Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Elder Bush Accused Of Touching From Wheel Chair (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=51742)

Des 10-25-17 11:57 AM

Elder Bush Accused Of Touching From Wheel Chair

With his wife Barbara by his side, Heather Lind claimed on Instagram ( which almost immediately she deleted ) that Bush SR. touched her from behind, telling her a dirty joke, all this while the two were being photographed.
I would really like to know what exactly is it that he touched and what exactly is it that he said before committing to an opinion.

gandalf26 10-25-17 12:37 PM

Re: Elder Bush Accused Of Touching From Wheel Chair

Saucy old hermit.

Velvet 10-25-17 12:51 PM

I think Ive spotted the culprit

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Cape_Town.jpg

Des 10-25-17 12:52 PM

I would like to add that this " touching " happened 4 years a go.
Seem so me that under the current climate one should make sure to bring along a chaperone when meeting with a strange woman, alas, even though that still might not be enough.
Maybe the pharmaceutical companies could come up with a " short term " abstinence pill, to be taken prior to encounter, just to be on the safe side,

Camo 10-25-17 01:01 PM

Sounds like he did something, i mean he apologized:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41752488

"President Bush would never - under any circumstance - intentionally cause anyone distress, and he most sincerely apologises if his attempt at humour offended Ms Lind," a statement supplied to outlets including the Daily Mail and People magazine said.

Des 10-25-17 01:19 PM

Sure he apologized, but that in itself does not make him guilty of any thing. He prefaced the apology basically by saying he did not mean to offend and is sorry that his humor got misinterpreted.
My take is that he might have touched her arm to get her attention and said some joke, which she might have perceived to be offensive.
They were being photographed and filmed, so I would love to be able to pull up the footage and see if there was a visibly offended reaction by her.
That she waited 4 years to out somethin like this ( especially did not during Obama's administration ) casts serious doubts as to her credibility.

Camo 10-25-17 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Des (Post 1809267)
That she waited 4 years to out somethin like this ( especially did not during Obama's administration ) casts serious doubts as to her credibility.
It's not surprising that someone would be afraid to say something about a former president, don't be silly.

That apology confirms there was an incident, and the way it's worded to me sounds like there was a dirty joke so i see no reason to disbelieve her about the touching. Possibly he touched her low since he was on a wheelchair and at that height, that coupled with the dirty joke creeped her out which is perfectly reasonable.

Des 10-25-17 01:52 PM

humor = dirty joke ??? Assumptions can make YOU look silly. You don't know all the facts and Bush Sr. said humor ( not dirty joke ). Keep sniping away. So far you are missing the target. Maybe you are shooting blanks.

ash_is_the_gal 10-25-17 01:55 PM

we get it, Des. she's a lying whore.

Camo 10-25-17 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Des (Post 1809292)
. You don't know all the facts
Neither do you and all you've tried to do is come up with excuses for him, which could ya know be a reason women are afraid to come forward with this sort of stuff in the first place.

What we do know is something did happen and that Bush Sr made some type of joke, she claims it was a dirty one and that there was touching involved. I believe her.

Dani8 10-25-17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Des (Post 1809267)
Mind.Blown. Your mind works in mysterious ways that's for sure.

Des 10-25-17 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1809297)
Neither do you and all you've tried to do is come up with excuses for him, which could ya know be a reason women are afraid to come forward with this sort of stuff in the first place.

What we do know is something did happen and that Bush Sr made some type of joke, she claims it was a dirty one and that there was touching involved. I believe her.
Fair enough. I don't know all the facts but I am trying to find out and give the very elderly former president the benefit of doubt.
He is one guy that I am pretty sure did not mess around. He is a very controlled individual and unless completely senile, would almost never make that kind of a gaff in front of an audience. Now, if some other women suddenly come forward and make similar type of accusations, perhaps I might change my mind.
You believe her, as do probably a lot of the democrats who have no clue who Bush Sr. was and is.
I take him at his word and don't need his dog Millie to bark for approval.

I. Rex 10-25-17 02:17 PM

Maybe hes beginning to take after Bobby Knight. Knowing what I know about the man I have my doubts. It doesnt at all jive with his character. But maybe senility is really overtaking him. I certainly dont know anything about the situation or the person involved so I'll not make a declaration one way or the other on the butt grabbing. But introducing himself with a dirty joke is probably not the wisest approach.

Camo 10-25-17 02:18 PM

All i believe for sure is that something happened that made her very uncomfortable, i even offered an alternate explanation than Bush deliberately abused her. Something happened, Bush confirmed it. You are the one who immediately dismissed her claims and went into "Seem so me that under the current climate one should make sure to bring along a chaperone when meeting with a strange woman, alas, even though that still might not be enough. Maybe the pharmaceutical companies could come up with a " short term " abstinence pill, to be taken prior to encounter, just to be on the safe side," mode.

