Citizen's Top 62, 1930s Actors & Actresses

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Way out West is a good one!
I had forgot to mention Babes in Toyland and their small part in that one, especially during the big fight at the end. Loved that one as a kid and a teenager. Should try to find that one.

My #26 Favorite 1930's Actor is

Ronald Colman

Filmography Biography

English actor who was not only popular in his own country, but very popular in the U.S. during the 1930s, and 1940s, but he goes back to the silent era days.

With his suave, sophisticated style and leading man good looks, he was recevied top billing much like his fellow Brit actor Cary Grant, unlike Grant Ronald Coleman usually played the stone serious character.

Some of my favorite 1930s movies of his are:

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ronald Coleman.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	39574  

My #26 Favorite 30's Actress is

Norma Shearer

According to her bio she was crossed eyed and and it caused her problems in being cast in movies. Funny, I never noticed that about her. I knew she had very light blue eyes and was hard to photograph in bright lighting, much like Carole Lombard.

Anyway I've always thought she was pretty good, I mostly know her from her early 30s movies, especially the pre code films. Though her biggest role might be the one she didn't get to play...Scarlet O'Hara in Gone With The Wind

Filmography Biography

Some of my favorite 1930s films of hers are:

The Divorcee (1930)

A Free Soul (1931)

The Barretts of Wimpole Street (1934)

The Women (1939)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norma Shearer.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	39576  

Hopefully planning to watch Under Two Flags & If I Were King for Ronald Colman.
Sadly struggling to find any 30s Norma Shearer freely available (I don't do subscription nor dodgy sites)

edit: am subbing Moira in for Norma ... viz. The Red Shoes ... best I can manage I'm afraid

Hopefully planning to watch Under Two Flags & If I Were King for Ronald Colman.
Sadly struggling to find any 30s Norma Shearer freely available (I don't do subscription nor dodgy sites)

edit: am subbing Moira in for Norma ... viz. The Red Shoes ... best I can manage I'm afraid
Do you have a library that loans DVDs? That's where I get most of my movies from.

This is a 100% legal streaming site of public domain films and other cool stuff.

The Internet Archive
279 billion web pages
11 million books and texts
4 million audio recordings (including 160,000 live concerts)
3 million videos (including 1 million Television News programs)
1 million images
100,000 software programs

Do you have a library that loans DVDs? That's where I get most of my movies from.

This is a 100% legal streaming site of public domain films and other cool stuff.

The Internet Archive
  • 279 billion web pages
    1 million images
Sadly no library with easy access, no.
And yeah, thanks but I already use IA - useful site.

Just a quick update to say I watched Red Haired Alibi this morning ... which has LMP in it, although only a bit part as it's one of her early ones (she's only four and not yet realised how 'absolutely fabulous' she is). Wouldn't really recommend it as a worthwhile watch but it does have the plus point that she doesn't do a number in it

Just a quick update to say I watched Red Haired Alibi this morning ... which has LMP in it, although only a bit part as it's one of her early ones (she's only four and not yet realised how 'absolutely fabulous' she is). Wouldn't really recommend it as a worthwhile watch but it does have the plus point that she doesn't do a number in it
...I haven't seen that one before. Actually I never heard of it before. I just looked it up and it's an early film. Question, did Shirley Temple have a smaller role? I see she didn't get top billing on this one, so I'm guessing it's not all about her?

...I haven't seen that one before. Actually I never heard of it before. I just looked it up and it's an early film. Question, did Shirley Temple have a smaller role? I see she didn't get top billing on this one, so I'm guessing it's not all about her?
She basically just plays a child of one of the supporting actors which should tell you how small her role is. She's also nowhere near as 'confident' in her acting so it's pre-LMP really I guess

It's on YT - the print isn't great and there are some frames missing here and there (a few seconds worth at one point at least) but it's watchable.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My #26 Favorite 30's Actress is
Norma Shearer

Norma Shearer is one of those actresses that I've heard of, but I don't think I've seen any of her movies. I added her name to my 1930s watchlist, and I'll make sure to watch some of her movies for the countdown.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Internet Archive
279 billion web pages
1 million images

I found another site that has a lot of movies from the 1930s. I'm pretty sure that they're all in the public domain, and the site is legal. They have more than just movies from the 1930s, but this is the link to the 1930s section. You can get to any of the other movies from the menu on the left side of the page. There are even pages with user recommendations, (called "Fan Favorites"), and I think there's even an option to add your own recommendations page. (I don't know if the site owner is still accepting them, but there are directions at the bottom of the "Fan Favorites" page.)

Free Classic Movies:
https://free-classic-movies.com/1930s.php

I found another site that has a lot of movies from the 1930s. I'm pretty sure that they're all in the public domain, and the site is legal....
Many thanks Gbg - have added to my bookmarks. Will have to look through it later but maybe it'll have some 30s Norma Shearer on it

edit: It just has the one short with Norma from the 30s and the site certificate is being flagged by our Minix so I think I'll probably use it primarily as a reference for what might be available elsewhere, just in case.

...the site certificate is being flagged by our Minix so I think I'll probably use it primarily as a reference for what might be available elsewhere just in case.
Chyp what does it mean, flagged by our Minix?

Chyp what does it mean, flagged by our Minix?
Minix is the machine by which we stream direct to our television (wife kindly bought it for my last birthday) and when I plug that website into the browser it says the issuer of the certificate is unrecognised thus flagging the site as potentially harmful. I should add that on my iMac I get no warning at all so it's most likely perfectly safe to use.

Just watched The Stolen Jools (the FCM site imbeds it from YT so I watched it there) - Norma's in it for all of about 10-15 seconds (purely a guesstimate, don't nobody come back with an actual timing and call me out on that) but I'm counting it as a watch for her as it appears to be my only option lol. The short is a star-studded affair that's small skits knitted into an overall tale which was made for charity (to combat TB) and considering it's made across various studios it's about as good as can be expected.

Just watched The Stolen Jools (the FCM site imbeds it from YT so I watched it there) - Norma's in it for all of about 10-15 seconds (purely a guesstimate, don't nobody come back with an actual timing and call me out on that) but I'm counting it as a watch for her as it appears to be my only option lol. The short is a star-studded affair that's small skits knitted into an overall tale which was made for charity (to combat TB) and considering it's made across various studios it's about as good as can be expected.
Her Cardboard Lover Shearer's last role is on Dailymotion in two parts:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5t72x2
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5t71z3

Edit: Oh yeah you're looking for her 30's films If i find any of her 30's films on the sites you use i'll let you know.

Edit: Oh yeah you're looking for her 30's films If i find any of her 30's films on the sites you use i'll let you know.
Thanks, appreciate it .... and as you went to the effort to let me know about it even though it's from '42 I'll make a note to watch Her Cardboard Lover after I get rid of the wife early next week

Minix is the machine by which we stream direct to our television (wife kindly bought it for my last birthday)...
OK, it sounds like what I had wanted for Christmas, but didn't get a Roku TV streaming device.

Just watched The Stolen Jools ...
I swear every time I looked at the filmography for one of the actors/actresses on my list, The Stolen Jools came up. That movie must have had one helluva a cast.