Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

Thanks. What is your favorite monster movie of the decade?
Good question! but I'm just about to head out the door, so let me think on that and I will post my top 10 monster sci fi of the 50s.

Since you have profile comments turned off, I figured I'd post here:

I watched Swiss Army Man earlier (it's what I was watching during the fire event I posted about in the Chill Club), and really liked it.

Since you have profile comments turned off, I figured I'd post here:

I watched Swiss Army Man earlier (it's what I was watching during the fire event I posted about in the Chill Club), and really liked it.
Oh sorry about that, I just turned my profile comments on. I've never used them and they've been off since I joined. But yea! they are on and open for business!

I haven't read the Chill Club, I hope the fire wasn't serious.

Glad you liked Swiss Army Man...What did you like the best? The least? any complaints?...and did you like the popcorn song!

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)
Director: George Nolfi
Writers: George Nolfi(screenplay), Philip K. Dick(short story)
Cast: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Anthony Mackie
Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller, Romance

In the present day, an up and coming political candidate (Matt Damon) runs up against a secret organization with unworldly powers to control the destiny of humans. Despite his attempts to find his true love, a dancer (Emily Blunt) who he had a chance encounter with on a bus...the mysterious force of The Adjustment Bureau keeps the two apart.

Review: Based on a short story by renowned sci fi writer Philip K. Dick called the 'Adjustment Team'. The movie draws from the Matrix with both the look and feel of the men in long trench coats and hats. Their hats are very special as they open doors that connect the city to different places, sometimes miles apart. Think of the common doors that we all use, now image if you had a device that when your turned the door knob counterclockwise would open a corridor to the other side of the city. Pretty neat.

The Adjustment Bureau is a fine, but none too serious film. It alludes to some deeper meaning to our lives suggesting that the happenstances that change our destiny, are not accidents but under the careful guidance of supreme beings, who just happen to look like everyday humans.

I actually liked Matt Damon in this, he was well suited to playing a maverick congressman running for the senate. The scenes that show him on various newscast and talk shows as he campaigned were done well.

As much as I liked Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow (2014), I didn't care for her here. Especially in the first part of the movie where she has a couple of chance encounters with Matt Damon and is suppose to be his soul mate with an instant love connection. To me she leered at him like a cross between a call girl and a stalker. Later in the film I did like her performance.

Not a bad film, not a great film.

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustment Bureau (1).jpg
Views:	510
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	28890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustment Bureau (5).jpg
Views:	487
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	28892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustment Bureau (4).jpg
Views:	486
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	28893  

They are still off Citizen! I wanted to be first haha.
That's weird, I just double checked and I checked this:
If you do not want to receive profile comments, you may disable the visitor messaging system.
Enable Visitor Messaging
Is that not it? Where's it at?

That's weird, I just double checked and I checked this:
Is that not it? Where's it at?
Yeah that's it. Do you maybe have the one below it only allowing contacts and moderators to send them ticked too? If not i don't know what it is, it's telling me they are off.

Yeah that's it. Do you maybe have the one below it only allowing contacts and moderators to send them ticked too? If not i don't know what it is, it's telling me they are off.
No, it's unchecked.

Maybe it's because I'm in Invisible Mode? Have you ever sent a profile comment to someone invisible.

Don't think it's that. I was on invisible for quite a while and i'm sure i sent and received profile comments. Could be wrong though. It doesn't really matter anyway, i was jokingly trying to get the first comment.

Don't think it's that. I was on invisible for quite a while and i'm sure i sent and received profile comments. Could be wrong though. It doesn't really matter anyway, i was jokingly trying to get the first comment.
Beat you.

Florence Foster Jenkins (2016)
Director: Stephen Frears
Writer: Nicholas Martin
Cast: Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant, Simon Helberg
Genre: Biography, Comedy, Drama

A bio-pic based on the true life story of Florence Foster Jenkins. Who was a wealthy, New York heiress with aspirations to becoming an opera singer...but one problem, she sang horribly! So her husband used their vast wealth to buy stage bookings for her and pay the audience to attend and applaud the would be song bird.

Review
: I liked this! It was a comedy that was done subtly and the comic parts came from the real life situations and not from prat falls of slap stick. It plays out like a nice and easy drama with some lighter moments to it. I really appreciate that the film makers didn't make this over the top.

Meryl Streep
is a gem, she gives us a wonderfully dear woman who is completely oblivious to the fact that she can't sing a note! The scenes with her on stage performing are funny, because she's enjoying herself even though she's no singer. That's a good message too, enjoying who you are and not worrying about the critics.

Hugh Grant has makeup to give the appearance of an older man who's the same age as Florescence. Hugh was really good in this, and this is one of my favorite movies of his. Grant and Streep really paired well and had solid chemistry.

Simon Helberg, I liked the actor, I liked his character, but I found his breathy-effeminate vocalization, contrived and too noticeable. It's a small thing and I can overlook it but I wish he had spoken in a more natural voice as I found his movie voice distracting.

Florence Foster Jenkins is another fine movie to the credit of Meryl Streep.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Florence Foster Jenkins 2016 (1).jpg
Views:	336
Size:	281.0 KB
ID:	28894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Florence Foster Jenkins 2016 (2).jpg
Views:	337
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	28895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Florence Foster Jenkins 2016 (3).jpg
Views:	330
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	28896  

The Adjustment Bureau was only mediocre for me too and aside from the basic premise I have virtually no recollection of events now.

I haven't read the Chill Club, I hope the fire wasn't serious.
Oh yeah, it was just a small fire in the kitchen. If you wanted to read my slightly amusing story about it, it's here.

Glad you liked Swiss Army Man...What did you like the best? The least? any complaints?...and did you like the popcorn song!
One of the reason why I didn't write anything about it in the RTLMYS thread is because I don't really know what to say about it. I really enjoyed Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe's performances. The writing was funny, I thought it looked great, and I liked the ending. It was borderline too ridiculous at times, but that just added to its charm for me. If there was one thing I didn't really like it would probably be...

WARNING: "Swiss Army Man (2016)" spoilers below
...the boner compass. That was a bit weird. I would've preferred a more logical explanation for that one, like...he had a genital piercing that was magnetically attracted to something in civilization. I don't know.

After a few 2016 films in a row I just couldn't get into, it was nice to watch something I actually liked.

The Adjustment Bureau was only mediocre for me too and aside from the basic premise I have virtually no recollection of events now.
I should've wrote that for my review I totally agree: The Adjustment Bureau was mediocre and forgettable.

But not a bad movie. Just no really standout moments.

....One of the reason why I didn't write anything about it in the RTLMYS thread is because I don't really know what to say about it. I really enjoyed Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe's performances. The writing was funny, I thought it looked great, and I liked the ending. It was borderline too ridiculous at times, but that just added to its charm for me. If there was one thing I didn't really like it would probably be...

After a few 2016 films in a row I just couldn't get into, it was nice to watch something I actually liked.
It was borderline too ridiculous at times, but that just added to its charm for me....
I like that! and you know what? at the start of the movie when the dead guy was gas powered and making all those weird, disguisting noises & bouncing around on the beach...I though, what the hell am I watching!...

It seemed overly silly, but then the concept grew on me and I ended up liking it...even though that type of humor is soooo not what I usually like.

My favorite body function of the dead guy was: how he had a fountain of water come out of his mouth and poor thirsty Paul Dano drank it,