The Fog
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
Vampires
Village of the Damned
Christine
Prince of Darkness
Escape From New York
Assault on Precinct 13

Where were you a few days ago when I needed some backup after my review of The Thing?
I guess I was in Belgium at the time
I didn't really have a problem with the gore, but I didn't care much for it... some of the effects were kind of silly and actually made me laugh.
I just think that this type of movie is supposed to get the viewer engaged in the action and trigger some kind of emotional response, which for me it failed to effectively deliver.
The other thing is that this material has already been done before in Alien, and it was much better.

WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
I also thought the ending was quite predictable. It's something along the lines 'Oh the guy who we suspected to be infected actually is and he disappeared. The door was locked from the outside, I wonder how he escaped.... *drumrolls* surprise, surprise... there is a hole in the floor, let's go over there and set the place on fire but only after most people already get killed... boohoo.
I mean why didn't they just blow the whole thing up to begin with and be done with it?

Welcome to the human race...
If we're doing Carpenter rankings...

Escape From New York

The Thing

Big Trouble in Little China

They Live

Halloween

In the Mouth of Madness

Escape From L.A.

Dark Star

Starman

Assault on Precinct 13

Prince of Darkness

The Fog

Christine

The Ward

Vampires

Memoirs of an Invisible Man

Village of the Damned

Ghosts of Mars

Look guys! The prime example of two women hopelessly discussing movies!^^

Imagine watching a zombie film with them, oh God...

Two drunk friends walk through a graveyard at 01 am, suddenly one of them has to go take a piss, and he do so onto a gravestone.

woman 1 - "Now hold up one minute, what are they doing at 01 am walking through a graveyard? Oh, and why does that guy take a piss directly on the gravestone when there are dusins of trees around him, geesh, doesn't he now there are zombies around, duh!"

Suddenly a hand flies up from the grave and rips the head of the pissing victim.

woman 2 - "Seriously, he ripped his entire head off?? Come on, and there wouldn't be all that blood either. Look at how he walks a few steps afterwards, totally unrealistic! And look at that other guy running around, why doesn't he call the god damn embassy and get all those zombies destroyed for good. Look! He fell. OMG seriously now, this is so stupid. I can't take this film seriously..."

every guy ever - "WOMAN! This is a zombie movie, how realistically do you think it is?! Just enjoy the fun god dammit or go back in the kitchen!"

every guy ever - "WOMAN! This is a zombie movie, how realistically do you think it is?! Just enjoy the fun god dammit or go back in the kitchen!"

Shut up and make me a sammich It's not my fault you have low standards keep complaining and I will change my pick for no.1

Honestly, if the zombie movie in question was that preposterous and there were other people around then I would be commenting on it more or less like that.

Honestly, if the zombie movie in question was that preposterous and there were other people around then I would be commenting on it more or less like that.
Guess we'll call you Iroquoisine from now on...

But really though, the zombie movie mayhem was just a stupid and exaggerated made-up example, mostly intended to create some laughs or whatever, while also shining some light on the stereotypical assumption that women question everything that doesn't need questioning during a film.

Who knew we had a feminist among us

while also shining some light on the stereotypical assumption that women question everything that doesn't need questioning during a film.
You're wrong... they're too busy cooking, cleaning and doing other womanly duties

Who's to say what does or doesn't "need" questioning, though? They could very well be raising good questions or even trying to make a joke out of something that the film was trying to take seriously.

Digging yourself deeper, dude.
You trying to piss me off here or something?

Are you actually serious about all this?

You talk about joking or asking questions towards a film that may want to be serious, while you are asking serious questions about a joke that never wanted to be serious... You kind of goes against yourself here. Just let it go already... Your determination to discuss such small thing as this seem really desperate, how about we actually have a debate about something relevant, instead of trying to pull something relevant out of obvious irrelevance?

It's a questionable joke.
Mine or yours? Because both are a joke, one way or the other.

Anyways, hope my unsuccessful zombie-joke can be put to rest now (pun perhaps intended). No need to flog a dead horse any further here...

But to all who may wonder: I'm simply being silly, there is no way I ever intended any part of it to be truly serious. If I really wanted a serious discussion on the subject I hadn't made such an exaggerated example, and if I truly was trying to put forward some kind of male chauvinist behavior I hadn't said it was a "stereotypical assumption", but instead that it was simple facts. I really don't know how anyone can take something that far out as not being a joke, but hey, I often get surprised on this forum... Anyways, hope everybody is satisfied now.

^I don't think anyone took it seriously
Not those of which the joke was aimed at,

but this looks, to me, like a pretty serious take on an creating an actual debate out of it...
Who's to say what does or doesn't "need" questioning, though? They could very well be raising good questions or even trying to make a joke out of something that the film was trying to take seriously.

Mine or yours? Because both are a joke, one way or the other.

Anyways, hope my unsuccessful zombie-joke can be put to rest now (pun perhaps intended). No need to flog a dead horse any further here...

But to all who may wonder: I'm simply being silly, there is no way I ever intended any part of it to be truly serious. If I really wanted a serious discussion on the subject I hadn't made such an exaggerated example, and if I truly was trying to put forward some kind of male chauvinist behavior I hadn't said it was a "stereotypical assumption", but instead that it was simple facts. I really don't know how anyone can take something that far out as not being a joke, but hey, I often get surprised on this forum... Anyways, hope everybody is satisfied now.
Fair enough. It can be a little hard to tell the difference without winking smileys or whatever, and even then there are people who might use the whole "I was just joking" line as a means of backpedaling and avoiding taking responsibility for an unpopular opinion that they might genuinely hold. I'm not saying that's what you did here, but you can see why I'd want to know for certain.

Anyway, I think that The Thing is a fair film to subject to scrutiny. The vagueness of the creature's characteristics and its effect on the plot and characters mean the film is much more open to interpretation than your typical horror film. As such, supposed plot holes can have suitable explanations and trying to develop theories as to what happened one way or another is part of the fun.

Fair enough. It can be a little hard to tell the difference without winking smileys or whatever, and even then there are people who might use the whole "I was just joking" line as a means of backpedaling and avoiding taking responsibility for an unpopular opinion that they might genuinely hold. I'm not saying that's what you did here, but you can see why I'd want to know for certain.
Okay, I can see where you are coming from now. But still I think I did everything in the spirit of telling a joke to make it clear that it wasn't serious - smileys, immature language, exaggerated mannerisms, and everything. But I know what you mean about backpedaling, though I can assure you that wasn't what I was trying to do. Of course I don't know how well you know me as of yet, though I have been here more than seven months, but one of my strongest personality aspects is that I always stand by what I say, and that I always am an honest person, not afraid to state my honest opinion on things, and neither do I make clouded statements (in terms of where I stand) on any subjects whatsoever. It should be clear when I'm serious and when I'm not.

But after all you can always be misunderstood of course, it depends on the person reading it and sometimes a little word or a little wink can change the entire thing completely.