Movie Tab II

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

Thunderheart (Apted, 1992) -

Based on actual events from the 1970s, Thunderheart centres on Val Kilmer's Levoi, an FBI agent who's assigned to a murder case that happened on an Indian reservation. Teamed with another agent (Sam Shepard) and working in an uneasy partnership with the local police chief (Graham Greene), Levoi tries to solve the mystery, realising that the case is much more complex than it's made out to be.

Thunderheart has been recommended to me by members of both forums I frequent, and I can see why. A very underrated mystery that is aesthetically great (the director of photography was Roger Deakins, after all) and also features an engaging plotline. The acting is also great and doesn't feel forced at all (and Greene's character stole virtually every scene he was in). The story with its various twists and turns was also competently directed by Apted. It's a shame that in order to get this I had to buy it blind from a random shop that carried imported DVDs, as it's a very underrated film.

S.F.W. (Levy, 1994) -

Cliff Spab (Stephen Dorff) is your average Generation X layabout who is taken hostage while at a convenience store. After a highly publicised month in captivity, Spab is released into a society that hails him as a national hero. This is due in no small part to the attitude he displayed during his ordeal, perfectly expressed in his legendary soundbite, "So f***ing what?"

S.F.W. had the potential to be a great movie. In very much the same manner as Allan Moyle's Pump Up The Volume, it manages to channel a generation's shared sense of disaffection with life through a single individual and his controversial behaviour. While there are obvious differences (Pump Up The Volume's lead is constantly trying to maintain his double life, whereas S.F.W.'s lead is struggling to adapt to a wholly different life altogether), there's a similar feeling of an ordinary guy who gets thrust into the limelight and becomes a messiah for the world. In that sense, I start to feel that S.F.W. is like the spiritual sequel to Pump Up The Volume.

I also feel that while S.F.W benefits from the same strengths as Pump Up The Volume, it also suffers from a lot of the same weaknesses. A lot of emphasis is placed on the plight of the protagonist at the expense of virtually every other character in the film. While Dorff's portrayal of Spab as an incredibly foul-mouthed loser is a decent performance, the rest of the acting in the film is subpar (including Reese Witherspoon as one of the other hostages). I almost get the feeling that making everybody save for the main character (and whatever possibly love interest he may have) one-dimensional is actually an intentional decision as a means of making one identify with the character's decidedly anti-social perspective. It also helps fit with the concepts of mob mentality that S.F.W. deals with.

It's interesting that, as with Pump Up The Volume, I can find a lot to intellectually appreciate about a film that is admittedly rather mediocre in terms of filmmaking. I'd recommend it to basically anyone who imagines they feel a similar malaise to Spab, a character whose attitudes and experiences are rather entertaining and familiar to many (I wonder if Chuck Palahniuk took inspiration from this film when he wrote Survivor, as I was reminded of that when I was watching the film).

So f***ing what.

Friday the 13th (2009) -

An exceptional addition to the series. It made homages and paid tribute to several key moments in earlier Friday the 13th installments (the ending of the original, the origin of Jason's killing spree) while adding a few unique twists to make it its own (the underground mine tunnels). I liked it a lot and had one hell of a time watching it at the theater; the crowd really got into the movie and its well-delivered scares and brutal death scenes as I did.

As he did with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Michael Bay delivered (or helped deliver) an awesome new old slasher.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (Kenji Misumi, 1972)

The third film in the Lone Wolf and Cub series is a bit more low-key than the first two. It still has bloody action, although these scenes are paced further apart than before. The major change seems to be that in this installment, Ogami Ittō (Tomisaburo Wakayama), the former Shogunate executioner, comes across another "true warrior", Kanbei (Go Kato), whom Ittō would like to see continue to live, so the two delay their duel and call it a draw. The back story of Kanbei turns out to be as important as anything else in the film. Although I said that there seems to be less action and more quietude in this outing, the finale is quite spectacular when Ittō takes on the entire army of a corrupt chamberlain, and then Kanbei turns up again at the very end. This final 15 minutes may be as good as anything in the first two films.

