Musical Artist Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
know what ya mean, wasn't looking forward to Get Him To the Greek. Really enjoyed Once though. Had wanted to see that one, previously.

Get Him To The Greek is a film for people that liked Aldo in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Not sure how they came to the conclusion that a spinoff would work considering Forgetting Sarah Marshall wasn't really a big hit.

I was really surprised when someone nominated it, i was surprised when Sean nominated Empire in the 10th assuming (or hoping that) everyone had seen Star Wars but this was something else since FSM isn't a big movie. It's not an actual sequel or prequel but it's a film all about a side character, a side character that maybe even fans of the movie didn't like that much.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sadly, I already watched Get Him To The Greek, and I posted my thoughts about it already.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Sadly, I already watched Get Him To The Greek, and I posted my thoughts about it already.
Well, I already watched it, too. I was just holding off on writing something about it. I thought it was OK. Much better than I expected it to be. Will I watch it again? Probably not. But I thought it was OK. Yet, considering the fact that I was maybe never going to watch it (unless it was on one day and there was absolutely nothing else to watch - that is the kind of movie that is to me), I am a little annoyed that I sat through it when I could've watched something else.

The Jazz Singer

Hello. . . my friend, hello.

Listening to and watching Neil Diamond songs are pretty much worth the price of admission for this remake. On that alone, it is very worthwhile.
Have not seen this since the late 80's and it made me appreciate Diamond all the more for seeing it. And, on this revisit, it was like seeing an old friend. "Love on the Rocks" being my all time favorite. I was anticipating this one the most.

Had forgotten the "black face" bit as a tip of the hat to the original. Made me chuckle. Kept thinking of Gene Wilder in Silver Streak with Richard Pryor for some reason and it made me smile even more.

Neil does do a halfway decent job acting in this. Especially during the times in mass and being a cantor, he really shines. Though he doesn't dig very deep for the more emotional scenes. Like when his father rips his lapel signifying him being dead to him. He seems annoyed, instead of genuinely hurt. But for the music, I will happily let it slide.
Though I DID get choked up when he appears at the end for his father at the synagogue and the following scene in the hallway, definitely got to me. (Rather liked that)

All in all, a very enjoyable revisit to an old friend. YAY
Thank you, so much, @gbgoodies for nominating this

The Jazz Singer

Hello. . . my friend, hello.

Listening to and watching Neil Diamond songs are pretty much worth the price of admission for this remake. On that alone, it is very worthwhile.
Have not seen this since the late 80's and it made me appreciate Diamond all the more for seeing it. And, on this revisit, it was like seeing an old friend. "Love on the Rocks" being my all time favorite. I was anticipating this one the most.

Had forgotten the "black face" bit as a tip of the hat to the original. Made me chuckle. Kept thinking of Gene Wilder in Silver Streak with Richard Pryor for some reason and it made me smile even more.

Neil does do a halfway decent job acting in this. Especially during the times in mass and being a cantor, he really shines. Though he doesn't dig very deep for the more emotional scenes. Like when his father rips his lapel signifying him being dead to him. He seems annoyed, instead of genuinely hurt. But for the music, I will happily let it slide.
Though I DID get choked up when he appears at the end for his father at the synagogue and the following scene in the hallway, definitely got to me. (Rather liked that)

All in all, a very enjoyable revisit to an old friend. YAY
Thank you, so much, @gbgoodies for nominating this

I'm glad you enjoyed The Jazz Singer so much. Neil Diamond is one of my all-time favorite singers, but most people here don't appreciate the music I love, so I was a little concerned about how this movie would go over here. It's nice to see that some people here like him too.

Even though his acting isn't the best, that scene in the hallway always gets to me too.

LOVE Diamond! Even back then when I was mostly a metal head. lol

I didn't even know who Neil Diamond was the first time I saw The Jazz Singer. I was practically dragged to the theater by a friend who wanted to see it. I thought it was just a religious movie about a cantor.

By the time the movie was over, I was head over heels in love with his voice and his music. I ran to the music store to buy the soundtrack album, and that's when I found out that he was a singer, not an actor. I spent the next few years collecting all of his old records, and I've been buying his albums ever since then. I've also been to his concerts at Madison Square Garden several times.

never seen the man in concert, but I have heard he does quite the show.

He's amazing in concert. He said in an old interview that he started wearing glitter shirts so his fans could see him even if they're sitting in the cheap seats, and they've just become a tradition for him over the years.

@edarsenal

Did you know that he considered changing his name to "Ice Cherry" when he recorded his first album? He thought it sounded like a cool rock 'n' roll name.
OMG I am SO GLAD he didn't!!

never seen the man in concert, but I have heard he does quite the show.
He's amazing in concert.
I second gbgoodies' opinion on his concert performances. The man is great. It is like he is just one of those artists that is a must to see live. I have seen him twice. And neither time was he even slightly a disappointment. Well worth the money to see him live!

im pretty curious how this going to end up.. please Silent could you let me know once you will be revealing the list? Thank you

im pretty curious how this going to end up.. please Silent could you let me know once you will be revealing the list? Thank you
Will do.

We have until July 2nd.

I am fully expecting Destiny to finish in the month that we have left. I am also assuming, as of right now, that Clazor is still in unless I hear otherwise.

Not including my own, I have two list so far, which are from Citizen Rules and Gideon.

I think we have done pretty well with this, and I am actually quite anxious to see how this turns out.

i have three more to watch: La Bamba, Eddie & the Cruisers and Idolmaker and then I'll be sending in my list.

I'm sure Destiny and Clazor will wrap things up near the end.