Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies that seem to only scare you (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=42216)

liamcallahan 07-23-15 11:34 PM

Movies that seem to only scare you

I'm not a big horror guy, not because I'm scared, more because I'm not. The horror genre has gotten really REALLY lazy. ANYWAY more to the point. Sometimes I watch a movie, I don't expect it to scare me at all, then I have to turn it off. My example is Sunshine. A lot of people don't even notice the flashing grinning faces of all the dead crew that pop up while they search the dead crews ship. I was so terrified by it I turned off the film and stayed up all night and watched the rest of the movie at dawn because no way was I watching that in the pitch black. While I waited for dawn I mostly researched it out of curiosity. What are some other movies that may have terrified you lovely folks but nobody else?

Citizen Rules 07-23-15 11:49 PM

Re: Movies that seem to only scare you

The Blair Witch Project....laugh if you want, it scared me.

honeykid 07-24-15 04:03 PM

Pinocchio. As people on this site know, that's not a joke. Also The Entity.

The Rodent 07-24-15 04:43 PM

Sunshine didn't spook me, it intrigued me. I wrote a review a couple weeks ago too.

Agree with the original War Of The Worlds though, not the whole film though, just one scene: Still to this day, the scene where you see the Martian outside the window freaks me out.
I saw it first when I was about 3 or 4 years old... 30 years later and I still close one eye when that scene starts.

The Rodent 07-24-15 04:46 PM

One movie, Arachnophobia. I mentioned this in the Shoutbox the other day.
The movie doesn't scare me, nor do spiders, none of the scenes make me squeal and I don't get spooked at all by it.

However, ever since I watched the film 20 something years ago, I check around the toilet before I sit down.

rambond 07-25-15 02:21 PM

first film that scared me was the exorcist, the entity is another one also, a classic from 1981, among other films, when i saw insidious, man this film is really disturbing.

Gideon58 07-25-15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 1357765)
One movie, Arachnophobia. I mentioned this in the Shoutbox the other day.
The movie doesn't scare me, nor do spiders, none of the scenes make me squeal and I don't get spooked at all by it.

However, ever since I watched the film 20 something years ago, I check around the toilet before I sit down.
I wouldn't say Arachnaphobia scared me, but I definitely found it repellent...not a big spider fan. One movie that did scare the hell out of me the first time I saw it was Hitchcock's The Birds...I still get a little nervous when I see three or more birds gathered together.

DrSpengler 07-26-15 03:14 AM

Tales From The Crypt, 1972 British horror anthonlogy. Way more macabre and greusome than I expected.

dadgumblah 07-26-15 04:16 AM

The Exorcist I saw this at 13-years-old when the movie was one-year old and it didn't bother me. Don't know why. However, when I was about 18-years-old and house-sitting one night for my parents, all alone in the house, the movie came on network television for the first time, edited to pieces naturally and it really bothered me. I wasn't scared watching it but afterwards, in the empty house, all alone, I began to think of the implications of the movie, ala losing one's soul or even being the one having to do the exorcising, and I was unnerved greatly. Every little creak from the house or car going by outside made me jumpy. So, it definitely freaked me out and my parents wondered why I had all the house lights on when they got home. I'll watch pretty much anything but I will not watch that movie again. :eek:

Tugg 07-26-15 04:20 AM

Demonic possession movies are scariest.

Greeny Pillar 07-27-15 11:22 AM

Have you ever seen The 1939 Wizard of Oz ? That`s what I call a scary movie! The make up is really terrifying.

Cole416 07-27-15 11:32 AM

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Greeny Pillar 07-28-15 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cole416 (Post 1359134)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
I can agree to that, there is something damn devilish in this stuff