The 12th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Withnail & I
(1987)
Dir. Bruce Robinson
Starring: Paul McGann, Richard E. Grant, Richard Griffiths

What happens when a couple of out of work actors coming down off a bender convince a rich uncle to lend them his rundown cottage for a little down-to-earth vacation in the countryside? The answer is certainly not the rest and relaxation they were looking for. Withnail & I is a witty, dark comedy with cult-status that I'm surprised I'd never even heard of before.

I was a little lukewarm on this at the very start, but as the film went on it became progressively funnier. Grant and McGann both give great performances and have excellent chemistry on screen. I really enjoyed all of the scenes out in the country, and was highly entertained by Monty's flirtations with “I”. The film is a clever farewell to a bygone decade, with a sombre reminder (that is still relevant) that adulthood eventually catches up to us.

I'm glad this was nominated, because I might not have come across it on my own. It's definitely a film I'll be watching again (and probably quoting) in the future.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Withnail.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	28387  

Jesus that "i know you're not asleep boy" scene haha.
My room mate walked at the start of this scene, and wondered, with a very puzzled expression, what the hell I was watching.

Then he asked if that was some guy from Harry Potter, to which I responded "I don't know, you're the one that's seen them". A quick google search later, and yes, Uncle Monty is some guy from Harry Potter, in case any one else was curious.

Hiroshima Mon Amour

So glad this was nominated. The only Resnais film i've seen is Night and Fog which i think is the best documentary (although not my favourite) i've ever seen and one of the best films overall. So i've been meaning to get to more from him, Last Year At Marienbad was what i was planning on watching but i actually heard somewhere that that is more difficult than this; not sure if that's true or not of course but i've always heard this described as one of the best starting points with Resnais. My god this film is beautiful, the visuals, the music, the script, pretty much everything. This isn't exactly an easy watch i mean it is about Hiroshima; but the way Emmanuelle Riva describes it is hauntingly beautiful. Haunting being the key word because she really got under my skin at times. I only realized after this was done that it was Riva, for those who were in the 10th Hall of Fame you may remember that i thought Amour was a very well made film but it was an extremely tough watch for me, regardless though i thought Riva was outstanding and i'd say the same here, amazing actress. I think this would be an excellent (although depressing) companion piece to Night and Fog as it is pretty similar with the obvious difference of this being fictional, particularly at the parts where we are going through the hospitals at Hiroshima or various places in the city with Riva narrating over a really hypnotic score. It's a very simple yet super effective way of telling a story; the part where we see survivors coming out the water then all sitting together in some sort of shelter all bloodied was a bit tough to watch, with this being fictional Resnais has a bit more room to jazz up the dialogue compared to Night and Fog which is alot more of a straight forward presentation, this brings a whole new dimension to it. The thing is and this is a positive in my mind at times i wasn't really concentrating on the dialogue because the visuals were so striking, i guess for a fluent French speaker like PG this would probably be the case too because he obviously doesn't need to read but i honestly don't think this was a negative for me, Riva's beautiful voice had a weird soothing effect on me that coupled with the visuals made this such a moving experience whether i was reading everything she was saying or not. Not gonna lie i did look away a couple of times too, one part in particular i was watching through my hands when presumably these doctors open this womans eyelid and i just couldn't keep watching in case they did anything to her eyeball which is something i just cannot take.

This did make me sad and especially pretty angry at times. Don't want to start any debates about the use of atomic weapons, but the prevailing opinions of most historians i've read at least (i suppose western-biased ones but anyway) seems to be that Hiroshima at least was necessary some say that Nagasaki wasn't but then again Japanese leadership did have three days to surrender between the two and didn't. The reason some think it was necessaryis because the other option was a land invasion and by this point in the war America was of course going to win and the estimated casaulties for that hypothetical war on Japanese soil greatly exceeds the amount in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Well whether you agree with any of that or not i just am so disgusted that something this horrendous could be a best case scenario in any sense, then it also angers me that by large the leaders who were pushing Japan into war and deciding not to give up after Hiroshima weren't the ones affected by this it was the normal civilians who if they had their own choice would most likely not want war at all which is true of all citizens whether the British, Germans or the people who dropped the bombs Americans. Another thing that is actually a positive (positive as in Japanese-American relations improved) that still annoys me as that as soon as the war was over America and Japan struck up one of the largest trade partnerships of all time, just a few years after they were mortal enemies which lead to this horrible suffering the big business leaders of both countries were greatly profiting together... ugh. Well anyway war sucks.

