CiCi's horror reviews!

→ in
Tools    

Hmm, I might watch and review it tomorrow then, because people only seem to have positive things to say about it really, and if it's as good as Martyrs then I'm sure it'll be great!
Probably time I see it again. I barely remember it. I do remember liking it though!

I guess I should probs rec something as well. You seem to like Suspiria and Argento and Italian horror is my favorite type of horror, so I recommend a Lucio Fulci film. You can pick which one, that interests you the most. My personal favorite is The Beyond. Hopefully you find him to be as fascinating a director as I do.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I guess I should probs rec something as well. You seem to like Suspiria and Argento and Italian horror is my favorite type of horror, so I recommend a Lucio Fulci film. You can pick which one, that interests you the most. My personal favorite is The Beyond. Hopefully you find him to be as fascinating a director as I do.
Swan, you don't even understand how much I adore Suspiria (except for some of the dubbing) it's perfection!

I've never seen a Fulci or even a Bava film before, I'll check them out sometime though but I'll doubt they can surpass Argento (his old, good stuff, not his new, utter sh*te stuff)

Yeah Argento is a genius. Fulci's my favorite, but his genius is a bit harder to grasp because while there is a pure cinematic beauty that's easy to see with Argento, Fulci is pure trash. In the best possible way.

Swan, you don't even understand how much I adore Suspiria (except for some of the dubbing) it's perfection!

I've never seen a Fulci or even a Bava film before, I'll check them out sometime though but I'll doubt they can surpass Argento (his old, good stuff, not his new, utter sh*te stuff)
you like italian thrillers?? yeah I watched "Torso" and hated it...it wasnt a horror film!

Who cares if it's horror or not. CiCi likes quality cinema, it seems.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch

Australia have produced some controversial films in recent times, most notably Wolf Creek which seems to be of a similar ilk to the 2009 hit, The Loved Ones. Also, I absolutely adore Australian accents, so I decided to check this one out! And thanks to Cole for recommending it!

The Loved Ones follows the disillusioned teenager, Brent (Xavier Samuel), who finds himself at the mercy of Lola (Robin McLeavy) and her 'Daddy' (John Brumpton) simply because Brent rejected Lola's offer to take her to the prom because he was already going with his current girlfriend, Holly (Victoria Thaine). Nevertheless, Lola creates a sinister plot to exact her revenge.

Positives

Robin McLeavy was fantastic in portraying Lola not only as a psychopath, but as an immature and emotionally vulnerable young girl, effectively creating a broken human being who simply cannot navigate herself around any difficult circumstances and realities that confront her. This, despite her sadistic tendencies, allows us to sympathise with her somewhat, because she comes across as a young child who was raised in an awful environment which also explains why she simply can't handle it when she is told 'no'. Additionally, when it's quickly established that Lola is a social outcast, we can't help but pity her a tiny bit, because a lot of her flaws have been created due to the actions of others, and creating a murderous psychopath who we can sympathise with is extremely difficult, so not only is Ms.McLeavy to be praised, but, the writers are as well for their co-operation with one another produced something fantastic.

The torture scenes were particularly brutal, even though we never actually saw very much explicit content really, so Sean Bryne (the director and writer of the film) did very well, especially considering this was his first feature length production. In particular, a scene involving a power drill sticks in my mind the most. However, not showing too much gore actually works massively in the film's favour, because when we eventually see the aftermath of certain events, it's hard hitting and certainly impacting in several places throughout the duration of the film.

Negatives

Sadly there are quite a few of these. To start with, there was a significant sub-plot involving this odd romance that ended up having a minimal amount of relevance to the main story. It was so pointless, and I can't understand why so much time was dedicated to it. The characters involved as well, Mia and this other boy that's so stereotypical he might as well have not have been granted a name (I can't remember it anyway) are so dull, I couldn't really find anything likeable or charming about them really, and those sequences were extremely boring. It was so bizarre, I just can't get my head round why it was there.

Another thing in consideration to the writing that I didn't enjoy at all was how they had to give Brent a tragic background, why TV shows and films constantly feel obligated to create protagonists who have been scarred by some traumatising event in the past is always lost on me, because it seems to imply that people have to be given some sort of far-fetched reason to want to achieve justice, when that's not the case. Any ordinary person would have done the same thing Brent did, and it would have made the while film feel far more authentic and real.

The acting by most of the cast was pretty mediocre as well, although the performances delivered by some of the main cast were quite weak. To start with, Xavier Samuel has the weirdest scream known to mankind, I don't know how to describe it really, if you've seen The Descent then you'll probably remember the cave dwellers? Well if you remember the weird noises they made, then you've pretty much envisioned what his scream was like, it was a weird screech that sounds absolutely nothing like an ordinary scream or vocalisation of pain, and I found it really off-putting. Mr.Samuel also shared no chemistry with his supposed girlfriend, so I had to suspend my disbelief a little bit there too. A part from that though, the acting really is okay.

I also didn't find the sadistic family dynamic very scary, and I think it's because it's been done several times before, most notably in the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre. And in recent times, it was done in Great Britain just several years prior to the release of this film, in the film Mum & Dad, which I think worked better in this particular aspect. Also, considering there are only two people threatening Brent, it feels a little bit underwhelming (don't get me wrong, it creates some magnificently wicked scenes, like the drill and kettle one) but they didn't feel so threatening, and I think it may have worked better if Brent had even more people to overcome.