W. (Oliver Stone, 2008)

Oliver Stone leaves behind his usual frenetic, free-wheeling style to tell the story of President George W. Bush's life from two perspectives, both surprisingly low-key and empathetic to the man. Of course, Josh Brolin's total immersion into the Bush persona makes it seem much smoother than it otherwise would have been. Bush is seen shortly after 9/11 with his cabinet and advisors planning on how to fight his war on terror. At the same time, the film begins a series of flashbacks which begin in 1966 when Bush was a pledge at a fraternity at Yale. The younger Bush is shown to be a pleasure-loving, hard-drinking young man who constantly disappoints his father (James Cromwell) while seeking to find his place in the world. The older W. is shown to be a sincere individual who isn't fully-equipped to deal with fighting a war on terror and who seems to have surrounded himself with some questionable aides and confidantes who don't actually support the same principles he does. As I mentioned before, Josh Brolin is terrific playing Bush at all ages as a truly-likable person, especially when meeting and courting his future wife Laura (Elizabeth Banks).

Stone seems content to show Bush in a non-cynical way. The entire first hour plays out as a loose character comedy which just happens to be about very serious situations involving dozens of real-life characters. Stone uses longer takes than normal and leaves it up to the audience to interpret what it all means. It's only in the final hour, where the Iraq War shows a badly-divided Bush Administration when someone could take any real objection to the politics shown. No matter who seems to be on the hawk or dove sides, W. almost always seems to be a man in the middle, trying to weigh both sides and keep things together while trying to uphold the Constitution. I will admit that you'll have to decide if Stone was being satirical in his use of the recurring background music of "Robin Hood", "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and "The Yellow Rose of Texas" throughout the film. It also ends with one of my fave Dylan songs, "With God on Our Side", playing over the end credits. I wouldn't be surprised if W. himself interprets that song differently than I do, but I also know that W. probably looks at baseball differently than I do, and baseball is used as a metaphor throughout the film.

Lust For Life (Vincente Minnelli, 1956)

I'll admit that I may have a tough time justifying such a high rating for a very melodramatic and mostly-depressing biopic of Vincent Van Gogh, but since he's my favorite artist, and Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn (as Van Gogh's friend Paul Gauguin) are so good in their roles here, I'll surprise myself and continue to think this highly of it. Van Gogh was a deeply-disturbed individual who found it difficult to give all the love he felt for a suffering humanity. He was also apparently clinically-depressed from his extreme sense of loneliness and low self-worth, and he suffered seizures, especially in the final two years of his life. The film follows Van Gogh's life at a mining village and his subsequent reunion with his brother Theo (James Donald). Van Gogh had bad luck with women, and after being told he was a failure as a Man of God, he was also considered a failed artist. It's only when he's left to his own devices and moves into a house in Arles, that he begins to perfect his own intense post-impressionist style which makes him so beloved to this day.

The highlights of the film, besides the dozens of Van Gogh paintings on display, are that many of the characters and settings are obvious recreations of the people and places that Vincent painted. That and the scenes between Van Gogh and Gauguin where they argue about how and what to paint and what it means to them. Although the men were obviously friends, the relationship was a very stormy one and eventually led to Vincent cutting off part of his left ear. After this incident, Vincent agreed to commit himself to a mental hospital at Saint-Rémy. He would go for long stretches just relaxing without his paints and canvas, but when he was deemed well enough to work, he created many of his most-famous paintings while staying at the hospital. The overall intensity of Lust For Life is immeasurably aided by the musical score by Miklós Rózsa and the brightly-colored photography of F.A. Young and Russell Harland. At the center of it all is the voice of the human soul crying out for companionship and understanding.

The Fall (Tarsem, 2008)

This lush fantasmagoria tells the story of injured 1920s Hollywood stuntman Roy (Lee Pace) and his relationship with immigrant girl Alexandria (Catinca Untaru) who's staying at the same hospital with a broken arm. To pass the time, Roy tells Alexandria exotic stories of adventure and heroism, which he embroiders with some wildly anachronistic touches and she sees in her mind's eye as even more flamboyant (if that's possible). Eventually, Roy enlists the girl to get him some painkillers from the hospital pharmacy, and as the stories continue on towards some form of conclusion, Roy and Alexandria seem to enter into the stories themselves and what happens in both the real world and the story world seem to begin to affect one another.

The Fall begins with a sparkling black-and-white sequence involving a train stopped on a bridge and a horse being hauled out of the water below. It continues with many more references to horses, some suspended in the air. The remainder of the film is in spectacular color, with many scenes shot through colored filters and others awash in hues and tones which seem to seep into the frame from various angles. The locations and sets are often breathtaking, while the story and characters are so unique that you will probably have to agree that you've seen nothing like it before. The film's conclusion, with a seemingly impromptu "narration" from a very-excited Alexandria, includes a wonderful scene from Buster Keaton's Three Ages. Whatever you ultimately think and/or feel about The Fall, I feel that you'll have to give it points for originality and beauty.

