The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I wrote this couple of months ago...

The Uninvited (1944) - Lewis Allen

Well, this wasn't quite what I expected, but it was nonetheless still pretty good. I don't know why, but I thought this would be a classic campy ghost horror, but instead it turned out to be more of a fantasy romance. After first 30 minutes, I completely forgot this was suppose to be a horror, because of its lightheartedness and comicality, and afterwards I was able to enjoy it more, when I realised what kind of film this would be. The cast was good and had nice chemistry, especially Ray Milland and Gail Russell. I quite enjoyed the atmospheric setting of the haunted house by the sea, as it reminded a lot of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir", which is one of my favourite films. I only wished there was a bit more suspensful and gripping moments, but that could be due to the expectations I had previously. Still a very enjoyable and charming flick !

Rating:
-

I dislike " Education for Death " .

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Guess what, guys?

I made a mistake.

I got the placement a little mixed up.

So to make up for it, you guys will get FOUR movies today instead of three.

So I am going to delete that one. Post the CORRECT one. Then just add this one back in.

Sorry!!!

It will be reappearing today.

~94~

Director: Edgar G. Ulmer
Producer: Leon Fromkess
Distributor: Producers Releasing Corporation

38 Points - 3 Lists
(4th; 13th; 23rd)

WHAT?! You made a MISTAKE?!?!

OUTLANDISH

and a bunch of other snobbish remarks. . .

no worries
Oh, you have NO idea how mad I am at myself right now!!! And I have looked and looked at this list over and over again. I have NO idea how I never noticed that I had this mix-up. I'm an idiot.

~93~

Director: Mervyn LeRoy
Producer: Sidney Franklin
Distributor: MGM

38 Points - 3 Lists
(2nd; 18th; 20th)

~92~

Director: Robert Siodmak
Producer: Dore Schary
Distributor: RKO Pictures

38 Points - 4 Lists
(5th; 18th-2x; 25th)

Detour is a neat short-lasting noir. The chemistry between Tom Neal and Anne Savage is definitely highlight of the film.

There is one I have seen. I think Citizen recommend it. Not too shabby, longer than a commercial break to boot.

What a mistake to make !
Looking at my list now, it was just a case of actually having changed the numbers that I had it listed as, but I never changed it to the correct spot - if what I said makes sense at all.

And I guarantee it is going to be the ONLY time that will happen.

Disney animated movies are mixed bag for me in the 40s. I kinda liked the 50s 60s and ofcourse the animation stretch after The Little Mermaid too Mulan and Tarzan. Bambi and Dumbo were great 40s classics but most loved Pinnochio and Fantasia.

Looking at my list now, it was just a case of actually having changed the numbers that I had it listed as, but I never changed it to the correct spot - if what I said makes sense at all.

And I guarantee it is going to be the ONLY time that will happen.
No worries SV, mistakes happen. My post was just a joking tv-show reference.

~91~

Director: Robert Montgomery
Producer: Joan Harrison
Distributor: Universal Pictures

39 Points - 2 Lists
(4th; 9th)

No worries SV, mistakes happen. My post was just a joking tv-show reference.
I just feel like going and crawling in a hole now and block the mistake from my mind. I guess it was a simple mistake with films that all have the same points. At least this wasn't something that revealed the number one film or anything like that.

I thought I didn't like Detour but I must have been thinking of something else. It's just a little over an hour long and is a fun watch, although I'm surprised it made the countdown as it seems so random.

I watched 7 40's movies from director Robert Siodmak, including The Spiral Staircase. I liked all of them but voted for none of them.

I quite liked Waterloo Bridge. Tragic love stories are an easy sell for me.

Ride the Pink Horse was one of the last 3 cuts from my list.

I would rank them in the order I mentioned them.

Waterloo Bridge (1940) : Very interesting film. Melodramatic beggining repelled me and I thought I would end up hating it, however introduction of some dark undertones drastically improved the film and I ended up somewhat enjoying it.

The Spiral Staircase (1946) : Atmpospheric mystery thriller that could've been truly great if antagonist and some other characters were more minutely developed. Eerie setting and Dorothy McGuire's performance are film's best assets.

Ride The Pink Horse (1947) : Copy pasted from 1940's Hall of Fame

I thought this was a very cool and unusual noir. As soon as we got to see suave mystery stranger preparing to confront a local mobster I was hooked. I guess it was because of an atmospheric setting and mystery surrounding the plotline, but I really found myself enjoying this flick. Robert Montgomery, director and the main lead was very good in his role. I honestly disliked his character at the beggining because he seemed excessively rude and I thought he tried too hard to play it cool. But I started to like him when his scenes with Pancho came in and he began to loosen up and started to show his other side. I also appreciated that his character was constructed with obvious flaws and insecurities, unlike many other monodimensional noir heroes. I thought this added a nice touch of realism and was honestly refreshing to see. Also a random thought, but I couldn't help but notice that Alan Ladd would be perfect as Gagin as well. Just seemed like the type of role for him.Another thing that striked was the character of Pila. It was strange to see her being more interesting than the film's villain and femme fatale. Wanda Hendrix was great as a young and naive Mexican girl, who immediately set her eyes on a gringo. And Citizen was right, she did in fact looked like Gene Tierney at the beggining of her carrer, anno 41'-42'. Their facial structure was indeed rather similar and I guess her resembling Gene was another reason why I liked her so much. I thought she was a scene stealer and really a magnetic screen presence. My favourite scene was when she started to feel more comfortable around Gagin and began to blabber something about her sister and her boyfriend and he just looked at her in disbelief, haha. Really funny scene...

I was in general really impressed with the film. It was tense, atmpospheric, gritty and well paced. Nothing seemed rushed or out of place. The flow just came naturally and it kept me at a high level of interest constantly. My only complaints would be that the character of Frank Hugo and Marjorie weren't that interesting and I thought that ending could've been excecuted a bit better. Otherwise a great film and a great nomination !

Detour is a neat short-lasting noir. The sound chemistry between Tom Neal and Anne Savage is definitely highlight of the film.

I've seen every film from this set. All of them are solid, but none is really a favourite.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
trust me, SV, you're doing fine!!
Hell, for me it usually takes someone else letting me know my screw ups lol So, the fact that you caught it WHEN it happens, puts you way ahead of the game

Cool to see a few from the 40's HoFs.
Didn't have Ride the Pink Horse but it was a very enjoyable noir
I had Waterloo Bridge at #18, a wonderfully sad, romantic movie - wonder if @Citizen Rules is the #2 for this one?
haven't seen The Spiral Staircase and Detour is one I need to see and, as of yet, haven't

Seen: 7/10

My List:
#18 Waterloo Bridge
#25 Arch of Time 1 Pointer