B-Movie HoF II: The Sequel!

Tools    

No one liked my recommendation.
Like is such a radical word I thought it was OK and among the better films on this HoF.

I still have three films to watch but haven't been rushing them as I seem to be well above the curve.

Like is such a radical word I thought it was OK and among the better films on this HoF.

I still have three films to watch but haven't been rushing them as I seem to be well above the curve.
Im going to watch a different film tonight but I will try to get one watched during the weekday evenings and the last one on the weekend.. then I will write my little thing here and give my list to Joel in the order of best to last.

The Beastmaster (1982)
Director: Don Coscarelli

Don Coscarelli made some of my go-to horror films, always with plenty of laughs. Phantasm series and Bubba Ho-Tep.

About 20 mins into The Beastmaster and I was like "wow, really?"

It's very different from his usual movies.

That's not to say I didn't get some enjoyment out of the film because I did. I liked the sets and the effects, and some of it was funny, like when he tries to impress the attractive female prisoner in the woods by warding off the wild animal - that was gold.

I guess it's hard for me personally not to compare this to movies like Excalibur and The Sword and the Sorcerer, even though both those films are tonally much different...the sword/magic/wasteland movies have to be pitch perfect for me to walk away with a warm hit to my gut and file them under definite re-watch.

I caught some PG nudity in this which was cool. Marc Singer just doesn't convince me as a hero no matter how hard I try to imagine him an immortal screen star, he's just not my bag. I think when it comes to sword and sorcery films..pictures like Deathstalker and Conan the Barbarian are my top picks, as well as the ones I mentioned earlier.

I did not hate this film, I just, for whatever reason, couldn't see myself revisiting it anytime soon. That's not to say I won't watch it again under better circumstances. Those circumstances are current life stuff and quality of film transfer on to home media, in that order.

The Beastmaster (1982)
Director: Don Coscarelli
The Sword and the Sorcerer

Conan the Barbarian
First, nice to see some Albert Pyun love. He's a pretty good B-director and I liked The Sword and The Sorcerer last time I saw it plus it has probably the silliest sword in all films.

And yeah, I think it's little unfair to compare B-movies to one of the best films ever made. Conan the Barbarian is an easy top-100 for me.

First, nice to see some Albert Pyun love. He's a pretty good B-director and I liked The Sword and The Sorcerer last time I saw it plus it has probably the silliest sword in all films.

And yeah, I think it's little unfair to compare B-movies to one of the best films ever made. Conan the Barbarian is an easy top-100 for me.
Albert Pyun made Cyborg, too..which is another fave of mine from him.

It isn't correct to compare Beastmaster to Conan, but then again, both films have the goofy in them..and Conan the Destroyer was obnoxious to me. I guess with these types of movies either you have to absolutely nail it (Excalibur), or you have to have me laughing my ass off (Deathstalker)...quaint fantasy films are only a handful for me..pictures like Krull come to mind (loved it!)..and @MovieGal is going to kill me now because my star rating would be about 2 and 1/2

Albert Pyun made Cyborg, too..which is another fave of mine from him.

It isn't correct to compare Beastmaster to Conan, but then again, both films have the goofy in them..and Conan the Destroyer was obnoxious to me. I guess with these types of movies either you have to absolutely nail it (Excalibur), or you have to have me laughing my ass off (Deathstalker)...quaint fantasy films are only a handful for me..pictures like Krull come to mind (loved it!)..and @MovieGal is going to kill me now because my star rating would be about 2 and 1/2
Isnt this the point.. the cheesiest B Movie possible... Its ok to hate my film.. Im sure you have ones I would never watch.. lol like any Ben Stiller movie..

I take the good with the bad and move on...

and oh @Joel

I would never put BeastMaster on the same level as Excalibur

Im a sucker for Arthurian anything...

Isnt this the point.. the cheesiest B Movie possible... .
It doesn't have to be cheesy..just a b movie...I'd even say that a movie like "Over the Brooklyn Bridge" would qualify haha.

But I understand your thoughts about it. I rarely dismiss a movie if I think later on down the road I may get more out of it. But that goes back to my personal thinking on how things happening in life or more importantly in your viewing room can affect watching a movie.

and oh @Joel

Oh, don;t worry...I didn't even put it in the same universe. I was only commenting on how only certain types of these sword movies hit the spot for me, that's all.

and oh @Joel

Excalibur a freakin masterpiece...love that one. We are talking about the one from 1981, right?

Excalibur a freakin masterpiece...love that one. We are talking about the one from 1981, right?
Yeah Excaliber is a great film... a classic

No man, Excalibur is brilliant. Such a gorgeous looking movie. Love the green lighting shining off of all the armor...lots of grunting men in this picture..freaked me out as a child. Very strangely sexual..Boorman had his daughter in it..kind of nasty all things considered, but I can't let that dissuade my love for the movie.