Love's Labour's Lost (Kenneth Branagh, 2000)

Kenneth Branagh deserves some points too for turning this Shakespeare comedy into a 1930s style musical, complete with some of the best songs to ever grace the Astaire and Rogers films. The plot involves a King and his three best friends agreeing to leave women alone for three years, but almost immediately, a princess and three of her friends show up in the kingdom, and love smacks all eight of them right between the eyes. The Shakespearean dialogue is still in place, but the setting seems to be the late 1930s, so that when war eventually breaks out, the obvious reference is WWII. In between the Shakespeare, the characters sing and dance to Cole Porter, the Gershwins, Irving Berlin, and Jerome Kern/Dorothy Fields. I thought that Alicia Silverstone was probably the weakest thespian and the weakest singer. Branagh will never make anyone forget Fred Astaire, but he does a decent interpretation of "They Can't Take That Away From Me", and even some of what seems like shoddy choreography comes across as charming in a sort of Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland "Let's put on a show!" manner. I realize that the concept does sound like it's rife with disaster, but if you just lighten up a bit, it does have its pleasures.

Saw Slumdog Millionaire again on Friday. Amazing.

The City of Lost Children (1995) -

I really liked this. Very creative and very well-made (the French make the best movies). Ron Perlman was great and so different from anything I've seen of him before. A rewatch is definitely necessary because I didn't pick up some of the plot, but I can't wait to watch it again.

Dude, Where's My Car? (2000) -

This movie is stupid and damn good at being stupid. It makes me laugh a lot and it's very fun. Ashton Kutcher and Sean William Scott have great on-screen buddy chemistry.

Millions (2004) -
+

Extremely touching film with tons of great life lessons. Clever use of color and an exceptional soundtrack. I can't wait to check out Danny Boyle's other work and revisit 28 Days Later, because I'm really what I've seen so far (Slumdog Millionaire already makes him one of my favorite directors).

Magnolia (1999) -

Holy crêpe. I've had this from Netflix for a long time but I've kept putting it off because of the length. For some reason, I always think long movies I haven't seen before are going to be super boring. But this wasn't at all. What stood out most to me about it was simply how well-made and original it was. Everything was top notch, notably the acting, the direction, and the script. I've got to buy this.

Waltz with Bashir - Ari Folman (2008)

Probably the most powerful film of the year but it also left me feeling that it could have been even better. There are certain parts which, while interesting, don't seem to be very relevant to the story, and I felt like there were some loose ends. I know it can all be explained with the basic premise and handicap of his fragmented memory but...Maybe it'll all come together more naturally upon a second viewing. Anyway, it almost had me in tears near the end so it's not really the kind of movie you care to (or can) dissect too rationally. Very very sad...

Magnolia (1999) -

Holy crępe. I've had this from Netflix for a long time but I've kept putting it off because of the length. For some reason, I always think long movies I haven't seen before are going to be super boring. But this wasn't at all. What stood out most to me about it was simply how well-made and original it was. Everything was top notch, notably the acting, the direction, and the script. I've got to buy this.
Funny, there's quite a few people around here who actively dislike Magnolia because of how unoriginal it is - the most obvious film it steals from is Robert Altman's Short Cuts (which, like Magnolia, is a three-hour epic revolving around the intersecting stories of different people living in L.A.).

Anyway...

The Thin Red Line (Malick, 1998) -
+

Maybe watching this at midnight wasn't the best idea, but then again I wasn't going to sleep anyway. I'll definitely be giving it another viewing before I return it, because it really was damned good. What was so great about it? Well, for one thing, it was visually an amazing film. The lush Pacific landscapes of the film are stunningly picturesque, even when contrasted with the explosions and violence of the battle that occur in the same spot. The cast is also excellent, with the film pinballing between various known and unknown actors and their various internal monologues. For a film with various characters spread so thin across the three-hour run-time, it still managed to make them worth caring about. There were quite a few tense "calm-before-the-storm" moments leading up to the inevitable skirmishes that literally had me holding my breath. I don't really have much else to say about this other than I really liked it.

Hamburger Hill -

I don't know what it is, but Vietnam War Movies always just tend to be good to me, this Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket are great examples of those. I think this one is more action oriented than either of the ones I mentioned though. The acting is pretty solid through most of the cast, and the story is pretty good as well. I don't know, I guess there's really nothing else to say about this, that may be because I'm just really tired right now. I may type some more stuff up for it tomorrow when I'm not so tired, but for now I'll stay with this.