Anyway i was planning on making my posts this time shorter which i've clearly failed at here because this film greatly affected me. If i kept going it would be much longer i mean i haven't touched on the parts about her childhood and i haven't even mentioned Eji Okada's extremely intriguing role. I don't think i completely grasped everything here but it is such a beautiful film, fantastic nom PG. Only seen a few films so far this year but this is an early contender for one of my favourite first time watches this year.

My room mate walked at the start of this scene, and wondered, with a very puzzled expression, what the hell I was watching.

Then he asked if that was some guy from Harry Potter, to which I responded "I don't know, you're the one that's seen them". A quick google search later, and yes, Uncle Monty is some guy from Harry Potter, in case any one else was curious.
haha. That's my good old favourite member that isn't actually a member!

Sounds like you largely felt the same as me, you thought it improved when they got to the countryside and really liked the Monty and I parts.

By the way i was reading about the film earlier, and apparently I's name is Marwood because it's the name given in the script and you can make it out (it's upside down) on a letter.

I felt much like you did, Camo, although you seemed to get more out of it on your first viewing.
Only finished it 15 minutes ago or something and i can't stop thinking about it. Definitely not ruling out a second post from me going over all the stuff i didn't mention and possibly me viewing certain parts i don't think i totally got again; keeping the copy i have for now anyway. Great film.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
I'm glad everyone's enjoying Withnail & I! I wasn't quite sure what would be the reaction, and it's nice that people are liking it!

What did you think of the last scene Cosmic?

Mark just repped me for that Hiroshima Mon Amour review and it reminded me of this excellent thread by him - http://www.movieforums.com/community...hlight=resnais

I've only read parts of it because i'm planning on watching all of the films and i don't want to ruin anything, but it was the first place i went after i first watched Night and Fog (which he loves) and i'm now going to read his HIroshima Mon Amour (which he doesn't like as much) post which is the first one.

Mark just repped me for that Hiroshima Mon Amour review and it reminded me of this excellent thread by him - http://www.movieforums.com/community...hlight=resnais

I've only read parts of it because i'm planning on watching all of the films and i don't want to ruin anything, but it was the first place i went after i first watched Night and Fog (which he loves) and i'm now going to read his HIroshima Mon Amour (which he doesn't like as much) post which is the first one.
Read this, great stuff . I'd say it is required reading particularly the first paragraph that gives you a good idea of how Resnais saw himself as a filmmaker (unless he was lying as you said haha) i found that really interesting. I'm with you on him feeling like an "auteur" (thus disagreeing with him) i'm not sure if i'm totally convinced that's a real or relevant thing yet but from two films he fits the mold to me. Part of my post was comparing Night and Fog to Hiroshima Mon Amour which obviously isn't a big sample size but in a hypothetical scenario i honestly do think i'd be able to tell they were from the same director if i didn't already know. Suppose his later "puzzle films" (which sounds super intriguing btw even though the way you put it didn't sound very positive it makes me want to see them more haha) might be wildly different, i can see where you are coming from anyway.

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
Withnail and I - Glad this was nominated, heard alot about it and it is one of the few left on my MoFo 100 list.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - Not one of my fave Wes films but really good anyway. I'm not gonna rewatch this as i only watched it a few months back.

Casablanca - Don't like it quite as much as everyone else but it is pretty great. Don't have to see this again as i remember it well but i still might not sure yet.

Never Let Me Go
- Never heard of this, looking forward to it.