Then hilariously after trying to handwave her claims away you then questioned why she'd not come forward with this sooner when you were a prime example of that in this thread.

Also Des you are banned member Cinemaafficionado right? Was talking to another member about this the other day and i'm pretty sure you are.

Des 10-25-17 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1809312)
All i believe for sure is that something happened that made her very uncomfortable, i even offered an alternate explanation than Bush deliberately abused her. Something happened, Bush confirmed it. You are the one who immediately dismissed her claims and went into "Seem so me that under the current climate one should make sure to bring along a chaperone when meeting with a strange woman, alas, even though that still might not be enough. Maybe the pharmaceutical companies could come up with a " short term " abstinence pill, to be taken prior to encounter, just to be on the safe side," mode.

Then hilariously after trying to handwave her claims away you then questioned why she'd not come forward with this sooner when you were a prime example of that in this thread.

Also Des you are banned member Cinemaafficionado right? Was talking to another member about this the other day and i'm pretty sure you are.
What? Who? Is this another one of your conspiracy theories?
Dude, you need to get a life, instead of sitting in the shadows and sniping at people whose opinions differ than yours.
People with your attitude I wouldn't even allow on these forums but, as we know, it's not up to me.

ynwtf 10-25-17 02:27 PM

I don't get hard either/or views. I don't read these comments as a witch hunt to take sides on and defend. I can honestly see blue jokes being offered in some contexts that are not at all unusual, without intent to offend but to be a smart ass for a laugh. There's a gradient there from making a joke off-the-cuff that probably could have best been used on another audience (relatively innocent, if just poor judgment) to full on sexual assault implications. I think we all know our acquaintances and what is appropriate for each circle of friends and colleagues. Sometimes those lines blur and missteps are made due to any number of reasons, depending on your own level of self awareness and ideas of what's socially acceptable or not.

I doubt he meant anything by it in the way it might have been interpreted, but I can absolutely also relate to how someone MIGHT interpret it given that individuals own perspective and experience.

MY point here is that believing she is being truthful does not at the same time mean he must be a liar. He saw it as heads, she as tails. Regardless of their own views on the matter, the coin still exists. Acknowledging that coin's existence and the reality of differing views is not taking sides and does not deserve reactionary postures.

Just strange stuff to me.

*EDIT*
damnit. I always end up quoting myself when I just want to edit it. grrrr. Oh well . I forgot what I was trying to... oh wait!!! It was something about me not knowing or really caring what happened here. I was just commenting on the method of argument and the act of drawing lines in general. Maybe Bush slapped her fanny. Maybe he brushed her elbow and she took it wrong. Don't know. Don't care. Just ramming my observations down everyone's forum throat.

Camo 10-25-17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Des (Post 1809314)
What? Who? Is this another one of your conspiracy theories?
Dude, you need to get a life, instead of sitting in the shadows and sniping at people whose opinions differ than yours.
People with your attitude I wouldn't even allow on these forums but, as we know, it's not up to me.
It's weird that you repped my conspiracy theory.

Citizen Rules 10-25-17 02:33 PM

I'm not a Conservative, if anything I'm more of a Liberal/Independent. I say that to preface my post, so you all know I'm not cheering for the team.

From everything I remember of Bush Sr when he was President, he was a gentleman and a kind person. I didn't always like his politics, but I respected him.

If he says that the touching of the young ladies bottom during a photo-op was unintentional, I believe him.

I believe Heather Lind is telling the truth too, as she believes it. But I'd guess (because that's all we can do) is that she interrupted his actions as something other than innocent.

How many times have us guys hugged a female relative an accidentally touch their bottom or boob? It happens all the time, now if you made a light joke about it, and someone was prone to see a 'boogie man behind every tree', then there you go, you'd have a 'case' of sexual harassment when none was intended.

Des 10-25-17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1809319)
It's weird that you repped my conspiracy theory.
I did not rep your conspiracy theory, just the first sentence of your rebuttal. I just did not bother to break it all down. Unlike you, I am open minded enough but I really see no pint in discussing stuff with you any further.

Camo 10-25-17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1809325)
I believe Heather Lind is telling the truth too, as she believes it. But I'd guess (because that's all we can do) is that she interrupted his actions as something other than innocent.
I offered a potential explanation because i don't believe she is lying, doesn't mean Bush deliberately abused her either then Cinemaafficianado accused me of sniping behind the tress at him or something crazy:

That apology confirms there was an incident, and the way it's worded to me sounds like there was a dirty joke so i see no reason to disbelieve her about the touching. Possibly he touched her low since he was on a wheelchair and at that height, that coupled with the dirty joke creeped her out which is perfectly reasonable.