Funny, there's quite a few people around here who actively dislike Magnolia because of how unoriginal it is - the most obvious film it steals from is Robert Altman's Short Cuts (which, like Magnolia, is a three-hour epic revolving around the intersecting stories of different people living in L.A.).
I'll have to see Short Cuts to have any sort of input.

Just added it to Netflix and it has Tim Robbins.

I kind of agree with Iroquois on Magnolia, I like the film, just don't believe it to be as good as some claim, I'd give it a 3/5. I've seen Short Cuts (4/5) as well, and I can see how some may make the connection between the two films. For Altman my personal favourite is The Player (5/5), a must see for all film fanatics.

The Thin Red Line is one of my favourite films of all time and I am usually shunned when I say it's better than its fellow 1998 WWII film Saving Private Ryan, but that's okay. The film is about more than war, at least the superficial wars, it's about the war of existence. For Mallick, well he's only directed three other films, but his first two, Badlands and Days of Heaven are excellent as well.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Schindler's List

Zulu

In the Heat of the Night

Unbreakable

Valkyrie

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Mississippi Burning (Parker, 1988) -

Based on actual events that happened in and around a small Mississippi town in 1964, the film centres on two FBI agents (Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe) whose initial search for a trio of missing civil rights activists mushrooms into a large-scale investigation as the Feds butt heads with the oppressive way of life in town. With the authorities unwilling to co-operate (due to their involvement in the various hate crimes throughout the film) and the black members of the community afraid to talk for fear of getting attacked, the investigation faces serious difficulty.

This was a quite good film - I reckon I may have upped it to
if it weren't for some issues with the third act of the film. Hackman turns in a decent performance and Dafoe is one of those actors who I like in virtually anything he's in. I found out that this film won an Oscar for its cinematography, and it definitely shows.

Jersey Girl (Smith, 2004) -

A couple of years back I would've considered myself an unapologetic Kevin Smith fan, yet it wasn't until tonight that I got around to watching what will probably be remembered as his most infamous feature - Jersey Girl. it was derided at the time by being completely different to his other features (not featuring the same "Askewniverse" characters or having a similar sense of humour) but nowadays I'm not seeing it as much of a hindrance as I am gradually getting over Smith's films. Granted, Jersey Girl is a film I probably wouldn't have bothered with if it didn't have Smith's name attached to it - it really does seem like a rather conventional and therefore lame rom-com, easily one of my least favourite genres of film. Although I didn't dislike it as much as I'd expected, I was still unimpressed. Okay, so I laughed a few times (mainly because of George Carlin - at least three quarters of the laughs were because of him) and it wasn't so bad that I decided to shut it off (although I rarely do that). It's still not an especially good film, but that's alright. I don't have to watch it again.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Sideways (2004) -
+?

um...so this was in the comedy section of the movie store which is so misleading. Somebody is going to be in a really sour mood and try to go to the movie store to get a movie to make them feel better (or is that just what i do...) and they'll go to the comedy section in order to laugh, and watch this downer and feel worse than they did before! It isn't until the last like 30 seconds where the film gets any sort of happiness and after watching the whole movie about the character you kinda think to yourself 'well he's gonna **** it up anyway' because he has so far the entire movie. I dunno i wish i would have known it was a mid life crisis, un-funny love story (?) if i had known i may have stayed away from it because it was not what i was in the mood for...ever...actually, it wasn't even like i was in a bad mood i want a happy movie because i watched this movie over a span of like...a week, i do that a lot with movies when i don't have time i watch like 15 mintues before i fall asleep every night that's what i've been doing on Akira (i'm almost done ) and i'll be writing a very different thingy on that later... so yeah i guess it's a two plus but not 2.5 because there were sooome situational funnies but only so much so that i'd be like 'heh, i'm glad i'm not him' and omg i didn't want to hear the character Maya's long ass speech about how 'wine is like a living person' because honestly, i don't share their passion for wine, i'm 17 so0o0o...i just kinda wanted her to shut up then. the only parts i really kinda liked/thought were interesting were the fun facts about vinyards and how wine was made...kinda sad?

Bonnie and Clyde (1967) -

So he had ED or something right?..... anyway yeah Hilary Duff can so not play that role, just because she looks like Faye Dunaway doesn't mean she can act like her. I think they should just let this movie rest and normally i'm pretty eh about remakes i don't mind as much as some people who get truly offended it's just easy for me to ignore them if they suck so i mostly don't care if they're remaking it but i really really think that they should just leave this one alone because they can't recapture the style of the sixties pretending it's the thirties...lol know what i mean?