Romper Stomper - I'll rewatch this as i haven't seen it in years. Didn't like it much at the time hopefully that has changed.

Sanshiro Sugata - Awesome, a 40's Kurosawa that i haven't seen

The City of Lost Children - Don't think i've heard of this. Looking forward to it.

Barbara - Again not heard of this, looking forward to it.

Hiroshima Mon Amour - Awesome, been meaning to see more Resnais.

The Man From Nowhere - Gonna leave this to last, me and Royale have struck up an early bond but he's still pretty new so i'd rather not watch something that may get excluded, no offence. Looks good though.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - My nom. No doubt some of you will hate it but i don't really care i love it.

U-Turn - never seen it looking forward to it.

Joe - Great film. Not sure if i'm gonna rewatch it or not.

Really interesting choices . Think i'll watch Withnail tonight.
@camo
What did you mean get excluded exactly?

@camo
He's just saying you're new so we don't know for a fact you will finish. With the start you're off to, I think you have erased any doubts.

What did you think of the last scene Cosmic?
I thought it was a bit sad, yet appropriate.

WARNING: "Withnail & I" spoilers below
That's mainly what I was eluding to when I said that "adulthood eventually catches up to us". I/Marwood finally got a proper acting gig, a haircut, and is leaving Withnail behind.

Withnail is clearly a talented actor, but he's not willing to change his lifestyle with the times, or accept jobs that he thinks are beneath him. The Hamlet soliloquy seems to fit him perfectly, and was clearly an excellent choice.

@camo
Didn't mean to offend you or anything. What i meant is that if you didn't watch all of the noms then your nom would be excluded, meaning that if i watched it i couldn't vote for it anymore which would feel pointless. Regardless of whether i like it or not i watch alot of films and it is slightly annoying when someone drops out of one of these after i've watched their nom.

A few members like Cricket, Citizen, Neiba, MV, Cosmic, etc, i'm fine with watching their noms first because i know they always finish and take part in the thread. You've fit in well here already though and made a great start to this hall of fame so i'm not as nervous about watching your nom anymore

Thought The Man From Nowhere was on Netflix UK but i just checked and i'm either imagining things or it was removed. The Man Who Ate Himself To Death is but none of you low-brows would nominate that gem.

Tyler isn't here! Tyler went away! Tyler's gone!
@camo
Didn't mean to offend you or anything. What i meant is that if you didn't watch all of the noms then your nom would be excluded, meaning that if i watched it i couldn't vote for it anymore which would feel pointless. Regardless of whether i like it or not i watch alot of films and it is slightly annoying when someone drops out of one of these after i've watched their nom.

A few members like Cricket, Citizen, Neiba, MV, Cosmic, etc, i'm fine with watching their noms first because i know they always finish and take part in the thread. You've fit in well here already though and made a great start to this hall of fame so i'm not as nervous about watching your nom anymore
No offense taken, I thought their were rules that I didn't know about, like a round robin or elimination round where my nom would be eliminated.

And I checked to see if it was on Netflix but you said UK Netflix, so IDK

No offense taken, I thought their were rules that I didn't know about, like a round robin or elimination round where my nom would be eliminated.

And I checked to see if it was on Netflix but you said UK Netflix, so IDK
Nah, it's just some people drop out for whatever reason and a new member (that might be an alternate reality version of me) has obviously a decent chance of that happening because we don't know if they are going to stick around or not. As i said though you've been cool and you've got started on these early so i don't really stick by that comment anymore.

And thanks, i'll find it elsewhere it's not on Netflix UK i just thought it was for some reason.

Nah, it's just some people drop out for whatever reason and a new member (that might be an alternate reality version of me) has obviously a decent chance of that happening because we don't know if they are going to stick around or not. As i said though you've been cool and you've got started on these early so i don't really stick by that comment anymore.

And thanks, i'll find it elsewhere it's not on Netflix UK i just thought it was for some reason.
People actually drop out of these things? Lame.