The 4th Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
wow i even more surprise to know that twist dani xD - which one from men with suit?
but honestly that short really fakin' caught me :O - also i just checked imdb that's short came frm the same guy that directed sanctum
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0340958/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

just seen dust, it's well build - but i'm not buyin' the twist with alan rickman somehow , i'll look up again, that one. unfortunately not got a chance to binge and write more i'll look for more free time at the weekend

Yeah the guy with curly hair in the suit. Makes me laugh seeing him in that.

And that is indeed Al who directed Sanctum. Nice guy.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
That's what I really liked about Flankers, and why I decided to nominate it. It's very honest, and doesn't try to sugarcoat events.

Glad you liked Dust as well, Ed.

WARNING: "Dust (2013)" spoilers below
When I watched the short a second time, I noticed that the mother wasn't exactly attentive of the daughter. When she picks the girl up from school, her face is in her phone, and she doesn't speak a word to her on their walk home; she just forces the girl along by the shoulder. I can totally see a woman like that ignoring little noises during her time to relax, especially if she just thinks her daughter is staying up past her bedtime. The mother does eventually come out, but she's irritated instead of concerned. I don't think she's winning any Mother of the Year awards haha.

I agree about the tooth. Though the girl seemed happy enough at the end anyway.
WARNING: "speaking of which," spoilers below
I noticed those things about the mom in the second watch of that one

And you are welcome. I am quickly becoming quite the fan of your noms

I am quickly becoming quite the fan of your noms
Thanks.

I'll have to nominate something completely terrible for the next HoF though. A few people have been saying similar things lately, so we'd might as well get the inevitable disappointment out of the way haha.

I've got Flankers as the next cab off the ramp for tomorrow morning.

Yeah, I finally got to watch a couple of the noms last night. I enjoyed both, immensely.

A Dog's Life (Charlie Chaplin, 1918)
@Camo

I'm glad there's some silent shorts in this Hof. I really enjoy them. Silent films are a much different viewing experiencing than the typical blockbuster movie. Silent films are more akin to reading a book as they require active participation. I like em!

Chaplin is a genius! I laughed out loud, and that's more than I can say for most modern comedies. I loved the opening scene where the little tramp is sleeping in a vacant city lot, laying on the dirt in the cold and trying to keep warm. There's an old rickety fence and he stuffs his handkerchief in a little knot hole to keep the cold air of his backside, then...he uses a piece of pipe for a hand muff...ha! That was clever.

The homeless dog that he rescues was way cute, and together they made a charming pair of lovable rogues. And that's the genius of Chaplin, his little tramp character is someone the working class person could relate to, even admire...and even though he's down an out, he has a mischievous side and is not above stealing food or drinks for comedy sake.

Peace on Earth (Hugh Harman, 1939) @SilentVamp

I had seen this one before. It's one of the few animated shorts that has stayed with me. I'm glad it was nominated so now I know what it's title is.

Wow! This must have blown audiences away back in 1939...with the world about to go mad as world war broke out and millions would die. It's a very gutsy film and I'm surprised it got made.

I haven't read any of the other reviews yet, but I seen some talk about if this was overly religious or not.....IMO this is not a Christian themed animation. Think about it: the heart of Christianity is that man is created special in the image of God and above the animals. This film takes a 180 degree turn from that idea and says that there is only Peace on Earth after man is gone. That's the last thing we here from Grampa squirrel as he turns towards us, laughs and says: "Peace on Earth, he-he...yes suree..Peace on Earth"

The message is, it's only going to be Peach on Earth when the evil war mongering humans are all gone. That's not a Christian theme.

Another fine nom!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charlie Chaplin photo.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	29863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Peace on Earth 1939.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	29876  

Oh I didnt realise that was a silent film. Will watch it after Flankers.

I'm also surprised PoE got made bck then. It's pretty hard hitting.

If you like dogs, you should like A Dog's Life. The pouch and the tramp make quite the hapless pair. It's a fun film!
LOL 'if' I like dogs? I;m a total dog nut, CR.