Slumdog Millionaire (2008) -

k so i saw two movies two days in a row at Regal Cinema and both days the sound was extremely loud, louder than normal and i think that really benefitted this movie, it was so over-stimulating! I loved the way it was filmed and the soundtrack is amazing i wish more movies could do it like this. And although i didn't really believe in the love story with Jamal and Latika (because i don't really believe in destiny which their entire love was based on...) it didn't take away from the movie at all for me, i especially loved the first half where they were kids

The Reader (2008) -
+

the movie took a turn that was very different than what i expected but different in a good way that actually got me more emotionally invested in the characters. And yeah Winslet deserves the Best Supporting win more than Penelope Cruise, the only other nominated movie i saw was Vicki Christina Barcelona. And of the best picture ones i've seen my order for favorites would go Slumdog, Reader, Benjamin Button.

Entre les murs (The class) - Laurent Cantet (2008)

I just love this new art theater we have now, I got to see some films that never would have made it to the multiplex. And this one, I'm glad to report, lives up to all the hype. Winner of the Cannes film festival in 2008, this is almost a surgically precise depiction of the challenges faced by educators in a multicultural, working class Parisian school. It's intense, funny, brilliantly acted (it's so convincing that some people actually believed it was a documentary) and brilliantly directed. I dare say this is a better film than Waltz with Bashir, even if it's not as shockingly powerful, which is saying something if you consider it's mostly set in a single classroom with a bunch of regular, mischievous kids. I was surprised to find out that the lead role of the teacher is actually played by the author whose book the film was based on (which in turn was based on his actual experience teaching French in an inner city middle school in Paris), obviously he's a multitalented man. Anyway, see it if you can...

I'm definitely going to seek out the director's previous films. I've heard particularly good things about Time out...

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Winslet is nominated for Best Actress for The Reader. And Penelope Cruz only dated Tom Cruise; she never changed her name...
=\ sorry i was thinking Golden Globes where she was nominated for best supporting actress and nominated for Revolutionary Road for best actress...and the Penelope Cruz thing...yeah...i know i'm normally pretty good about that stuff

Gomorrah (Matteo Garrone 2008)

As the poster indicates Gomorrah is a warts and all look at the Neapolitan Mafia (the Camorra), an organization with it's tentacles firmly entwined around everything from small time drug dealers and money runners, to big business and local government. The film completely does away with gangster movie pretensions, instead weaving together five different stories, each one a matter-of-fact depiction of the organization's day to day activities.

It's pretty hard for me to sum up my thoughts on Gomorrah without contradicting myself. I went into the film with my eyes open, knowing what to expect (i.e. not another Goodfellas, City of God or Romanzo Criminale) but despite this Garrone's candid approach still managed to throw me all out of whack. Whilst on the one hand I genuinely admired the films unromantic fly on the wall style, I was also left completely cold by it. Everything about Gomorrah is presented almost (but not quite) as a lifestyle documentary; a documentary without a narrator to tell you what the hell is going on. At just over two hours the film crams in a lot of convoluted narrative with often minimal exposition. As a result I was left dazzled by the authentic performances, fascinating subject matter and distinctly unglamorous style, whilst feeling equally disorientated and uninvolved by the episodic complexity of the script. This can only mean one thing, I need to watch it again. Recommended...because I'm stupid anyway.

The Happening (M. Night Shyamalan 2008)
+
I'm a huge fan of apocalyptic movies and so despite my better judgment (and the scathing reviews) decided to rent this out. You see I'm not a fan of Shylamalan at the best of times, I find his films awfully slow and preachy with self righteous religious undertones that just ain't my bag baby. Despite all this however, the premise for The Happening (involving a lethal unseen force? plague? natural phenomena?) really excited me in the same way John Wyndham's books used to thrill me as a teenager.

For those of you who don't already know The Happening is about a mysterious outbreak of mass suicides in north east America. Originating in city parks the suicides soon become an epidemic leaving scientists baffled and the population terrified. As the crisis escalates we follow school science teacher Elliot Moore (Mark Wahlberg) and his wife Alma (Zooey Deschanel) as they flee the city looking for safety. Along with them are Elliot's best friend Julian (John Leguizamo looking creepily like Mark Ruffalo) and his daughter Jess (Ashlyn Sanchez)...

