too and you do grow some hatred in their characters.

Overall, Conquest is the turning point of the film. Its grim, dark and satisfying to watch as an apes fan or a sci fi fan.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Battle For The Planet Of The Apes

The last in the original POTA franchise and what is considered the weakest of the films. Watching these films have changed me in many ways, so I am hoping this last one can continue that.

After conquering the oppressive humans in "Conquest for the Planet of the Apes", Caesar must now keep the peace among the humans and apes. Gorilla General Aldo views things differently, and tries to cause an ape civil war. In the meantime, other human survivors learn of the ape city, and decide they want to take back civilization for themselves, thus setting the stage of warring ape factions and humans.

This film I consider to be underrated in the series. We see the fallout of the last film and how Caesar has instead tried to keep both human and ape society equal instead of one dominating the other. Roddy McDowell keeps up the incredible performance of Caesar and establishes himself well as the leader of the apes. The other performances are good, but Roddy puts that special touch in his performance that makes him so good under the ape makeup.

The tone and story of the film is brighter than it was in the last film, but it does contain its dark elements that don't lead it astray from the series itself. There is a underground cult which return from Beneath The Planet Of The Apes. Here they wage war on the Ape/Humans to reclaim the world. Also, there is a gorilla rebellion among the society which leads to a final showdown which is both dark and gripping.

Overall, Its a good film and has a very memorable quote of mine (NOW...Fight Like Apes!!!). Its a solid cap on the series and leaves behind quite a remarkable legacy on Cinema.

Rating - 70% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Public Enemies

Johnny Depp is one of Hollywood's best and most eccentric talents in the history of the business. So when he teams up with Michael Mann, the same man who made the groundbreaking crime thriller Heat. We know we were going to see something very good.

This is the story of the last few years of the notorious bank robber John Dillinger. He loved what he did and could imagine little else that would make him happier. Living openly in 1930s Chicago, he had the run of the city with little fear of reprisals from the authorities. It's there that he meets Billie Frechette with whom he falls deeply in love. In parallel we meet Melvin Purvis, the FBI agent who would eventually track Dillinger down. The FBI was is in its early days and Director J. Edgar Hoover was keen to promote the clean cut image that so dominated the organization through his lifetime. Purvis realizes that if he is going to get Dillinger, he will have to use street tactics and imports appropriate men with police training. Dillinger is eventually betrayed by an acquaintance who tells the authorities just where to find him on a given night.

This film is highly underrated in my opinion. Firstly, Michael Mann's direction is just as good as it was in Heat. The film feels like you are in the period setting that the film is establishing. The 1930s feels very alive and colorful. And the film does a great job in unleashing that setting to the audience. Secondly is Johnny Depp's performance. Easily a fantastic one at that and really buys you into the character who is rebel against the system. He isn't a very nice person, but the cause and reasons for it are noble in many ways.

Then there are the supporting cast. Christian Bale is his usual fantastic self and is a good but complex rival to Depp's character. He seems to not have his own say in matters. He does the job and that's that without a conscious to follow him. Then there is Marion Cortland. Truely great performance here playing a character so sucked into Depp's world and his lifestyle that it changes her for the worse. Its a scary transformation to watch and proves that anyone can be changed if done right.

The Action scenes are very good. They are all practical and without CGI for once so it was nice and exciting to see that. The highlight of the film is the shootout in the woods. A very violent and gory scene to watch.

Overall, Public Enemies is an underrated classic that proves that Michael Mann is a masterful director that can do no wrong.

Rating - 99% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes

After Burton's "Remake" of the successful franchise, The series took a rest for a while. But this year, It returned in quite a spectacular fashion. Both effects and story.During experiments to find a cure for Alzheimer's disease, a genetically-enhanced chimpanzee uses its greater intelligence to lead other apes to freedom.

This had to be a tricky film to get right for the producers, but never the less it really delivers in all places. The CGI Effects in this film are excellent and are close to perfect bar a few mistakes. James Franco is pretty good but nothing to get excited about as the headline performance is that of Andy Serkis as Caesar. He nails it and should be a contender for the acting oscar next year. You forget that it even is a CGI effect sometimes as the attention to detail is amazing. Other actors like Brian Cox & Tom Felton are also very good.

The Story itself takes a good amount from Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes yet does the story a lot more subtle and calm. It takes its time to get to the plot points instead of rushing through it. You care for the apes and the conditions they have been treated in makes you sympathize with them and despise the human characters. It then builds up to quite an interesting climax that makes you question whether the humans are always right and superior to other races.

Overall, ROTPOTA is a film worth seeing. It successfully reboots the franchise as well as an entertaining and intelligent sci fi film which seems to be the trend right now ever since Inception.

Rating - 94% - A