MOFO 80's Teen Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

It's a nice pic you smiled. I like to see it in color. We did color photos for the seniors when I was in school. I should dig out the old senior year book and look at it someday.

Maybe we can get some more teen pics of the HoF members? I love to see what @Joel @gbgoodies @edarsenal and everyone else...looked like back in high school.

Im the one stood up without the jumper, dont feel Ive changed much at all! Thats me and my 'clique,' in year 11, so we're 16. The irony being that all this talk of cliques, our little crew was basically a makeup of misfits. One of us was a metalhead, one was super smart academic, one was the opposite, one was Irish, one was way out there, and one was super shy. I wont ask for the guesses of which one was me! This was in 2002, so way later than the 80s, but while they may not have been as clearly defined as they were in these films, they definitely still existed. Anyone a little bit chubby or poor or short or slutty or remotely effeminate boys were still the biggest targets from the bullies. I mainly enjoyed high school, despite never being what anyone could describe as popular. But the most apt line ever comes from a Bowling For Soup song, 'nothing changes but the faces, the names and the trends. High school never ends.'

Im still in this, just trying to avoid reading any reviews yet of the ones I havent seen as I dont want them to colour mine. Im on a night shift tonight, so only have access to films I have on DVD, so might rewatch Weird Science or Lucas, since they;re the only ones available to me.

Im the one stood up without the jumper, dont feel Ive changed much at all!...
Neat photo and so cool you posted that I always though you were a boy, sorry but it's hard to tell on the internet. So that's you without the sweater vest, you have a great smile and all of you look real happy

Once Bitten (1985)

I watched this on Halloween instead of Trick 'r Treating It was fun seeing Jim Carey so young. The dance scene was my favorite part of the movie. Boy, that girl could dance too. She must have been a professional dancer as she was really good. Even Jim Carey busted a few moves.

The funniest scene was in the high school locker room showers when his two friends were trying to check his inner thigh for a vampire bite, ha!

I might have seen bits of this on TV way back in the day, but I didn't remember it, so maybe not. Oh, the movie score was great in this. Both the score and the actual songs that were used. I never heard any of those songs before and didn't recognize the names of the bands, but I did enjoy them...The score was much better than generic electronic synth muzak.

Im the one stood up without the jumper, dont feel Ive changed much at all!...
Neat photo and so cool you posted that I always though you were a boy, sorry but it's hard to tell on the internet. So that's you without the sweater vest, you have a great smile and all of you look real happy
That's fine! I have a similar username everywhere, and sometimes the ambiguity or perceived maleness helps...especially in online gaming!

Better Off Dead
(1985)

This is a typical teen romance story. Guy loves his current girlfriend he's only known a few months. Girlfriend wants to date a popular guy, so she dumps current boyfriend. Guy tries to find ways to kill himself because he cants live without her. Factors come into his life that makes him re-evaluate how he feels about her. Along the way, he meets an exchange student who is female and with her help, he overcomes how he feels about his ex-girlfriend, finds that many things are possible with a help of a friend. There is some comedy to this movie but just enough.

There are some funny things in this film, like the Asian brothers, where one only learned to speak English by watching Wide World of Sports and they constantly want to race the main character. A few actors in this film are very popular from other films - Mr. Vargas from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", Karen from "Last American Virgin", Loryn from "Valley Girl" and Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds".

One of the greatest lines from this is

"Now that’s a damn shame, when folks be throwin’ away a perfectly good white boy."

Weird Science
(1985)

If you think about this, this is a teenager's version of "Mary Poppins".

Two guys who are considered nerds create the woman of their dreams in order to get laid and become popular. She helps these guys out with that and finding love. She takes them to a bar, sticks up for them against bullies, invites many over to a party where they take on several gangs, even help them handle one of the boy's older bully brother. All in the process of helping them find the courage and young love.

If you think about this, this is a teenager's version of "Mary Poppins".
Huh. Maybe that's why I've never liked this film.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've been too lazy to check, but I wonder if this was his first Hollywood paycheck for music and that just spurred the whole Danny Elfman in d@mn near EVERY flick since then.

I've been too lazy to check, but I wonder if this was his first Hollywood paycheck for music and that just spurred the whole Danny Elfman in d@mn near EVERY flick since then.
That's an interesting question. I know Oingo Boingo's guitarist Steve Bartek has conducted for Elfman, and also done his own score work (Cabin Boy).

I wonder why someone like Bartek isn't more used in film score? He's clearly more attuned to the dynamics of theory and music - with Danny providing his usual brooding symphonic or carnival themed import, and Bartek doing those amazing and tasty guitar slide into odd note riffs in Boingo songs.

Just by that you know the guy is a hardcore creative. Which is more than I can say that Elfman is.

Wait, no, nevermind. That score for A Simple Plan is incredible.

I'm an idiot.

Im going to try to finish Crossroads tonight and maybe try another movie.

We will see how I feel as I watch

Crossroads
(1986)

This was a bit different than the other teen films on this HOF. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. The music was good and it was interesting to see Steve Vai in it. The story of a classically trained guitarist searching for his blues idol and the lost song. Along the way, they meet up with a young runaway from a broken home. At the crossroad, you learn that the idol sold his soul to learn to play so great.

It is a teen film but more of a dramatic type.

MovieGal, Danny Elfman and Oingo Boingo perform in the party scene of "Back to School," with Rodney Dangerfield, if you haven't seen it.
Average Joe,

I have seen "Back to School" but that was long ago... many many decades of moons.

As Danny Elfman was growing up in the Los Angeles area, he was largely unaware of his talent for composing. It wasn't until the early 1970s that Danny and his older brother Richard Elfman started a musical troupe while in Paris; the group "Mystic Knights of Oingo-Boingo" was created for Richard's directorial debut, Forbidden Zone (1980) (now considered a cult classic by Elfman fans). The group's name went through many incarnations over the years, beginning with "The Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo" and eventually just Oingo Boingo. While continuing to compose eclectic, intelligent rock music for his L.A.-based band (some of which had been used in various film soundtracks, e.g. Weird Science (1985)), Danny formed a friendship with young director Tim Burton, who was then a fan of Oingo Boingo. Danny went on to score the soundtrack of Pee-wee's Big Adventure (1985), Danny's first orchestral film score. The Elfman-Burton partnership continued (most notably through the hugely-successful "Batman" flicks) and opened doors of opportunity for Danny, who has been referred to as "Hollywood's hottest film composer".
- IMDb Mini Biography By: Dana Caro James <[email protected]>