The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Ride the Pink Horse was 9 for me! Kudos to whoever had it at #4!

I had it at number four.

Of these four, I've only seen The Spiral Staircase a long time ago, but remember liking it very much and especially remember the ending, which was very neat. It was a movie my Mom loved, which led me to see it. Interesting how a few of you know about it or have seen it due to family connections. Very nice.

Haven't seen or heard of Detour or Ride the Pink Horse, but Robert Montgomery in a film noir? Count me in! I'll see that first chance I get. Loved him in Lady in the Lake, which was fairly unique in the way the story was told. I almost put the latter one on my list but I jettisoned it for another noir I like more.

I've heard of Waterloo Bridge but haven't seen it. For some reason it just didn't sound appealing to me but I'll give it a chance when it comes on TCM, which shows it a lot. Needless to say, none of these made my list. I finally watched Education for Death and thought it was good but grim, which is should be given the subject matter.

Haven't seen or heard of Detour or Ride the Pink Horse, but Robert Montgomery in a film noir? Count me in! I'll see that first chance I get. Loved him in Lady in the Lake, which was fairly unique in the way the story was told. I almost put the latter one on my list but I jettisoned it for another noir I like more.
Good to see some love for Lady in the Lake, usually I don't hear much about it...I liked the unique 1st person camera POV and it's another noir about detective Philip Marlowe. Also loved Audrey Totter in it...If looks could kill, Marlowe would have dropped dead, when he glances at the hot secretary leaving the room, boy did Audrey look pissed! Great scene.

I've heard of Waterloo Bridge but haven't seen it. For some reason it just didn't sound appealing to me but I'll give it a chance when it comes on TCM, which shows it a lot....[/quote]Waterloo Bridge starts off like a touchy-romantic feel good movie, but ends on a very dark note. I suggest not reading about it before watching it, as it has a twist.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Of these four, I've only seen The Spiral Staircase a long time ago, but remember liking it very much and especially remember the ending, which was very neat. It was a movie my Mom loved, which led me to see it. Interesting how a few of you know about it or have seen it due to family connections. Very nice.

I've heard of Waterloo Bridge but haven't seen it. For some reason it just didn't sound appealing to me but I'll give it a chance when it comes on TCM, which shows it a lot. Needless to say, none of these made my list. I finally watched Education for Death and thought it was good but grim, which is should be given the subject matter.
I agree, the ending to Spiral is VERY good.
And I think you'd enjoy Ride The Pink Horse, dad.
And like CR says, it IS a romance but I really liked it and yes, go in blind, don't read about it, just see it. Should you decide to.

Ride the Pink Horse, but Robert Montgomery in a film noir? Count me in!
He directed it too. It was Rauls nom for the 40's HoF Part II, if you decide to watch it and want to see what others think everyones reviews are linked in the first post of this thread - https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=49452

I believe I've once read somewhere that " The Spiral Staircase" was one of the first films to use the shot technique from a killer's POV. (during the stalking scenes) Can anyone verify that perhaps ?

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~90~

Director: David Lean
Producer: Noel Coward
Distributor: General Film Distributors

40 Points - 2 Lists
(4th; 8th)

~89~

Director: Henri-Georges Clouzet
Producer: René Montis
Distributor: Contintental Films

41 Points - 2 Lists
(3rd; 8th)

Saw Blithe Spirit for my very first HOF. Wasn't a huge fan.
I didn't mind it (I watched it for the first time about a year ago). I honestly couldn't stand looking at the spirits being that color. I actually found that to be somewhat distracting. I just didn't like it. Maybe if they were just a paler version of themselves, but I hated the green thing. Also, from what I understand, the ending was changed in the film from what it was in the play. I wonder how I would've felt about that ending. I didn't really have a problem with how this ended, but I just wonder how it would've worked out if it had its original ending.
WARNING: spoilers below
Harrison's character didn't die in the play

I didn't mind it (I watched it for the first time about a year ago). I honestly couldn't stand looking at the spirits being that color. I actually found that to be somewhat distracting. I just didn't like it. Maybe if they were just a paler version of themselves, but I hated the green thing. Also, from what I understand, the ending was changed in the film from what it was in the play. I wonder how I would've felt about that ending. I didn't really have a problem with how this ended, but I just wonder how it would've worked out if it had its original ending.
WARNING: spoilers below
Harrison's character didn't die in the play
Interesting. I am with you on the look of the spirit. Looks like the statue of liberty. Pretty hideous.

The Raven was going to be the last movie I watched for this countdown, and I believe it was Jeff who recommended it to me. I actually put it on but there was something wrong with the link. I was worn out with 40's movies at that point so I said screw it. Now I have to watch it. It's looks like something I'll really like at least.

I saw Blithe Spirit about 20 years ago when my wife and I went on a classic binge. I didn't care for it then and I never thought to watch it again.

I'm very pleased, but at the same time genuinely suprised that 'Le Corbeau' made the list. I had it placed at NO.8.

If anyone is interested in watching it, the story is about a french village doctor who becomes a target of poisonous anonymous letters accusing him of affairs and practicing abortion. Pierre Fresnay , an actor best known for his roles in La Grande Illusion and Murderer Lives at Number 21 (another neat flick by Cluzot) plays the lead. The screenplay was loosely based on a true story and the film itself was pretty controversial at the time, due to fact that it was produced by the German company named Continental Films. Majority of the crew, including Cluzot were actually suspended from working in film industry after France was liberated from Germany because the film was allegedly labeled as an anti-french propaganda.

Anyway 'Le Corbeau' is a masterwork of dark suspense and also possesses a beautiful shadowy cinematography. It is also quite underseen and therefore I strongly encourage everyone to give this gem a shot.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I love Blithe Spirit, especially Margaret Rutherford as Madame Arcati, an endearingly crackpot medium.. She and it are endlessly witty. Le Corbeau is an early H.G. Clouzot (The Wages of Fear, Diabolique) thriller/social satire which is actually based on a true story. It's about poison pen letters sent in a French village where everyone has skeletons in their closets. However, I didn't vote for either.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
have not seen either of these and since I seem to watch one out of a set so far, I would imagine I'd probably have to go find Le Corbeau.

Seen: 7/12

My List:
#18 Waterloo Bridge
#25 Arch of Time 1 Pointer

Interesting. I am with you on the look of the spirit. Looks like the statue of liberty. Pretty hideous.
You know what made the look even worse for me? The rosy cheeks and the bright red lips. It just looks bad.

Anyway, I forgot to mention, as a reminder, the films will be announced earlier on the weekend. So expect the reveals to be between the times of 2-4 PM (Central Time) Saturday and Sunday.

I remember watching Le Corbeau 2,3 years ago when I was watching lots of Clouzot and to my memory it was quite forgettable, I don't remember anything of it haha.