The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think Richard Widmark is the most memorable thing about Kiss of Death. It is good, but Widmark is the standout. I want to ask you if you know THE scene from the film, but I am afraid I will spoil it for you if you have never seen it - and you plan to. It is a very well-known scene. My mother always said how scared she was of Widmark (despite the fact that she also strangely thought he reminded of her uncle - they looked nothing alike!) when she was a kid because of that scene. She hated it. But then again, why were my grandparents taking their kids to see movie like that, anyway?

I agree re Widmark. He was virtually the entire takeaway from an otherwise forgettable movie. It must have been Widmark's first major role, and he didn't hold anything back. Unfortunately his over the top performance is almost unwatchable today. But as a crass, insufferable nasty oaf, his character carved out one of the most memorable bad guys in cinematic history.

I'm a big Victor Mature fan, but he had the thankless task of playing against the Widmark part, to the point where Mature is almost not remembered from the film.

Re "Postman", I loved this wonderful movie. Garfield and Turner were superb individually, and they sizzled together-- only with the hint of kinkiness. It had a lot in common with Double Indemnity, IMO. The 1946 "Postman" to me was a superior film to it's 1981 remake with Nicholson and Lange. The '81 remake benefitted from a more modern technical palate, and of course the acting was brilliant; but the movie went too far out with the relationship, and was too graphic for Doc's taste...

~Doc

Besides my 1-pointer, still nothing from my list has made it, but at least we're getting close, as I actually had to check my list to see if I included Key Largo. Glancing over my list, I'm pretty sure nearly everything on it will make the countdown and I won't be shocked if they're all in the top 50. It seems to be all big-name films. And it didn't help I only watched two movies specifically for the countdown. Now I've got at least a few movies I'll need to check out!

Key Largo is an old time favorite and the only reason it knocked off was that I was already a bit Bogart heavy on the list and already had a Bogie Bacall film on the list. But trust me, it was a VERY difficult one to take off the list.
Same here, ed. LOVE Key Largo but I have a few Bogie flicks that there was no way I was going to cut, so KL suffered for it.

I haven't seen Now, Voyager, although I've had umpteen chances to. I don't know how many times I've recorded it off TCM only to erase it because I was running out of room.

And Mark, nice trailers there! Do you know who the Tommy Udo-looking character is in Key Largo? I always liked those tough-looking killer types in film noir or gangster flicks.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
And Mark, nice trailers there! Do you know who the Tommy Udo-looking character is in Key Largo? I always liked those tough-looking killer types in film noir or gangster flicks.
You mean Toots? Harry Lewis.

Does anyone else think that Bacall was pretty forgettable in Key Largo ?

I know that's pretty hard for an actress with such screen presence, but she really didn't have much too work with and was easily overshadowed by a trio of Bogart&Robinson&Trevor. I'm mentioning this because I remember being dissapointed by how underused she was in the film.
I was expecting to see her in a big way in Key Largo and I was also disappointed that she was more in the background. I've seen Lauren Bacall in a lot of movies and she's good but had a tough time living up to her very steamy first role in To Have and Have Not.

After that movie I think a lot of people expected her to light up the screen every time and she doesn't always get a chance to do that, thanks to the script.

Have I seen Now, Voyager? Who knows, I sure as heck don't .... I might have as an adolescent but certainly not as an adult. Thought Key Largo might be a little higher but it's a tough decade and spaces on lists are at a premium. Neither made my list

Faildictions:
76. Angel On My Shoulder
75. Drunken Angel

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I loved Now, Voyager, but it just barely missed making my list. If we had sent in top 30 lists, it might have made it.

Key Largo was a pretty good movie, but it's not among my favorites. In fact, I like the song "Key Largo", (by Bertie Higgins), more than the movie itself.

Faildictions:
76. Angel On My Shoulder
75. Drunken Angel

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but Angel On My Shoulder is scheduled to air on Turner Classic Movies in a few hours, (7:30 AM Eastern Time, which is about 4-1/2 hours from now).

Also, for anyone who's interested in seeing Blithe Spirit, it's scheduled to air on TCM today at 1:15 PM Eastern Time, which is a little over 10 hours from now.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but Angel On My Shoulder is scheduled to air on Turner Classic Moviesin a few hours, (7:30 AM Eastern Time, which is about 4-1/2 hours from now).
Pure coincidence I can assure, I don't got TCM

How about this one from Bertie ..... do you prefer film or song??

(Easy choice for me)

Maybe you're psychic.
I am so ..... that's why I do 'faildictions' - 100% spot on thus far

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
How about this one from Bertie ..... do you prefer film or song??

(Easy choice for me)

I haven't heard that song before, but I'm listening to it right now.

It's a nice song, but I like the movie Casablanca more than the song "Casablanca", and I like the song "Key Largo" more than the song "Casablanca". (And I like the movie Casablanca more than the movie Key Largo.)

It's a nice song, but I like the movie Casablanca more than the song "Casablanca", and I like the song "Key Largo" more than the song "Casablanca". (And I like the movie Casablanca more than the movie Key Largo.)
Excellent, I think we all pretty much know where you stand now on the age-old question of Elbert Higgins vs. Humphrey Bogart

And without further ado, back to the countdown......

Key Largo is a fun adventure flick but inferior to some of the other Bogart&Bacall pairings.

I agree with your points. The island of Key Largo (formerly Rock Harbor) may be one of the only places to be re-named after a film.

I enjoyed the film, but it's a little stage-like. The picture always puts me in mind of Bogart's The Petrified Forest, made 12 years earlier. I'd forgotten that Claire Trevor won the Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal of Johnny Rocco's moll, Gaye Dawn.

It's been years since I've seen Now, Voyager, but I do recall that B. Davis put on stunning master class of acting. There was only ONE Bet.....tee..

~Doc

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~76~

Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Producer: Sol C. Siegel
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

56 Points - 4 Lists
(6th; 9th; 16th; 17th)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~75~

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Producer: Kenneth Macgowan
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

60 Points - 4 Lists
(8th; 11th; 12th; 13th)

A Letter To Three Wives is an impeccably scripted drama with a great cast. Well deserved placement !

Here is one of my favourite scenes from the film ...

A Letter to Three Wives almost made my list and it would be in my top 30.

I saw Lifeboat about 20 years ago. It's seems like all the Hitch I rewatch I like much less than I used to, so I didn't bother watching that one again.