Finally, the soundtrack. In the first half hour or so, there is literally always a song playing in the background, and I'm not talking about a faint, distant soundtrack, I'm talking about heavy metal, rock or pop songs blasting for a good while, and I found it really distracting, because it didn't really fit the emotion of the scenes it was paired with. However, this isn't so much of a major put off, because after this first half hour, it's nowhere as prominent or distracting at all.

Conclusion

It's difficult, because many of the positive aspects of this film were counter-balanced by major flaws too. However, Robin McLeavy was a real find, for her acting was amazing here. I want to like this film, because there's a lot of things to really like, but there are also a lot of things that put me off hugely, so I'm just going to have to go halfway and give it:

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I obviously like The Loved Ones more than you CiCi but have to agree about the sub-plot - totally unnecessary and only there to provide a little light relief which I don't think was required or worked. Robin McLeavy was outstanding and I thought John Brumpton as the father was good as well, Xavier Samuel merely adequate. Can't say the soundtrack particularly bothered me though and I thought just the two antagonists worked just fine tbh.
I forgot about John Brumpton, but yes I liked him in this. It might be because I watched this film with headphone as well that I had problems with the music at times

I think it might have been because Brumpton wasn't particularly very masculine and Lola was childlike, but they didn't seem as frightening to me as I think they were meant to be? I can certainly see why you're coming from though!

Another great and well written review, CiCi!

I read many reviews on here because I appreciate people's hard work and sometimes just want to hear their thoughts. But you're one of the few reviewers who makes reviews that I want to read because I truly enjoy them and love the way you write and because it feels different from others. I look forward to your reviews and our thoughts and opinions are often similar. Thumbs up!

In terms of the movie, I mostly hated The Loved Ones myself for many of the same reasons you described, only stronger, as well as a few others. I didn't like the way that the torture was trying to keep this movie afloat, especially since I thought it could have done it with less and more focus on the characters and inner psychology. This wasn't a toture horror that hit the spot for me, unfortunately. What I liked about film was mainly what you pointed out as well...

You seem to be generous with the rating, like if the review and rating doesn't quite match. Don't be afraid to be honest and straight on with it! ... Personally I gave it a popcorn less than you, so I obviously disliked it even more.

Once again, great review!

I have to return some videotapes.
You had close to the same rating I did, and nailed it on why.

"Am I Not Pretty Enough??" is a song i'm never going to forget though..

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Another great and well written review, CiCi!

I read many reviews on here because I appreciate people's hard work and sometimes just want to hear their thoughts. But you're one of the few reviewers who makes reviews that I want to read because I truly enjoy them and love the way you write and because it feels different from others. I look forward to your reviews and our thoughts and opinions are often similar. Thumbs up!

In terms of the movie, I mostly hated The Loved Ones myself for many of the same reasons you described, only stronger, as well as a few others. I didn't like the way that the torture was trying to keep this movie afloat, especially since I thought it could have done it with less and more focus on the characters and inner psychology. This wasn't a toture horror that hit the spot for me, unfortunately. What I liked about film was mainly what you pointed out as well...

You seem to be generous with the rating, like if the review and rating doesn't quite match. Don't be afraid to be honest and straight on with it! ... Personally I gave it a popcorn less than you, so I obviously disliked it even more.

Once again, great review!
Honestly, you have no idea what that means to me! All I can say is I'm really glad you enjoy them, and comments like those just keep me extremely motivated!

Looking at it, I think I agree with the rating, but I loved Robin McLeavy so so much in this film, she was absolutely superb, so she alone adds another whole popcorn I think.

You had close to the same rating I did, and nailed it on why.

"Am I Not Pretty Enough??" is a song i'm never going to forget though..
God, Cole don't mention that song to me, it's the most bloody dire thing I've ever listened to

Sorry to hear you weren't crazy about the film, CiCi. I'm quite a fan of it. I don't doubt your criticisms are legitimate, it's been too long since I've seen it, but when I watched it I remember simply being sucked into it from start to finish. For me it was a refreshingly unique and interesting modern horror film (If you haven't seen it, I recommend House of the Devil - I am interested to read what you think of that). I haven't seen it since it came out, however, so maybe my opinion might change.

Guess I have to high five Chyp, we're like the only two fans of the film on the board.

Chyp! -

You like The Beyond... Opinion = invalid.

just waiting for you to bring up Quarantine lol
I know you're joking, but I don't recall ever saying your opinion was invalid because you liked Quarantine. I just repeatedly said that film absolutely sucks. So hush.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Sorry to hear you weren't crazy about the film, CiCi. I'm quite a fan of it. I don't doubt your criticisms are legitimate, it's been too long since I've seen it, but when I watched it I remember simply being sucked into it from start to finish. For me it was a refreshingly unique and interesting modern horror film (If you haven't seen it, I recommend House of the Devil - I am interested to read what you think of that). I haven't seen it since it came out, however, so maybe my opinion might change.

Guess I have to high five Chyp, we're like the only two fans of the film on the board.

Chyp! -
I've heard of that, it's meant to be similar to You're Next right? If it is, I'm sure I'll love it! Thanks for the recommendation!

And I'm really sorry, I just wasn't too fussed about this film, but I totally see where you're coming from though!