I know I'm in a very small minority here, and I'm not trying to pooh-pooh anyone else's opinions regarding The Happening; it's just I thought it was a pretty decent Sci-Fi movie. First off I take my hat off to Shyamalan for delivering a slightly different take on a genre that all too often feels cliched and by the numbers. For once his measured pace really fit the story, which rather than focusing on blind hysteria and anarchy, dealt more with scientific theorizing, and most importantly how to survive based on those theories. It's these elements that always draw me to apocalyptic films and in this regard I felt Shyamalan completely nailed it. The film always felt convincing to me with characters stunned and subdued by the situation rather than looting and trampling over each other to escape. The fact that the population was united and cooperating with each other subtly implied that they were expecting the end and I found that pretty unnerving. There's clearly an ecological undertone to the film (the idea that nature is punishing man for all his ills) which is something I found easier to relate to (and more relevant) that the religious musings Shyalaman usually delivers. I also liked the idea of an unexplained phenomena responsible for man's downfall, and found it a lot more frightening than any plague of zombies, or giant asteroid. The film is far from perfect though, some of the dialogue is a little bit awkward, and occasionally the violence (usually restrained in Shyamalan's films) feels gratuitous and slightly hokey. Overall though I found this to be thought provoking, tense and exciting science fiction, everything the genre should be. The Happening might even be considered a minor classic in twenty years time, if the human race is still here that is

The Shawshank Redemption -

"Get busy living or get busy dieing"; these are the very true words spoken by Andy Dufensne played by Tim Robbins in The Shawshank Redemption. I think this was probably my first rewatch; actually now that I'm thinking about it, I think it's my second rewatch. This viewing was the best viewing of it yet though, I don't know what it was, but it just seemed to hit me more this time than either of the last two viewings did. Maybe it's just because of the time of my life I'm in, even though it's only been like 6 months since when I first saw it, the words in it just seemed to actually speak to me more this time. Frank Darabont's writing is, IMO, the best thing about The Shawshank Redemption, and that's really saying something because of all the incredible acting that was included in this. Frank Darabont turned Stephen King's short story into one of the best movies that I've ever seen.

One thing about the acting that just really seems to stand out to me; is that even with the very huge cast, I don't think there's a single weak performance. Every actor was on top of their game for this one, namely Tim Robbins, whose words just seemed to speak to me. He just really engrossed his role, like I said in the last sentence, even though it was Darabont's writing it's Robbins that really sold the lines. Of course after Robbins comes Freeman, whose naration just flowed throughout the movie, which another one of the great things about The Shawshank Redemption. Out of all the characters though, after Andy and Red, my two favorite characters were Brooks and Tommy; whose played by James Whitmore and Gil Bellows. Just something about their characters really seemed to stand out to me, it's actually after Brooks naration after he got released from prison that just really pushed his character over the top for me.

The senery was just so vivid to me, especially the shot of Red on the fields going to the tree. Thomas Newman's score was what made some of the scenes what they were though, he got the tone down perfect and it just really made the movie for me. Honestly, I have no idea why I ever took this out of my top 10 because I'm sure it deserves to be in there more than some of the movies that I currently have in there. After I get to some rearanging I'll try and get it back in there; I'm not completely sure if it is going to make it back in there though. I'm just hoping I'll be able to fit it in there. This movie is nothing short of extroadinary.

Shawshank seems to get better with every viewing, that is my opinion, it is a rare quality in a film that probably has helped vault it to the top of so many people's favourites. I can't remember how many times I've seen it myself, I'd say at least 20.

Man About Town -

An imaginative drama starring Ben Affleck and Rebecca Romijn in which an elaborate, engaging story is told about the main character's (Affleck's) life, hardships, and struggles to overcome them. The characters were all very likable, the acting was great, and I remained engrossed in the story throughout. A couple of minor issues, but nothing too major to hold it back from a lesser rating.

The Alphabet Killer -

It started out fantastically chilling with a a riveting scene during which the film's antagonist, a serial killer, commited his first murder: the brutal killing of a young girl. The film then escalated even further after that to the frantic detectivework of Eliza Dushku's character trying to solve the crime, more killings being discovered throughout the film. However, once she did solve the crime and the chase between her and the killer commenced, I feel the movie began to fall apart. The ending was a considerable let-down considering the great build-up, and I was left with wanting a more solid conclusion.

Overall, The Alphabet Killer is a very enjoyable movie but falls short of true "goodness" shortly before, during, and after the disappointing climax. It could have been considerably better, but is still decent the way it is.