Will get back to you as soon as I view it. I havent seen a silent film in I dont know how long.

Flankers - absolutely stunning, Cos. Really well made but I must admit I needed subs at times and feel I missed something because I dont get the ending. Still, gorgeous to look at, acting ws great, and the score was beautifully eery.

A dog's life is 39 minutes so might have to leave that for today. Hve to prep food for a lunch.

CR, I'm having trouble finding Atmenah. Is this the one you withdrew because it's not on the net?

Glad you liked Flankers as well, Dani.

I dont get the ending.
WARNING: "Flankers (2014)" spoilers below
Like Ed mentioned the other day, the tension between the two groups is not resolved by the end of the film. That kind of distrust is probably too inherent to truly go away, but that doesn't meant that they can't set those biases aside when someone needs help. If there's one thing Newfoundlanders are good at, it's helping out their neighbour, even if they hate each other. There's no ceremony or huge emphasis placed on the selfless act, just a quiet recognition of what happened, and who was responsible for saving for day. Things continue on like normal, because that's what usually happens in the real world.

At least that's how I saw it.

Glad you liked Flankers as well, Dani.

Very pleasing on the eye and ear, Cos (except for me not understanding some of the lines because I havent heard that accent before). This is one I need to rewatch. lawrence Barry was very good, and the angry local is very good looking - also really good actor. Do you know his name? I'll check out his filmography.

...CR, I'm having trouble finding Atmenah. Is this the one you withdrew because it's not on the net?
Yes. It's a very neat story but not on the net. So my second nom is this:

So I am replacing it with:
The Cameraman's Revenge (1912) - 13 min.

That's a shame - I ws looking forward to that but I'll write it down and keep an eye out. And thanks for the other linky. Will watch that next

lawrence Barry was very good, and the angry local is very good looking - also really good actor. Do you know his name? I'll check out his filmography.
The one with the tattoos? His name is Joel Thomas Hynes.

The one with the tattoos? His name is Joel Thomas Hynes.
He's done a lot. Thank you.

Apparently he's a recurring character on The Republic of Doyle, which is a locally shot tv series that is surprisingly watchable (it's a private eye action/drama type thing), but I only saw the first season of it, if that.

I havent heard of that. Will keep another eye out.

I havent heard of that.
I would be incredibly surprised if anyone on this site had. Some of my fellow Canadians might have seen it advertised on CBC or Netflix, but I doubt anyone has seen it. It's set (and primarily filmed) in the city I live in. A lot of episodes are up on Youtube, but it might just be from season 2 on. You used to be able to watch it for free on the CBC website, but I'm not sure if that's available outside Canada.

I think CBC geoblocks but I'll have a squizz.

Yep - geoblocked - but for any of your countryfolk it looks like the entire show is there.

Feast (2014)
Dir. Patrick Osborne

Similar to Paperman, this was cute at the very start, but I found myself losing interest the longer it went on. I knew it was called Feast, but I was a bit bored just seeing the dog eating various different foods, and wondered if that was all there was to this short. By the time we see something different happen, I wasn't very invested. Maybe it's because I've never been much of a dog person. If this was made with a cat instead, perhaps I'd find it more charming, but as it stands I just thought it was okay.

Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo (2012)

Dir. Hideaki Hanno, Shinji Higuchi

This has a serious Evangelion vibe to it. There's a great mix of practical and CG effects here. I love the miniatures and puppetry used, but the live action overlays made it feel really strange, and didn't sit very well with me. It was fine when it was just the clips spliced in at the start, but when it simultaneously appeared on screen with the animation, it put me off a bit. It was still interesting and creative, but felt more like an amateur fan project than something I assume is professional since the official Studio Ghibli seal is on it.

Peace on Earth (1939)
Dir. Hugh Harman

Christmas is a hard sell this time of year for me, but luckily the season is mostly just set dressing to a story about morality and the destructive nature of mankind. I became very amused when the grandfather started describing men, and I wasn't expecting this film to go down the war route, though perhaps I should've paid closer attention to the year this was made in. I wish those singers weren't so harsh on the ears though.